Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Concealed carry in a cargo pocket.

I work security part time on weekends. We are getting fitted for vests soon and I feel that if they want me to wear a vest, I think I need to have my gun.

I have always wanted to carry while on duty, especially since my regular patrol takes me into alleys at 3am. But I am not allowed to carry at work. So basically I need to be able to carry with some strong stipulations.

1. Must be concealed well enough that no one would know it's there unless I had to use it, then I obviously don't care if it's known while saving my life.

2. Anything on the waste is no-go. I wear a full duty belt and my shirt must be tucked in.

3. I realize that deep concealment means slower draw, but I don't want it to be too slow.

I know that I can carry my snub on my ankle so that is a possibility, although not very easy/quick to get to.

I really don't want to rely on front pocket carry because my duty belt makes getting into my front pockets a little cumbersom. I carry change and my folding knife in there, because I don't need to access them quickly.

My duty pants are Mil-spec Cargo pants. I was thinking of some sort of pocket holster that would hold my XD9SC in my cargo pocket. I have seen the organizers they sell to go in the cargo pocket that have little pockets for a notepad, pens, ID and such. I thought maybe I could modify one of these to securely carry my XD.
    Is there already a holster made for this? I have searched a bit but have not come up with much.

I did find the inside the pants thigh rig, but that requires cutting the pants, not to mention I'm not sure how I'd attach to my belt at the top.

Any ideas?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Concealed carry in a cargo pocket.

I know that you said you don't want to carry in the front pocket, but I would reconsider that if I were you.

I'd say move the knife and the keys to the cargo pocket and only have your snubbie in the right front pocket in a pocket holster. I have a POS Uncle Mikes' that works perfectly after I carefully removed the waistband clip.

(Bucks County)

Kel-Tec P3-AT. I carry it rear pocket and forget it's there. Super easy to conceal.

(Philadelphia County)

I once saw a company that made cargo pants where the cargo pocket was actually a velcro tear-away.

I can't remember the name for the life of me however, I'll see if I can find it.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Jefferson County)

I dont mean to run this thread off track, but wouldn't carrying while on duty require Act 235 Cert. even if you aren't being made to carry as part of employment??
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Adams County)

As I understand it, ACT 235 is only for required carry while on duty, for duty.
    Perhaps I am wrong.

I would only be carrying for my own defense.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    I know that you said you don't want to carry in the front pocket, but I would reconsider that if I were you.

I'd say move the knife and the keys to the cargo pocket and only have your snubbie in the right front pocket in a pocket holster. I have a POS Uncle Mikes' that works perfectly after I carefully removed the waistband clip.

It has nothing to do with stuff in my pockets. My duty belt and all the crap on it makes getting to the pockets difficult.

Which is weird considering I have a 50" waste and can't seem to find room for all my stuff. Mostly because I try to keep my back totally clear between 4 O-clock and 8 0-clock.

with enough practice you should beable to get a gun out of an ankle rig in a reasonable amount of time.

(Erie County)

I've never tried one in a cargo pocket but these Desantis pocket holsters do a fine job in a leather vest pocket. The outside material is very sticky so that you end up only drawing the weapon from the pocket. As long as the model and the weapon fit in the cargo pocket well it might work. I've never carried in a pants pocket before as I don't care for such loose fitting clothes.

I know it is ultimatley up to you, but I would rather have the snubbie SECURED to my ankle.
    Jules

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast