Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default PA third in deer collisions ...

Study: West Virginia nationwide leader in deer collisions; Pa. is third

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. -- While the rate of deer collisions nationwide is on the decline, drivers in West Virginia and Pennsylvania still need to keep an eye out for the road-crossing animals, according to study results released Monday.

Nearly two percent of West Virginia drivers collided with a deer in the past year, a level that is almost four times the national average, according to a study released by State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co.

Data collected by the insurance company show the chances of a West Virginia driver striking a deer are 1 in 53, the highest odds in the US. That is nearly 50 percent higher than the second-highest state, Iowa, where the odds were 1 in 77. South Dakota (1 in 81) and Pennsylvania (1 in 86) ranked third and fourth.

Pennsylvania, more populated than the states ahead of it in the per-capita rankings, led with the highest number of deer collisions. State Farm estimated a total of 101,299 deer-vs.-car incidents in Pennsylvania in the second half of 2010 and the first half of 2011, the time period examined in the most recent iteration of State Farm's annual study. No other state reached six digits.

State Farm released its annual analysis of deer-vehicle collisions in advance of the most dangerous part of the year for such accidents. November is the heart of the deer migration and mating season.

Such collisions cost $3,171 on average in the 12 months included in the study, State Farm said.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...494&mg=com-wsj

HOME
    looks like that aggressive deer removal is working for somone
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: PA third in deer collisions ...

We used to joke in my family about my father getting more deer with a car than with his gun.
    MikeP

(Lancaster County)

It's all the fault of that Mayhem dude.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Here is some food for thought.

It is estimated that 2.25% of all accidents in the U.S. involve intoxicated drivers.(source)

For West Virginia, 1 in 53 equates to 1.89%
    For PA, 1 in 86 equates to 1.16%

So dear almost cause enough accidents to justify shredding the constitution.
    I'll vote for Romney when he promises not to run in 2016.

(Allegheny County)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11286/1181699-192.stm

Nimble deer: Have the animals learned how to cross the road?

We've got to give credit where credit is due.

There was a 7 percent reduction in the number of deer-vehicle collisions in the year ending June 30, the third consecutive year of decline. An executive for State Farm Insurance, which released its national report on the prevalence of deer getting up in our grills, said the company doesn't know what caused the drop, but she said she hopes the firm's annual report has helped by raising awareness.

That can't be the answer in Western Pennsylvania, where even city dwellers have regular encounters with the state's official animal, the whitetail variety. In Pennsylvania, the chances of having a run-in with a deer in the next 12 months are 1 in 86. That's the fourth-highest rate in the nation, and the state still leads in the total number of incidents, with 101,299 in the past year.

No, we like the explanation offered by local State Farm spokesman Doug Griffith, who told reporter Jon Schmitz that it's the deer who seem to be getting smarter, paying closer attention to their surroundings.

Drivers should reciprocate. Watch for deer crossing signs, remember the animals are most active between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., use high beams when feasible and, remember, deer rarely travel alone.

A crazy thought: Maybe the number of PA deer collisions are going doing due to a decade long Deer Mismanagement scam by PGC to reduce the deer herd in PA.

We've got to give credit where credit is due.
    Less deer in large parts of PA should = less deer collisions, shouldn't?

Which translates to reduction at payout at the claims window for Insurance companies. (not that anyone will really see a reductions in their auto premiums)

Who cares IF there are less deer for people to hunt on large parts of public property in rural PA, the small towns and rural area that used to count on the money from hunters coming to hunt deer is no longer there, as why go to camp to hunt for the few remain deer left there.
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Wayne County)

The problem is all the deer are in the urban areas where you can't hunt them. Bucks county is infested with deer and liberals who post every inch of land that used to be available to hunt. So now you have to worry about hitting a deer everytime you get in your car.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDC View Post
    The problem is all the deer are in the urban areas where you can't hunt them. Bucks county is infested with deer and liberals who post every inch of land that used to be available to hunt. So now you have to worry about hitting a deer everytime you get in your car.
    Uh, it ain't just liberals (I'm sure conservatives own land too). I can tell you my dad (who is in Montgomery) who is a big liberal and myself would love to see big hunts of deers.

I've had deer hits (in Radnor) and it's not fun. I swear going from Newtown to Hamilton in the morning my wife and I always tend to see fresh roadkill. Hell one stretch had 3-5 in one week time span on a small road.

Heck we see a huge swarm of deer (live) coming back on Newtown Bypass everyday.

The problem is how do you effectively hunt near urban areas? I don't mean that in a smartass way, but you do need to ensure safety. Honestly it need to be done just because the overpopulation is just going to (if not already) starvation and malnutrition, along with disease vulnerability in PA's Deer Population. It's crueler to do nothing than to do something.

Plus with the Sharedeer donation program we can help feed hungry PA families and give back to our fellow Pennsylvanians.

http://sharedeer.org/

Some facts from Sharedeer
    In Pennsylvania:
    1,135,000 people (approximately 1 out of every 11) live at risk of hunger
    An estimated 450,000 people per month meet a part of their food needs through a food pantry/cupboard or soup kitchen
    Venison is a 100% natural, low fat, high protein food source that is eagerly sought out by food distribution organizations given the low protein content of most distributed foods
    Last year HSH coordinated the delivery of nearly 200,000 meals of venison to hungry Pennsylvanians

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    A crazy thought: Maybe the number of PA deer collisions are going doing due to a decade long Deer Mismanagement scam by PGC to reduce the deer herd in PA.

Less deer in large parts of PA should = less deer collisions, shouldn't?
    That or people don't want to report it. I know when I hit one there was light damage and we just had a friend fix it.

That can't be the answer in Western Pennsylvania, where even city dwellers have regular encounters with the state's official animal, the whitetail variety. In Pennsylvania, the chances of having a run-in with a deer in the next 12 months are 1 in 86. That's the fourth-highest rate in the nation, and the state still leads in the total number of incidents, with 101,299 in the past year.
    It's very bad in Eastern PA too. I know that's from the article and not the poster.
    Last edited by gfanikf; October 13th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDC View Post
    sorry that you're upset that you can't just wander on to any private property you feel like and start shooting deer

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Deuce View Post
    sorry that you're upset that you can't just wander on to any private property you feel like and start shooting deer
    Who said anything about wondering on private land? Sounds like he doesn't wonder on private land, because he is upset that the land he wants to hunt is posted, if he didn't care about the posted signs and just wondered he wouldn't be be upset. Sounds like someone might be a liberal that post's his land on every inch. Being from Latrobe you have no idea what Bucks County is all about, you are aloud to bitch about things you don't like if you don't like it get out of the hunting thread.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Monroe County)

My coworker managed to hit not one but FOUR deer in one shot last month. Is that a new record?
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast