Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default New LTCF and Pistols

Hi all,

I've been a member on the board for awhile and just returned from 17 months work in Iraq. I got my LTCF in Cumberland County before I left early in 2010, but never carried, and have bought two carry guns since I returned, a Glock 21 .45 cal and compact Kahr CW40 .40.

I grew up in a gun-owning family in WV, carried and qualified with a .45 in the Navy, and qualified with and carried an M-9 as an adviser in Iraq so have some familiarity with guns.

For the time being I want to carry concealed. Every day since I started I have had to mentally adjust or solve some problem that I didn't anticipate. I do some volunteer work, bowl, belong to some fellowships, and have some friends that would probably not respond too well if they hugged me and felt a pistol.

Aside from all that, I'm also pretty determined to carry it since it won't do any good back home in a box. I'd be interested in how other people dealt with that.

I now have OWB, IWB, and pocket holsters. I'm pretty comfortable with the .45 IWB and/or the Kahr inside my pocket.

I signed up for a CCW class at Bass Pro starting November 5th and for a handgun marksmanship class at Direct Action Tactical the 29th of this month.

I bought a range pass and plan on shooting at the public range on 74 South of Dillsburg.

Any suggestions or feedback would be welcome ...

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: New LTCF and Pistols

welcome back from a fellow mech. resident. if some of your friends might show some discomfort with you carrying try starting a discussion on their views before they find out you do. you will probably get some insight on their feelings on this topic. they may surprise you and be totally cool with it. i stopped worrying about other peoples nervousness along time ago. it takes awhile to get comfortable cc or oc around others. be prepared to have answers to the questions or comments you will encounter and also be ready to just walk away from the occasional ass that confronts you. btw there is a good shop in town on york st. mechanicsburg ordnance. rich is the owner, he has a rep for being helpful with anything you may need. ph. # 766-9606. be safe, shoot straight, shoot often, red dog

(York County)

Default Re: New LTCF and Pistols

Welcome back! Maybe once you get the whole carry thing all sorted out we should do another Gettysburg trip.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Cumberland County)

Well I could just duct tape them on somewhere. I'm ready to go to GB at any time.

(McKean County)

Thank you for your service!

Most of the time my Gen III sets IWB on my 3 o'clock. Sometimes, when I know I will be down to a T shirt and shorts in the gym, I put my 642 in my zippered parka pocket or sweat shirt and carry it with me to each station. I can imagine bowling, might try the parka pocket thing, draping your parka (or jacket) over the back of the bench / chair.

If you have a good IWB holster that sits behind your hip you might be able to bowl with a long-tailed shirt?

I'm not an OWB fan, but completely respect anyone who does open carry. But OWB might get in the way of your swing.

I hope your CCW class goes well, but not every trainer is up to speed on the correct legal verbiage; you might hear the full gamut of superstitious rules and laws and other nonsense, so be sure YOU read and know our the laws. I had a Chief of Police tell me once that Open Carry is fine but as soon as someone complains I would get arrested for disturbing the peace.... A magistrate told me I was not allowed to carry in a bank... :sheesh:
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Lackawanna County)

It took me awhile to get used to carrying. I've had a gun in the home for a long time, but I still didn't feel comfortable carrying, mostly because holster options for me suck. I finally dedicated myself to carrying on a more regular basis, because of the hours and neighborhood I work in. That, and some gentle prodding from my boyfriend, who doesn't go anywhere unarmed.

Welcome home.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all, @Red dog - I found that shop in a previous post you answered and dropped my .45 up there today for some work . I'm finding the .40 is a lot more comfortable to carry in a pocket holster. I'm a big guy who usually wears something with cargo pockets and it fits very well. I don't have to constantly wonder whether or not it's showing. Thanks again!