Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Question Sig P290 vs P238

My apologies if this has been addressed previously, but now that the P290 has been released for awhile - what are your thoughts and would you have a 290 vs the 238? Thank you! Barb

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Sig P290 vs P238

Quote Originally Posted by RYB44 View Post
    My apologies if this has been addressed previously, but now that the P290 has been released for awhile - what are your thoughts and would you have a 290 vs the 238? Thank you! Barb
    Hmmm...They are enough different that you'd almost have to have them side by side to figure it out. They are the same shape and cast the same "shadow", but the P290 is a bit chunky-er. I've shot the P238 some and like it a lot. It is very slim and disappears in a pocket. I don't know if the P290 would carry as nicely; it is a few ounces heavier.

I like the fact that the P238 is a locked-breech design, making the slide a breeze to rack. It is SAO, so carrying it cocked and locked may be a choice you'll have to make.

Then there's the whole 9mm vs. .380 thing. Oy!

For me, the P238 is on my buy list, but I'd take a look at the P290 given the chance.

--Phil

(Lancaster County)

I have a p238 and I am huge fan with no regrets. I bought it over the other pocket guns because of the metal frame (not a fan of polymer frames), but the best part is the ability to carry it everyday with ease. All I do is slip in in my pocket and looks like a wallet (mine has the sig laser and I carry it in a 10 dollar pocket holster). I feel more comfortable carrying cocked and locked than dao with no safety, but thats just my preference.

(Beaver County)

I have a 238 SAS and like it. I've shot just over 100 rounds with it and happy with the way it preforms. I have not shot the 290 or even handled one. That being said I've owned 3 plastic/polymer guns and I'm so over it. The main reason I bout the 238 over others that it is a full metal gun. It hides nice in my front pocket with a good holster and is fairly light. I think that placement of were you are goin to carry and fit to your hand will make your final decision. I needed a deep concealment gun and the 238 is just right for that.

BTW I do not like the factory 7 round mag for the 238. Tried one out at Ace sporting goods in Washington and for me it ruined the gun. I would have hated to spend the 43 bucks plus shipping for the mag and then find out I didn't like it. I actually couldn't believe they had one in stock. Most places don't have em yet and alot of places online they are on back order.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lancaster County)

Also in terms of reliabillity I have pretty close to 1000 flawless rounds through the p238.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you for your responses - I have a 238 but didn't know if the 290 would have any advantages consolidating to one size ammo (for cost purposes), but if the bulk negates that for carry....I'll just have to check out the 290 and see!