Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: YUGO M76 TESTS

(Schuylkill County)

Default YUGO M76 TESTS

Does anyone own or know someone with a M76, US built new barrel, that can tell me if they are worth the money and how they shoot, possible new purchase...

(Northampton County)

Default Re: YUGO M76 TESTS

I recently picked up one of the Century Arms M76 builds from SOG Int'l for $1695 (yes they still have them). Is it worth the price? To me, it's a nostalgia thing. I purchased an original M76 from Mitchell Arms back in 1988 for $1995 but sold it (considering 20 yrs of inflation alone, that would probably be $4k today). By that reasoning, you might consider it a bargain. Granted it's not a collectible original, but I want something to shoot.
    Is it reliable ? First, I was suprised that this receiver does not say Ohio Rapidfire anywhere on it. Maybe it's a new improved version ? It is stamped CAI M76 Sporter on the bottom of the receiver in front of the mag. I took it out to the range after laser bore sighting it at home and was on paper first shot at 25 yds. I re-adjusted the elevation and windage and the 2nd shot was within a few inches of the bullseye at 100 yds. (No I'm not super human, I just happen to do this type of sighting in a lot). So I got serious about holding tight and steady and produced the following 3 shot groups:
    0.875 inch
    for a straight average of 1.22 inch or about 1.2 MOA. Being I'm an average shot with aging eyes and considering the 4-power scope, I'm sure many of you could have done better. There were no malfunctions of any kind and the rifle spit the empties at 5 o'clock to my right and behind me (8 ft) into a neat pile. The rifle's gas setting was at the "2" position and I saw no need to change it.
    Is it accurate ? For a used, older generation semi-auto rifle firing a full battle sized 8x57 round with a typical creepy AK trigger pull, I'd say YES ! It's as accurate as the original M76 I owned years ago. It's as accurate as any SVD or PSL I have ever owned. And my NorinCo M14s (Fulton Arms upgraded & accurized) does about the same.
    But this accuracy comes at a price. Don't expect these results with run of the mill surplus ammo. All the examples I gave above used match grade ammo and the M76 is no different. The Yugo M75 "sniper" ammo on sale for the past year costs more but in a rifle like the M76 it does make a difference. Plus this ammo was tailored for use in a rifle like the M76. It uses a heavy bullet (196-198grains) and has a muzzle velocity around 2350-2400 ft/sec. This is milder than some 8mm military loads. In fact, given this milder velocity, the weight of the M76, the rubber recoil pad and longer dwell time of the semi-automatic action, the rifle is a pleasure to shoot. Nothing like a bolt action Mauser. Recoil is so tame, I almost thought I was shooting an AR15 carbine. Well..., almost.
    I decided to check the repeatability of the scope settings. With the rifle hitting dead-on at 100yds and the elevation drum set at 100, I then clicked the drum to 200 and the resulting group was about 3 inches high (@ 100yds). I then clicked the drum to 200 and the group was about 6 inches high (again @ 100yds). Using a ballistics calculator (available at most online reloading sites) I entered the bullet weight and muzzle velocity and let it calculate the 100 yd impact point for various sighted in ranges (100, 200, 300 yds). The results were very much in agreement with my target results (within .5 inch). I hoped for such agreement since the ON-M76B scope is supposed to be calibrated with the 8x57's ballistics, in this case the M75 variety.
    So, maybe I just got lucky. Perhaps your results will vary. As for long term reliability, I plan on buying more M75 ammo while it's still available at .35 cents per round (cheaper than high quality 5.56) and shooting it till it breaks. May that be many 900 rd cases from now.