Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Delco Field and Stream?

I've driven through the property and it seems very nice. However, some of the posted rules seem rediculous. I don't need combat shooting but 1 round max in a rifle isn't even great practice for regular old markmanship. Doesn't look like you can shoot prone either?

Any members or guests on these boards? I'd like to join one of these types of clubs in the future but maybe Delco just isn't for me.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Delco Field and Stream?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    I don't need combat shooting but 1 round max in a rifle isn't even great practice for regular old markmanship. Doesn't look like you can shoot prone either?
    DCF&S has both the Fudd country club rules like "only one round in the rifle at once" AND the anti-gun-kowtow rule of "no CCW on premises."

NFW do they get my money.

(Delaware County)

I have been thier as a guest and was not to impressed with the range and rules.
    Ranges are run down. I am looking into the southern chester county sportsman club, it just 15 min. more of a ride but it looks like a better club.

(Delaware County)

You can shoot prone at the high power and small bore ranges. High power you can load up to 5 rounds.

Riding through won't tell you much. Stop and look around and visit the main club house, we'd glad to answer any questions that you have.

Most of the rules are for safety due to the high amount of people at the shooting line at times. Gives people a chance to change targets, etc.

Yes, I'm a member and I don't agree with some of the rules. Exceptions can be done for example:

I have a 30-30 Contender. I couldn't shoot it at the high power range cause it's a handgun and I can't shoot it at the pistol range cause it's a rifle caliber.

After talking to the pistol range officer of my problem, I got permission to shoot it at the 50 yard area at the pistol range.

Now if I just went there and starting shooting, all hell would break loose. It doesn't hurt to ask. Sometimes rules can be changed just by asking about them.

Just my .02, at a reduced rate.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the info. My friend's neighbor is a member and he said he'd take us as guests when it warms up a bit, so I guess I'll get to see for myself one of these days.

(Delaware County)

Delaware County Field and Stream is convenient in distance to most of its members which is the reason for its large membership considering the population of Delaware County. Its unfortunate though that the organization has more rules than most nursing homes. No this, that, and the other, but the classic is no holstered weapons, that according to the club web site.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    , but the classic is no holstered weapons, that according to the club web site.
    And that is not lost to the antis, who have quoted this web page to demonstrate that even gun owners don't like CCW

(Philadelphia County)

as far as i'm concerned it is an anti gun organization, or at least anti self-defense.

(Montgomery County)

Oh I had to register just to chime in my two cents on the place. I'm a packing.org refugee.

There's a big difference between what the rules are and how the rules are enforced. They had a huge pissing contest a few years ago (5ish?) about the range officers and the board and a lot of guys left. They've had a hell of a time getting people to volunteer for the jobs ever since.

Here's my take:
    Blackpowder: Largely unsupervised. The only time the range officer gets involved is when there's a cowboy action match or someone wants to shoot something like black powder 45-70. The range offer is usually hanging out in the clubhouse and keeps to his buddies, so he's around if you need him and leaves you be if you don't.
    Highpower: Also largely unsupervised. So long as no-one is ripping off a 30 round clip, no-one seems to really care. I've got a Marlin 30-30 and they're notoriously a pain to load singly, but I've never had any problems from other members for putting three in there and taking my time with it. About four years ago someone stole everything out of the bunker here that wasn't bolted to the floor including the heaters.
    Pistol: The one range officer is a pain. Even if everyone else is ready for a cease-fire, if he's not ready for a cease fire you don't get a cease fire. The guy who's a pain we've taken to calling "Camo Dan", he's usually floor to ceiling camo and could model for the Army/Navy Elderly and Angry section. To his defense, the range seems to attract a lot of the Targetmaster crowd, and they don't know what to do without motorized targets, so he must put up with more handholding people than the other officers. I haven't had very much in the way of positive interaction with him.
    Smallbore: The range officer is a really nice guy (he's usually shooting steel plates and happy to help). He is usually there and will lend you tools if you find you're lacking something. Again, if you're not ripping off a clip, he doesn't really care. The only rule is that anything heavier than 22LR is shot in lane 10 and 11 (marked "MAGNUM" on the backstop). Two years ago or so the club solicited donations because someone shot holes in all the steel plates (and the backstop).
    Shotgun ranges: Generally everyone is really friendly on the shotgun ranges. Never had a problem here. Largely unsupervised, everyone gets along.
    Air gun ranges: Same as above. Range officer is usually there and spends most of his time pumping the guns for the kids.
    Archery: The range officer is always there or one of his buddies. They are extremely helpful and will front you equipment if you forget something.

I would say my experience there is generally positive. Like anything else it's not 100% how I would run things if God died and they elected me his replacement. The pistol range is the only one that strikes me as needing more or different supervision. If you live in delco, it's worth checking out and more importantly shooting at. During hunting season the place can be armpit to elbow, but now that it's fishing season the place is a ghost-town. The website is being redesigned. Other plusses are that there's club events which aren't shooting. Recently we had an easter egg hunt on the archery range for the kids, everyone had fun. They do nature walks, fishing instruction classes, taxidermy class, that sort of thing. The events are posted online and on the clubhouse whiteboard.

I would say I'm pretty satisfied as a club member.

(Delaware County)

I am glad you like it.

Now, if they can their anti carry gun and anti-self defense attitude, I might too.

Ted

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast