Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default NRA Basic Pistol Class Questions

I've owned guns for several years now and have been shooting every once in awhile (when time and money permits). I'd like to start taking some formal training, and figured it'd be a good idea to start with the basics to make sure I have those down before moving on. Plus, I'll be able to get my dad and a friend up to speed, and make sure we're all at the same level so we can hopefully take future classes together.

My questions regarding the NRA Basic Pistol Course are this:

• Is it worthwhile or is it extremely basic?
    • Are all NRA Basic Pistol Classes (or any NRA class for that matter) pretty much the same? I've seen a wide range of prices for the NRA Basic Pistol course, ranging from $40 and no need to bring your own gun (they have .22's for everyone) to $125 and bring your own gun and 50 rounds of ammo.

I would have thought that the NRA had a strict format for the courses and a consistent price, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any feedback you all have regarding the Basic Pistol course would be great. I'm familiar with how to clean my gun, what most of the parts are, how to check whether a gun is loaded, the 4 rules of gun safety, etc. I'm primarily interested in learning proper shooting stances/techniques and maybe a few other things that I'm not yet aware of.

The only "formal" training I've taken was the Utah CFP class.

(Berks County)

Default Re: NRA Basic Pistol Class Questions

I was under the impression that the class was structured so that it followed NRA criteria. I've taken an NRA Basic Pistol Safety class with my wife a few years ago but seeing you mention a wide range of prices, my experience may wind up being a little different that yours.

I don't remember what my wife and I paid for our classes but I know it was at the high end of your spectrum (I think is was in the neighborhood of $125 per person). We were given private instruction and were not part of a larger group.

We met with our instructor at a coffee shop and spent ~2 hours going through the NRA Basic Pistol handbook and discussing safety and situations we may find ourselves in. After we were finished with the bookwork, we headed over to the range.

The pace was very slow and we reviewed some of the bookwork with an unloaded gun. We shot seated with the gun on a rest as well as standing, at about 7 yards. We were taught a proper stance and trigger pull but the emphasis was just on getting us shooting safely.

We had to bring our own gun to "qualify" with (given a certificate when we were finished) and 2 boxes of ammo but the instructor brought a .22 for my wife to warm up with. Once we were finished shooting we were then taught how to clean the guns.

The total time for the class was about 5 hours. I'd say it was broken down to be about 2 hours of classroom-like time, 2 hours of shooting, and an hour of cleaning and talking.

I had very little experience with pistols and my wife had never handled any type of gun when we took the class. Both of us were pleased with the class and I'm actually thinking about taking one of the more advanced NRA Pistol Classes at some point.

(Allegheny County)

It seems there is no set criteria besides the book and written test. Where i took it - it was 3 hours a night for 4 nights i think (been awhile) we used the instructors 22 revolvers and the last night we brought our own guns to shoot. We stood/ sat/ both hands/ one hand left handed/ gun cleaning etc. and at different distances.

I spoke with another club and they do not do any of this so it all depends on where you go.

I enjoyed my class a lot and sad that my instructor has been admitted to a nursing home after some strokes. It was a fun class and I would love more classes as it was quite basic but a good start.

To add/ it was around $65 i think and there were 6 of us with 3 instructors mostly.

(Allegheny County)

Its extremely basic. Its a good start, don't get me wrong, but your also likely to be bored to tears if you are experienced.

I know your joining PMSC , we have Larry Vickers coming for his Level 1 Pistol next July 7-8 . http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/...vel/Detail.bok
    JUMP ON IT

There are no prerequisites for the class but I know Jay Cunningham is a VSM endorsed instructor and does a one day VSM pistol that might be up your alley.

Check him out at http://www.lowspeed-highdrag.com/

I thought it was good for a first course. Not much shooting, more classroom.

But you can't ever get too much of the basics.

Hope this link works, Michael Bane did a podcast covering training that I listened to earlier today.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/down-ra...he-ugly/11182/

(Allegheny County)

Thank you all for the helpful responses. It's definitely interesting to see the variety of prices, formats, and even instruction that you can get in the "same course" taught by many different people.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to sign up for the NRA Basic Pistol class. My concern is that the classroom portion will be so basic that it turns my dad and friend off of pursuing any further training. I think something with a little more focus on shooting would be more enjoyable, since all of us have been shooting for a few years at least.

I'll definitely look into those other training courses that you mentioned Shawn!

I've only taken two classes so far, I'd like to get in the habit of doing one a year, different instructors. More or less the basics being reinforced by real life, practical scenarios.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by wwhite72082 View Post
    I was under the impression that the class was structured so that it followed NRA criteria.

The total time for the class was about 5 hours. I'd say it was broken down to be about 2 hours of classroom-like time, 2 hours of shooting, and an hour of cleaning and talking.
    The NRA criteria for the "NRA basic pistol shooting course" is 8 hours. After each hour there should be a 10 min break. There is a lesson plan that lays out the entire course.
    My cost of a course are heavily due to the cost of the classroom and range. My insurance cost is $50/month. There is the cost of ammo and occasionally gunsmith expenses also. The student packet is a slight expense.
    There are situations where the instructor can shorten the course a little. Like if the student has been loading his own ammo. Quizzing him a little to verify his knowledge may make the hour lesson on ammunition shorter.
    Mostly the course is shortened by leaving out material ! This happens when the instructor does not follow the lesson plan.
    NRA Training Counselor
    Last edited by Rodolfo Fierro; October 27th, 2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: NRA ID Rating

(Adams County)

At my club, our class is roughly 14 hours over two days. We get in a little more shooting than is required, we also have lunch both days. All of my instructors are volunteers. We charge $45 and that pays for the materials and the club provides breakfast. For the Women Only course, the club also provides 22 pistols, ammo and some centerfire ammo. After the test, and technically not part of the class, we allow the women to shoot some of the larger guns that all the instructors bring.

The Basic course is a prerequisite for the Personal Protection NRA courses, so we often have a few experienced shooters taking it so they can take PPIH.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President