Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Passing through MD, need law clarification

For MD, keep mags LOADED!
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread...aded+magazines
    In this message there is a PDF from the AG re: travel & one for loaded mags. Print it and keep it with the gun.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by radnor View Post
    For MD, keep mags LOADED!
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread...aded+magazines
    In this message there is a PDF from the AG re: travel & one for loaded mags. Print it and keep it with the gun.
    Those links on the MD site require a login. Could you post the dates and sequence number of the AG's opinions? I'll look them up and post direct public links for those interested.
    IANAL

(Lycoming County)

My wife asked this to the sheriff's department when we picked up our LTCF RIGHT AFTER OBAMA WAS ELECTED and the employee stated just keep moving, keep it quiet, keep it in the trunk, keep it unloaded, and keep the ammunition seperate from the firearm.

I think Florida honors Pa. LTCF and she asked how do we get it from here to there.

That was their answer.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Hope this works, uploading them here...
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Lycoming County)

Good job Radnor!

I tried out the second of the two and it appears that is solely for residents of Maryland.

However, it cites 18 USC 926A.

Upon looking it up this states it is legal to have your firearm in your car when traveling through any state.

Here is the law written out:http://www.cjrpc.com/interstate_2.htm.

"Such persons may transport firearms from any place where they can lawfully possess and carry such firearms to any other place where they can lawfully possess and carry such firearms."
    "For example a Florida gun owner may lawfully drive through Massachusetts to his ultimate destination in Vermont, provided he or she complies with the requirements of the federal "Safe Passage" act."

So the Safe Passage act states: "To obtain the protection of the federal "Safe Passage" act, the firearm must be unloaded and neither the firearm nor any ammunition may be readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle."

Now, who holds trump when both of those laws in essence are in effect?

"The federal law you cite (18 USC 926A) applies to the interstate transportation of a firearm (handgun or long arm) and supersedes Maryland law." (Mark H. Bowen Assistant Attorney General)

So the Assistant AG of Maryland himself states 18 USC 926A (and abiding by the Safe Passage Act) supersedes Maryland law.

I have wondered about this myself and did not know until Radnor posted his reply - thanks!

I hope this helps!

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Packin Preacher View Post
    My wife asked this to the sheriff's department when we picked up our LTCF RIGHT AFTER OBAMA WAS ELECTED and the employee stated just keep moving, keep it quiet, keep it in the trunk, keep it unloaded, and keep the ammunition seperate from the firearm.

I think Florida honors Pa. LTCF and she asked how do we get it from here to there.

That was their answer.

God bless!!

PPP
    I travel through MD on my way to the free South on numerous occasions. Unload it, stow it where you can't get to it, and the OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT. Blend in. Don't give anyone a reason to stop you. "I am not the droid you are looking for." There is a rest stop just across the frontier into West Virginia where you can pull in, reload and reholster.

With a PA LTCF, you are good in WV, VA, NC, GA, KY, TN, and FL. Check www.handgunlaw.us for pertinent laws in each state you will be in. Some of them have some pretty weird requirements that could land you in trouble if you are not aware of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12