Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default FFL in Pittsburgh

Hello,

I am new to firearms and I'm trying to do things the right way...took a class, first time I shot was with an NRA instructor...I see great prices on guns at online sites and understand that an order from such a place has to go to an FFL who does the background check and the transfer. The main site I have been looking at does list preferred FFL's...some of them are individuals and some are stores.

Last thing I want to do is be a nuisance to someone...I don't know if FFL's are happy to take delivery/do the transfer, or if they look at it in the same way a tire dealer does if you order tires online and take them to a tire dealer to get them installed (they don't want to be bothered because you bought something they sell online to save money...tried it once and they seemed offended I didn't buy the tires at their shop.) Can anybody point me to an FFL in the Pittsburgh area that will be happy to take delivery/do the transfer?

I apologize if this violated written or unwritten rules of the board...I did read the written rules and saw nothing that would've made me think that a post like this was against them. I've got no family or friends that own or are interested in guns, so I kinda don't have anyone to talk simple things through with...so I read and search, but I haven't been able to find anything that answers the question I have above.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: FFL in Pittsburgh

In my area there are several FFL's that take pride in their work and actually take delivery from other FFL's and transfer the firearms. My FFL (A&S indoor pistol range in Youngwood) charges a flat rate fee for such transfers, but I am not sure how much it is at this moment.
    I do know that if you buy a gun in their store the transfer is around $7-$10 and last time I had a gun shipped and transferred by them I paid around $27.

Most FFL's that I know off don't have a problem with a transfer because it will be money in their pocket. I would call around, contact some local FFL's and ask them how much they charge and if they would do such a transfer.
    If they smart mouth you then I would never do business there again and tell them that too.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Allegheny County)

http://www.firearmtransfers.net/
    http://gunrunnersofpa.com

Both are $20 per gun and they specialize is internet orders.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by offshorebear View Post
    http://www.firearmtransfers.net/
    http://gunrunnersofpa.com

Both are $20 per gun and they specialize is internet orders.
    ^^^^^This. I always use John at Firearms Transfers. He is a great guy who primarily does transfers so you're not bothering him at all (he doesn't have a retail store).

BTW, check out the Cranberry meet & greet thread in this section. Good way to meet lots of local gun nuts!

(Allegheny County)

I really appreciate those two posts.

A&S is where I took the lesson and shot the first time...Bill was great over the phone and Todd did a real nice job teaching me how to handle a gun and shoot it - he took his time, was very clear, and I'm going to be sending my fiance to him for the same instruction.

As for those two links, I'll be very comfortable using either of them because this is the core of what they do...and both of them already have their FFL on file with the site I was looking at buying from, so this is really great.

Thanks again.