Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default PDs using .40 S&W

Every time I ask an officer what caliber he's carrying it's always .40 S&W, with a rare .45 ACP. Why is .40 everywhere while, .45 ACP seems to be less and less? Why choose .40 over .45? Is it expensive of ammunition, or the minor capacity difference? I personally if having to use my sidearm in actual firefights would want the heaviest projectile possible.

Default Re: PDs using .40 S&W

It's an upgrade from the 9MM that all LEO's can handle, it carries more rounds than a 1911, and it's not the "Killer" round that the .45 is. That said, Anyone can shoot the 1911 with a little of the proper training. I can get a .45 ACP that has 12 rounds. While the .45 ACP has killed, the best thing about it is it's knock down power. But, cities don't want to be in court every time some critter gets shot. Because the .40 S&W is used by the FBI, it's OK to use. So we have PD's using the .40 S&W.

(Allegheny County)

****DISCLAIMER****
    These are my opinions on why I bought my primary home defense firearm in .40 S&W and are not to be confused with stating that .40 S&W is superior than any other caliber.
    ****DISCLAIMER****

I'm going to assume we are talking about caliber for full size autos. So .380 and smaller and revolver cartridges are not considered here. To me this narrows it down to 9mm Luger, .357 SIG, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

I bought a .40 as my primary home defense caliber for the following reasons.

1. It's the second most modern caliber available and was designed for law enforcement that primarily use hollow points vs military 9mm and .45 ACP cartridges that use FMJ. Why use military uses FMJ is a history lesson that is not whiten the scope of this thread.

2. The .357 sig is newer but it's still to rare and ammunition costs are significantly higher.

3. The firearm that I purchased the S&W M&P 40 can be converted to 9mm with a conversion barrel and 9mm magazines. It can be converted to .357 Sig with a cheaper factory barrel and use the shared .40/.357 magazines. The 9mm version cannot be converted to .40 or .357 short of a total top end replacement.

Now an argument for 9mm.

I was recently in a defensive firearms class thought by a company that's other focus is executive protection. They use 9mm because from there research both 9mm and .40 S&W have a one shot incapacitation percentage around %60. The .45 a bit higher at %65. However all of these calibers have an incapacitation percentage around %95 with two shots. The instructor quipped "if someone is worth shooting once, they are worth shooting twice" this was followed by drills of controlled pairs and double taps. Modern firearms can usually hold more 9mm than .40 or .45 in a similar model.

Also of concern to these employees engaged in executive security is that they work internationally and 9mm is more widely available outside the US.
    Last edited by QuackXP; October 18th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.

(Lawrence County)

9mm will go faster, penetrate slightly deeper.
    .45 is slower, but has more kinetic energy and mass behind it.
    .40 is right in between the two so it's a compromise.

9mm, 10mm, or 11mm, it's all the same. A pistol is to get to a rifle, because a 5.56x45mm will out-shoot a 9,10, or 11 mm all day long! lol In comparison to power, all pistols come up short, and are all pretty much equal these days. Modern JHP technology and powders has put all of them on a relatively level playing field...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(York County)

Just remember, if all the cops are carrying .40's, that just means more compatible ammo lying around for the rest of us when the zombie apocalypse hits. get your .40 cal now before it's too late.

(Cumberland County)

In my opinion I think more PD's are moving to .40 S&W because it's the perfect "in the middle" round. Departments that have gone with 9mm for years are upping to .40 for the extra firepower while still maintaining nice mag capacity.

In my opinion .45 ACP is too much firepower for your local PD's. I don't know of any local PD's that use .45 ACP. What would they carry? a 1911? Or a Glock in .45ACP? Just doesn't seem appealing to PD's. Federal law enforcement doesn't even carry .45 ACP traditionally. They go for either .40 S&W or .357 SIG.

(Allegheny County)

Everyone using the word "power", just stop.

.40 is common because it meets the FBI's criteria for an effective handgun round. 9mm and .45ACP do as well. There is minimal difference between 9mm and .40S&W, fyi.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    9mm will go faster, penetrate slightly deeper.
    .45 is slower, but has more kinetic energy and mass behind it.
    .40 is right in between the two so it's a compromise.

9mm, 10mm, or 11mm, it's all the same. A pistol is to get to a rifle, because a 5.56x45mm will out-shoot a 9,10, or 11 mm all day long! lol In comparison to power, all pistols come up short, and are all pretty much equal these days. Modern JHP technology and powders has put all of them on a relatively level playing field...

-Chaz
    This post gets the "Best post you have ever made" award. FWIW, I think the .45ACP is a much easier round to shoot than the .40S&W. In that regard, I say PDs choose it over the .45 based solely on cost and capacity.
    Jules

Jules

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    This post gets the "Best post you have ever made" award. FWIW, I think the .45ACP is a much easier round to shoot than the .40S&W. In that regard, I say PDs choose it over the .45 based solely on cost and capacity.
    Jules

Jules
    There are some barrier penetration advantages to .40 but don't think for a minute that was considered. It is an appearance thing. 9mm seems too small, .45 seems too big (or other things), .40 is in the middle.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

I know Lebanon County uses Glocks chambered in .357 Sig

The SPS uses .45 GAP I think / or did when they dumped the Berretta 92

I think they base it in whatever the lowest bidder is when they get gun upgrades.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast