Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ruger 10/22 Big Disappointment

I read so much about how wonderful these 22lrs are. Well i bought a stainless version/synthetic stock version. On the plus side - it shoots pretty accurate and i do like its weight and size for my small stature!

The negative side - I am feeling disillusioned big time. We are getting failure to ejects. Tried a different magazine. Same. Tried 4 different types of ammo - Winchester Super X high velocity, another High velocity, Federal bulk 550s and another type of Federals. No difference which i thought might be the problem.

In around 100 we are getting 4-6. I read so many owners guns run flawlessly. I don't want to have to spend $$ on CCI in case that works - i was expecting/hoping for a gun to run Bulk packs through which my Mark III seems to be ok with.

We cleaned it up and stripped it after the first day out . It is no different.

I am not a knowledgeable gun person and this is really disappointing.

I am now feeling like I should have bought a bolt action 22LR for messing with at the range. Our very old Savage works great but only has 1 non replaceable 5 round mag so we thought we were upgrading !

Any suggestions - or should i just send it back to Ruger?
    Last edited by Just1more; October 5th, 2011 at 07:44 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 Big Disappointment

ok, we can chalk this up to any one or more problems. new gun = reasonable break in period. use quality ammo such as cci. check your lubrication on the slide. keep in mind you probably have a match chamber so it will be tighter than older .22 guns. bulk or cheaper ammo may not work well with this type of chamber. i know you tried 4 different types but there are dozens of different ones out there, keep looking. since your having fte problems check your extractor, does the spring keep tension on it, how does the shape look at the end? i hope some of this helps, i am sure you will get some more ideas from others. don,t give up yet they are a great rifle. red dog

(Allegheny County)

Thanks but i dont know what a match chamber is - this is the basic carbine just in stainless. I will have my hubby check the things mentioned. I will try it again tomorrow with more lubrication (maybe almost wet?) at the slide.

(Dauphin County)

That's strange. I bought my sister a 10/22 for Christmas and I probably take it out shooting more than her! I love mine and so far have had no problems. If you can't figure out what is wrong with it try taking it back to your dealer and having them send it back to ruger to have the problem addressed.

Hope all works out well for you!

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Ruger 10/22 Big Disappointment

just noticed another thing on your op. when you bought the rifle did you clean it before shooting it? new guns need to be thoroughly cleaned before using. keep in mind they are heavily coated with oils and greases to protect the metal while being stored until sold. could be your chamber was coated with a heavy dose of protection. you probable do not have a match chamber, they are usually found on the heavy barreled guns. take it out and try again now that it has been cleaned it very well may work better.

(Allegheny County)

FTE on a 10-22, almost unheard of.

Was the barrel (and the breach) clean before you shot it? Some rifles come new with gunk used as a anti-rust coating (like an oil). Gunk in the breach can stick to the empty shell on extraction. Also check and clean the recoil spring and recoil spring guide in the reciever attached to the bolt.

Anything new can have metal burs that can slow down the action. But I have never heard of any on a 10-22. I would look at the gunk theory above.

Is the bolt stiff when you pull back on the bolt handle? See gunk theory....

I have never run CCI in any 10-22. I run Remington gold tip (not the lead colored tip) and Federal bulk 550's with out problem.

What exactly FTE? Did the case move at all after fireing? Did the case not clear the chamber? Did the case stovepile in the reciever?????

Clean it well, oil it nicely and give it about 500 rounds to break in. Also keep in mind, it's a .22. They can be picky about ammo and have a tendency to be a little cranky in semi-auto models. Not all of them all the time, but my own experiences have been .22 autos have more issues than other semi-auto calibers.

BTW, the 10/22 is considered, by Field&Stream, to be one of the top 10 firearms of all time. Give yours time to wear itself to perfection.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

MUSH got the question going in the right direction.

"What exactly FTE? Did the case move at all after fireing? Did the case not clear the chamber? Did the case stovepile in the reciever?????"

Describe the "FTE". Did the extractor claw slip off the rim? Did it extract, but fail to fully eject the empty? Did it stovepipe or jam the mouth of the empty back into the chamber?? Or . . . . . ???

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I read so much about how wonderful these 22lrs are. Well i bought a stainless version/synthetic stock version. On the plus side - it shoots pretty accurate and i do like its weight and size for my small stature!

The negative side - I am feeling disillusioned big time. We are getting failure to ejects. Tried a different magazine. Same. Tried 4 different types of ammo - Winchester Super X high velocity, another High velocity, Federal bulk 550s and another type of Federals. No difference which i thought might be the problem.

In around 100 we are getting 4-6. I read so many owners guns run flawlessly. I don't want to have to spend $$ on CCI in case that works - i was expecting/hoping for a gun to run Bulk packs through which my Mark III seems to be ok with.

We cleaned it up and stripped it after the first day out . It is no different.

I am not a knowledgeable gun person and this is really disappointing.

I am now feeling like I should have bought a bolt action 22LR for messing with at the range. Our very old Savage works great but only has 1 non replaceable 5 round mag so we thought we were upgrading !

Any suggestions - or should i just send it back to Ruger?
    Last edited by ruggerio; October 6th, 2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: useless
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Northampton County)

I had a few FTE's.. I hadn't put more than 200 rounds through it, cleaned it from stem to stern before firing it, went ahead and bought the Exact Edge Extractor...problem solved. Problem was shell wouldn't fully eject, no other issues.

Only issue I seem to have now if FTF using one of those Butler Creek 25rd mags with the plastic lips. Had I been smart enough to read up on them, I'd have bought the metal lipped ones instead. Also started with Rem .22lr shells...have switched to CCI since.

Got 2 Ruger 25rd mags...no more issues. Love my 10/22!
    Feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...ayathomed.html

...infinite distraction...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast