Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: first semi-auto carry pistol

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Kahr PM9... or the cheaper alternative the CM9. My PM9 is my EDC and is HIGHLY concealable and comfortable to carry. My alternate is the G19 which is also an excellent gun and very concealable and comfortable to carry.

The thickness difference between the PM9 and the G19 makes carrying one over the other quite different. If you are carrying IWB then make sure you get pants and belt with enough room for comfort.
    Which is the thicker gun?
    Love your country - Fear your government

(Butler County)

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by hombre912 View Post
    Which is the thicker gun?
    G19

10 chars
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by hombre912 View Post
    I have always been a revolver guy but recently have been considering getting a compact 9mm semi-auto for my carry gun.
    I shot a friend's brand new Sig P250 yesterday and was disappointed. The trigger pull felt way to heavy and long, like a revolver in need of an action job. It is the only semi-auto that I have ever fired.
    I'm thinking that the Glock19 might be a better choice for me. I will appreciate any comments and recommendations on this, as well as suggestions for other pistols. I am set on the 9mm and the compact size.
    Thanks.
    I am a revolver person myself. 80% of the time , when I am carrying full size and not pocket carry I have 4" .44 Taurus, the other 20% I have a S&W 411 SA/DA auto. I like the SA/DA autos because they feel like a revolver trigger pull. I do not like the "safe action" or striker fired action nearly as well as a SA/DA action. It is a personal preference and I am sure there are those on here that can shoot the sweat off a gnats ass with a "safe action" style auto ...I cannot match the accuracy I have with my revolvers and SA/DA autos.
    My wife just got a S&W M&P .40 ....I don't like it ....nor will I shoot it more than I have to other than to become familiar with it. Give me my wheelgun.
    I have a .32 ACP Beretta Tomcat that I shoot better with than I do with her M&P.
    It is difficult to suggest a new auto the best advice I can give is to try out what you can but until you shoot it you will not know.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Butler County)

One thing to remember about trigger pull...

When the shit hits the fan and you have to shoot your "inner monkey" isn't going to care one little bit about a long or hard trigger pull and whether it was smooth or gritty feeling. However... if you don't TRAIN enough with your weapon... it MAY care (and forget) about a manual safety you have to disengage. At which point your trigger won't pull.

A SA or SA/DA carried cocked and locked REQUIRES (IMHO) a manual safety be engaged to safely carry. A DAO or striker fire does not.

My only real point is... If you are going to carry a single action weapon make sure you train on disengaging the safety.

Edit: Yes, you should train and practice with any weapon you intend to carry and not just an SA or DA/SA weapon.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Third generation S&W semiautos have the SA/DA trigger worked out to perfection. 5906 & 6906 models are plentiful in the marketplace, and should be on your list for consideration, as well. All-metal, and generally a good compromise between concealability and firepower. And, did I mention, they have nice triggers?

The ergos on the S&W Sigma series are good, but the "SD" series has as good, or better, plus true DA trigger. Besides which, they won't break the bank to buy one or two.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Berks County)

One thing to remember about trigger pull...

When the shit hits the fan and you have to shoot your "inner monkey" isn't going to care one little bit about a long or hard trigger pull and whether it was smooth or gritty feeling. However... if you don't TRAIN enough with your weapon... it MAY care (and forget) about a manual safety you have to disengage. At which point your trigger won't pull.

A SA or SA/DA carried cocked and locked REQUIRES (IMHO) a manual safety be engaged to safely carry. A DAO or striker fire does not.

My only real point is... If you are going to carry a single action weapon make sure you train on disengaging the safety.

Edit: Yes, you should train and practice with any weapon you intend to carry and not just an SA or DA/SA weapon.
    This is why my wife went with the M&P. No safety to struggle with. Same with revolvers IMHO ...no safety to worry about

When I carry my 411 the safety is on , there is a round in the pipe and it is in DA mode. ( disengage safety pull trigger )
    Last edited by Zeke2A; October 19th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Third generation S&W semiautos have the SA/DA trigger worked out to perfection. 5906 & 6906 models are plentiful in the marketplace, and should be on your list for consideration, as well. All-metal, and generally a good compromise between concealability and firepower. And, did I mention, they have nice triggers?

The ergos on the S&W Sigma series are good, but the "SD" series has as good, or better, plus true DA trigger. Besides which, they won't break the bank to buy one or two.

Flash
    I hate my Sigma .40 and would be quite willing to part with it to someone that will give it a good home.

(Berks County)

I hate my Sigma .40 and would be quite willing to part with it to someone that will give it a good home.
    Bought one of the very first Sigmas ( .40 cal) in the early 90's when they first came out ....HATED IT. Traded it in on the 411 that I still own and carry. Don't know if they improved them or not since then. I do like the way the M&P feels and it is a handy firearm , I just have a hell of a time getting used to that trigger.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Dauphin County)

Gotta throw my hat in the ring for the Ruger SR9c. Great trigger once you pop out the magazine disconnect (even with it it's not half bad, just don't dry fire it without a mag in if you don't remove the disconnect.)

My SR9c is a tac driver and I love how it feels in my hand and how it feels when I shoot it. I recommend fondling one at your local store and firing one if you can.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast