Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default antique-ish ithaca 12ga SxS

I have an old (1920's) ithaca shotgun. it's my great grandfathers that was handed down to my grandfather and now to my mother and then eventually me. the receiver, trigger guard, and fore end are all engraved. i talked to a local shop to see if they knew anyone that could appraise it. i really cant find anything online that looks like this gun. can anyone on here help me out with what model and how much its worth?

here are the links for the crappy pictures i took:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...%3Dithaca2.jpg

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...t%3Dithaca.jpg

(Berks County)

Default Re: antique-ish ithaca 12ga SxS

Based on what you've said so far, and that you couldn't identify the exact date of manufacture, this piece could either be a Flues or an NID. My guess, based on the engraving (flying duck) and the lack of checkering prominent on the stock is an NID, probably grade 2 or grade 3. Pics would seem to indicate fluid steel vs. Damascus or twist - another pointer leading towards NID.

Both the Flues and the NID are VERY nice guns, but the NID is a lot more capable of firing modern shells, and thus might be more appealing to modern hunters not interested in hanging them up on walls.

Serial number is going to be the determinant here. Anything with numbers lower than 400000 is going to be a Flues model, with NID serial numbers running from 425000 and up. The Flues was manufactured up until 1926. NID manufacture started in 1925 and continued until after the second world war.

Value can vary pretty substantially, depending on condition of the wood, the engraving and the bluing. Looks like a heck of a nice mid-range grade gun, so figure $1000-2500 or more for value.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO