Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Raccoons and possums

I try to make it my local community meetings at the district hq every month, and this month I heard a lot of people complaining about raccoons and possums all over the place in West Philly and South Philly. Maybe I'm just not out that much after dark but I hadn't noticed them before...except when I was walking home from the station at about 7:30, and damned if there wasn't a raccoon walking up the chain link fence on the back of the house at the end of my block!

At the meeting, they were talking about all sorts of remedies: Bubblicious gum (they can't digest it and apparently that kills them?), mothballs, cayenne pepper, and even coyote urine (!). One thing that didn't come up in discussion was an air rifle and a garden shovel. L&I hasn't been any help to anyone I've talked to, and they went so far as to turn one guy in for illegal trapping when he tried catching them on his property! I don't think the PPD would appreciate a homeowner dispatching an infestation on or even in his property with an honest-to-goodness firearm, but what about an air rifle? I've taken out small pests with an air rifle before (not in PA), so I think a good shot should dispatch a raccoon or possum. Does Philly have any special ordinances regarding the discharge of non-firearm guns on one's own property?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Raccoons and possums

Raccoons and opossums fall under PA game regulations. Even though the people in question may not be "hunters" the game laws still apply. (game laws are State law and apply to everyone, not just hunters) That makes the air rifle idea a big no-no. They are not legal to hunt with in PA. Poisoning the critters would probably be considered animal cruelty.

Best bet may be contacting a pest/critter control company to address the situation.

(Philadelphia County)

Grr. I've been told by a few folks who have called that animal control wants $75 to give you a trap, then when it's trapped they want another $100 to come out and collect the critter. It's a racket.

Wonder how hard it would be to get another "city of the first class" exemption for pests...?

(Chester County)

I'd try calling a few different companies. A quick internet search found a few in the area. I don't have any experience with any of these places.

http://www.crittercontrol.com/reside...alremoval.html

http://www.seitzwildlife.com/

http://www.wildlife-removal.com/city...iladelphia.htm

You could try some raccoon repellent. I have no idea how effective or ineffective this stuff may be. LOL. http://www.havahart.com/store/animal-repellents/raccoon

Be careful, rabies cases seem to be on the rise. Raccoons are by far the #1 offenders in PA. There were 56 confirmed rabies cases in PA in August of 2011 alone. http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...vrUS309hA8D1Sg

I remember reading back in June or so, a beaver was attacking people somewhere near Philly. It tested positive for rabies.

(Philadelphia County)

I dunno. Seems like something's out of whack when I can legally kill a fellow human being in self-defense, but not a soulless critter to avoid being attacked and/or given a disease.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by tmountjr View Post
    I dunno. Seems like something's out of whack when I can legally kill a fellow human being in self-defense, but not a soulless critter to avoid being attacked and/or given a disease.
    Can you kill a person to avoid being attacked, or can you do it when you're in fear for your life or great bodily harm? Same thing applies, if the animal is showing signs of attack, or is attacking, you may dispatch it. But you cannot proactively go out there and start shooting them just because they're there.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

I was once told that air rifles are illegal in philadelphia noy sure if its true if its already posted forgive me I am on a cell phone at the moment

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Can you kill a person to avoid being attacked, or can you do it when you're in fear for your life or great bodily harm? Same thing applies, if the animal is showing signs of attack, or is attacking, you may dispatch it. But you cannot proactively go out there and start shooting them just because they're there.
    You're right, of course. Poor wording on my part. I should have said to avoid an imminent attack or cut short an attack in progress.

A critter trapping company would bring over a Have A Heart trap (made in Litiz, PA) and available at many retail outlets such as Gander Mountain and Cabelas and bait it with marshmallows. A raccoon would get in and not be able to get out. It would be illegal for them to drive it somewhere else and open the trap to release it. If they were to do this, it would be my guess that the coon would run out of the trap as fast as it could and climb the nearest tree. If the critter trapping company were to do something crazy like try to shoot the coon in the trap, they would find it hard to get a HIGH POWERED (1000 fps or faster) air rifle shooting specially designed hunting pellets into the cage as the holes are rather small. If they could, they would put said rifle against the coons head and press the trigger. They will more than likely hear a very disturbing scream from the coon as they are tough animals. They would probably then illegally put the coon in a black garbage bag while wearing rubber gloves and then into a trash can. You should call a critter trapping company because not only is it illegal to do any of that yourself, but you may find that raccoon carry rabies and other diseases that you wouldn't want.
    Jules

(Philadelphia County)

I just noticed this thread.
    Up until last week I'd never actually seen an opossum (city boy here). But as luck would have it there was one in my trashcan last week and he was NOT very nice about sharing the can with anyone.

I called the PSCPA and they came out and took him. They said they release the critters.
    No cost for this service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast