Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Need help getting a trap gun!!

Hi everyone. I am starting to get into trap shooting. My parents shoot at a club competitively and they want to take me along to shoot with them. I have shot a bunch of times and know how shootings work and how to clean them and blah blah blah. I would like to get a gun so I can get serious about it, but I'm a college student and money isn't exactly flowing like the mississippi. I looked in the classifieds at a Traditions ALS 2100. I have read some good reviews and some other reviews that say to avoid it like the plague. Does anyone have any experience with it? Its a semi auto with a 28" barrel which is unusual for trap, but I'm on a budget and it will work.

My parents are telling me that O/U is the way to go but I'm on a budget of $500 and under which isn't much to work with. Im open to semi-autos, but not pumps. Could someone set me on the right path?
    Last edited by elementfreak431; October 13th, 2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: misspelling

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need help getting a trap gun!!

I have used a side by side and I know that Jolar has a remington side by new for under $500 and they have a few used Semi autos and o/Us there cheap. Call and ask for Vince 724.339.4766 tell em the Banker sent ya. And they will ship to an FFL near you.
    I want a French Lebel Never shot only dropped once.

(Lehigh County)

After the Trap Gun For My Wife thread I'm steering clear of this one. I don't know anything about an ALS 2100 anyway. Good luck.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

I don't know much about shotguns or anything about the Traditions ALS 2100, but if you decide you want one, there was one bumped for sale in the classified section 2 hours ago. Nice coincidence.

Op just today I had a brand spanking new Stoger Condor O/U for sale. Never even put together. I am going away for a few days. The deal was not completed as the buyer is thinking about it. If the deal falls through Ill PM you.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    After the Trap Gun For My Wife thread I'm steering clear of this one. I don't know anything about an ALS 2100 anyway. Good luck.
    Me too!

It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

(Luzerne County)

Element: Hmmm.
    I'm on a budget of $500 and under which isn't much to work with. Im open to semi-autos, but not pumps. Could someone set me on the right path?
    Yes....but you will have to lose the not open to pumps idea. On your budget, a pump gun is the way to go. You are shooting single trap at this point. You are only loading one shell at a time in any case. Neither a semi nor an O/U offers you any advantage.
    What to do - buy a new or used Mossberg pump gun. Go to the website for Numrich Arms (egunparts) and buy a 30 inch full choked barrel - there is one there now - FC, vent rib, middle and front sight beads for $110. Your total will be less than $500 - money left for ammo and the gun will be perfectly appropriate for Trap singles.
    I put my first 5000 shells through such a gun. I know that it will work.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; October 14th, 2011 at 06:24 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Northampton County)

This

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    Element: Hmmm.

Yes....but you will have to lose the not open to pumps idea. On your budget, a pump gun is the way to go. You are shooting single trap at this point. You are only loading one shell at a time in any case. Neither a semi nor an O/U offers you any advantage.
    What to do - buy a new or used Mossberg pump gun. Go to the website for Numrich Arms (egunparts) and buy a 30 inch full choked barrel - there is one there now - FC, vent rib, middle and front sight beads for $110. Your total will be less than $500 - money left for ammo and the gun will be perfectly appropriate for Trap singles.
    I put my first 5000 shells through such a gun. I know that it will work.
    Pete

One of the guys I shoot with tell all the newbies the same thing. "If you want to learn how to shoot trap, get $1000 together. Buy a $300 used pump gun and $800 worth of shells. Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more."

And I add: "Then start saving your money for a real trap gun and more ammo".
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Luzerne County)

"Then start saving your money for a real trap gun and more ammo"
    Yep. That is exactly what I did.
    The next gun was a BT-99 and a MEC Grabber press. The Kreighoff will have to wait a while.

Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Chester County)

Wow thanks for all the responses everyone. When I realized that yes I'm only doing single shot, I kinda went DUH! so yes I will take everyone's advice and get a pump. I'm a big guy 6'2 and 200 pounds. What would be a decent pump for me to get?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast