Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Slugs or Buck for HD?

I'm more versed in rifles and pistols, but I picked up a nice 870 12 gauge a few weeks back at Targetmaster. What do you more experienced shotgunners use for HD?

Default Re: Slugs or Buck for HD?

My HD 870 is all 00. My feeling are if you are going to your SG its most likely late your sleepy and in a fog. Why chance a miss with a slug. The 00 ought to at least hit some part of the BG!

Keep in mind your house set up and what your wall are made of and who may be on the other side. I live in a single home and over penetration is not a concern for me. In my old house over penetration was a major concern as I lived in half a double.
    Last edited by Daycrawler; October 20th, 2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: add
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    My HD 870 is all 00. My feeling are if you are going to your SG its most likely late your sleepy and in a fog. Why chance a miss with a slug. The 00 ought to at least hit some part of the BG!
    Have you ever patterned 00 buck before? It doesn't spread enough at close range to "compensate" for a bad shot. At 25 yards out of an 18" barrel and cylinder choke the spread is about as big as your hand.

The penetration is more of an issue IMO.

FWIW I use 00 buck.

(Clinton County)

Get a little of both worlds and reload some buck n ball loads for you shotgun.

I use Steel shot #4

CL

(Berks County)

Mine (Wingmaster 12) is currently loaded with a mix of Hornady TAP and Winchester Ranger #00 mini-magnums.

You could use rifled slugs, though I wouldn't use anything more powerful than a WinLite in 12 gauge. Full-power slugs have high penetration and repeat shot placement is difficult - especially in the middle of the night.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

Over penetration has to be a concern no matter what shotgun load you are using. Even small loads can go right through interior walls too. Here is a video if you don't believe me, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HlNiUpTkLU (and there are tons more like this).

In any event, you just need to be aware of what is on the other side of the wall that you are aiming at. With that said, I use 00 buckshot since I am most comfortable getting multiple shots on target quickly and accurately with it and it has enough power behind it to stop a threat. I also keep 3 slugs in the side saddle of the shotgun just in case the situation should call for it.

I agree with bac0nfat as well. buckshot is not going to magically compensate for a crappy shot. You still need to make the shot count every time you squeeze the trigger.

(Monroe County)

Won't the bad-guy just crap his pants and flee when he hears you "rack" your shotgun?

I know some don't like the flashlight mounted on the HD shotgun,because it gives your location away, but it does give you an idea of where the shot pattern will hit.
    I use Centurion Buck and ball

Spblademaker, I guess poop is way easier to clean up than to fix a bloody hole in the wall the size of a milk jug
    Last edited by bigandy1966; October 21st, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for all of the posts everyone, this thread has been very enlightening, I appreciate your info! I have had rifles and pistols my entire life, and recently have gotten into shotguns, needless to say it's a completely different ball game. Luckily this weekend on Saturday to be specific I'm getting out of this city for a couple of days and out to the nice countryside, my family cabin, I'm bringing the 870, it's not the first shotgun I've ever shot, but it's the first time that I'll be shooting this one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast