Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Which is more important to you?

Which do you value more or consider more when looking at buying a new gun; function or form?

I'm going back and forth between a Glock 19 and another Remington 870. The G19 would be my 'function' gun. I can buy tons of magazines for not a lot of money because the gun is so popular but can't really make any drastic changes to the gun itself. I wouldn't say that Glocks are jaw-dropping but they're not ugly either. The 870 is the 'form' gun because I can do ANYTHING I want to it. Needless to say, I LOVE customizing my guns. I've already made some rather drastic changes to my other 870 but this one would be more 'normal' I guess you could say.

Just to clarify, I don't NEED either of them per se and I don't care that the Glock is more expensive than the 870. I just want to buy a new gun because I haven't got a new one since I built my M4 in April. Thoughts?

Default Re: Which is more important to you?

For me, function always takes the lead. I want it to perform properly at all times. In your case, with the 870 you get both. No matter what you do to an 870 it's working parts always function the same. Perfectly.

I do however disagree that the 19 doesn't have form. I love the looks of the Glock.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Adams County)

Fit, function, form. In that order.

Doesn't matter how well the gun functions or how pretty it looks, if it doesn't feel comfortable in my hands I will not perform well with it, and I will not be anxious to try to improve.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Northampton County)

If you have that kind of disposable income get something that's different than everybody else!

try something new!
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"

(Centre County)

Take a page from Andrew Lloyd Wright: Form IS Function. Yes, make your gun beautiful, but make sure it has a purpose. There's nothing uglier in my eyes than a car with a four-foot spoiler or a gun with gimmicky addons.

That said, there's a bunch of wonderfully modded 870's and Moss500's floating around here. The one where the guy spray-painted the 068 on the stock comes to mind.
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

(Montgomery County)

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice really. They both offer superb function, and are both cheap to shoot. You can do more to dress up a 870; I personally like the Mesa Tactical products, really slick setups.

If you really just want to buy a gun for the hell of it, you mind as well flip a coin. If you want the gun for a specific purpose of use, decide which one fulfills that purpose the most, and go with that gun.

(Butler County)

If you want to mess around get a 10/22. You could go wild with all the add on stuff for them. The only thing left original is the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by legendarylorot View Post
    Take a page from Andrew Lloyd Wright: Form IS Function. Yes, make your gun beautiful, but make sure it has a purpose. There's nothing uglier in my eyes than a car with a four-foot spoiler or a gun with gimmicky addons.

That said, there's a bunch of wonderfully modded 870's and Moss500's floating around here. The one where the guy spray-painted the 068 on the stock comes to mind.
    You somehow managed to mash the names of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Frank Lloyd Wright into one name, but I'm assuming you meant FLW, the architect, not ALW the composer.

Anyway, I have to agree with camper about the order being fit, function, form. It's important to me that a gun functions properly, and that it has a nice look to it, but more importantly it needs to fit into my needs (and into my hands). Of the various uses for guns, which currently are you lacking. I would assume you have a carry gun, and the 870 is possibly you home defense gun, but what about a plinker? What about a tacticool rifle (since you like accessorizing)? If you have some spare money to spend, definitely get something you don't already have one of.

(Centre County)

When I choose my guns, I go for function.
    When I choose my eggs, I go for form.

(Allegheny County)

Function.

If I cared at all about looks, I wouldn't have a Glock ready to defend my home and my life.

If I ever wanted to make my Glock look better though, I guess I could always brush it with glue and roll it in dog poo.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast