Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Goin' to Texas

(Lancaster County)

Default Goin' to Texas

I am flying out of Philly tomorrow for a business trip to Houston TX.
    I have carried a firearm in checked luggage on a plane before, but never a handgun, and never out of Philly.
    What do I need to know about shipping a handgun in my checked luggage when going out of Philly that I wll not find on the TSA or Continental Airlines websites?

I plan to carry this pistol in TX.
    I have a PA LTCF. so I know I am legal to carry in TX too.
    Are there any quirks to TX carry laws I need to watch out for?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Goin' to Texas

Check out these two threads. Lots of good info, especially my posts.

One thing that you should be concerned about is that Continental's policy used to be that the entire suitcase that the gun is in had to be a hard-sided suitcase, not just the pistol case that the gun is in. They merged with United and United's policy was that only the pistol case had to be hard-sided and the suitcase could be the soft-sided cloth/ nylon that the majority of travelers own.
    I don't know who's policy survived the merger and is in effect today. In fact, in most respects the two airlines are still operating separately and are just owned by one company. Continental's management was in charge of the merger, so I'm afraid that their policy is the one that survived/ will survive when the merger is finally complete and the airlines become fully integrated.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-airlines.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-question.html

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    Check out these two threads. Lots of good info, especially my posts.

One thing that you should be concerned about is that Continental's policy used to be that the entire suitcase that the gun is in had to be a hard-sided suitcase, not just the pistol case that the gun is in. They merged with United and United's policy was that only the pistol case had to be hard-sided and the suitcase could be the soft-sided cloth/ nylon that the majority of travelers own.
    I don't know who's policy survived the merger and is in effect today. In fact, in most respects the two airlines are still operating separately and are just owned by one company. Continental's management was in charge of the merger, so I'm afraid that their policy is the one that survived/ will survive when the merger is finally complete and the airlines become fully integrated.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-airlines.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-question.html
    I knew my bag was not going to be an issue.
    My luggage are Pelican cases, so the pistol will be a hard case inside a locked Pelican.
    I will peruse those other threads.
    Thanks

I was worried about my ammo though, because they seem to think you will be shipping ammo in factory cardboard packaging.
    My plan was to keep my ammo in a plastic ammo case sized for the ammo I am taking.
    Is this going to be an issue?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    I knew my bag was not going to be an issue.
    My luggage are Pelican cases, so the pistol will be a hard case inside a locked Pelican.
    I will peruse those other threads.
    Thanks

I was worried about my ammo though, because they seem to think you will be shipping ammo in factory cardboard packaging.
    My plan was to keep my ammo in a plastic ammo case sized for the ammo I am taking.
    Is this going to be an issue?
    The plastic ammo case shouldn't be an issue. The main thing is that the ammo isn't loose, that why they reference factory cardboard packaging. You'd be surprised how many people show up with big zip-lock bags of ammo that sometimes open and end up dumping loose bullets all through your bag. Then if something happens to your bag and it opens, then they have loose ammo all over the place.

ETA: is your plastic ammo case something like this? if so, I think you'll be fine.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ber=1564198488
    Last edited by PHLJJS; September 30th, 2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: add link

(Bucks County)

From Traveling with Special Items: Firearms & Ammunition

• Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

• Travelers may not use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

• Ammunition may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows packing guidelines described above.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition
    This was the relevent statement that I missed before when I read the TSA guidelines.
    Thanks, I am not sure how I missed that the first time. LOL

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    This was the relevent statement that I missed before when I read the TSA guidelines.
    Thanks, I am not sure how I missed that the first time. LOL
    Glad I can help. This is actually good to know. Made me have to look something up and now I'm smarter for it. I know that I can travel with my gun and the ammo in the same case. I can have the ammo in the mags as long as they are covered.

Now I just need to travel more.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)