Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Deletion/Movement/Closed Notifications

We all know that every now and then a thread gets deleted or moved around the forum by a moderator. The issue is often that no one knows why or where things were moved and it results in re-posting of topics and questions all around about where that thread went.

I don't know anything about what forum features are available that aren't being used, but if it is possible for an automatic notification to be sent out to posters in a thread that gets deleted/closed/moved then that is a feature I would love to see being used.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Deletion/Movement/Closed Notifications

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    I don't know anything about what forum features are available that aren't being used, but if it is possible for an automatic notification to be sent out to posters in a thread that gets deleted/closed/moved then that is a feature I would love to see being used.
    Not sure but I think the forums software would not be able to do this and most likely will it take up a tremendous amount of work for moderators and administrators to accomplish a request like that. Do not forget that they are all volunteers.

If I post in a thread and it get's deleted (which hardly happens), moved or closed I have the title thread in the back of my head and maybe the search function on the forums is not all that great but it will search for partial thread titles.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by D10 View Post
    Not sure but I think the forums software would not be able to do this and most likely will it take up a tremendous amount of work for moderators and administrators to accomplish a request like that. Do not forget that they are all volunteers.

If I post in a thread and it get's deleted (which hardly happens), moved or closed I have the title thread in the back of my head and maybe the search function on the forums is not all that great but it will search for partial thread titles.
    Well of course; if it is something that can be done automatically it would be great. I'm not looking to ask the moderators and administrators to notify each poster in a thread manually, that would get absurd.

(Westmoreland County)

Well of course; if it is something that can be done automatically it would be great. I'm not looking to ask the moderators and administrators to notify each poster in a thread manually, that would get absurd.
    I know you were well aware of that. A thought comes to mind though.......if you start or reply in a thread you subscribe to that post. By looking up the post in your User CP and clicking that thread........it would automatically guide you to the moved post..........I think.

(Montgomery County)

We all know that every now and then a thread gets deleted or moved around the forum by a moderator. The issue is often that no one knows why or where things were moved and it results in re-posting of topics and questions all around about where that thread went.

there is not a forum software notification feature for this, and the mods do not have the time, nor inclination to send out PMs for every thread moved/closed/deleted.

we CAN leave a "redirect" link in the forum where it used to be if moved, but often, we dont due to time constraints

if the thread is deleted because of a duplicate, its often after the thread was closed due to duplicate

as before, we ask that folks please post in the proper sections, and follow the posting guidelines for the various forums, and use the SEARCH to see if something was posted already.

a big offender is the POLITICS POSTS... people cried for a Politics discussion section, and then one was made, and lazy folks dont bother to use it...

remember, non firearm politics goes in the POLITICAL WASTELAND... post anywhere else and it gets deleted.... with no notification.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

I know you were well aware of that. A thought comes to mind though.......if you start or reply in a thread you subscribe to that post. By looking up the post in your User CP and clicking that thread........it would automatically guide you to the moved post..........I think.
    you are correct.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

there's probably a simple plugin that Dan could upload and activate that'll do basically everything ironsight mentioned on its own. unfortunately Dan doesn't like adding plugins to the site to accomplish stuff like sending emails and/or a private message when a thread is moved.
    Last edited by andrewjs18; October 1st, 2011 at 02:33 AM.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    there's probably a simple plugin that Dan could upload and activate that'll do basically everything ironsight mentioned on its own. unfortunately Dan doesn't like adding plugins to the site to accomplish stuff like sending emails and/or a private message when a thread is moved.
    Depends totally on what kind of software Dan is running and whether it would benefit the site. I don't need emails or PM's telling me a thread was (re)moved/deleted or closed myself. If a topic is closed, it most likely will stay in the section it was posted in to begin with so an email or PM would not be needed.
    If the topic is moved you go to your user CP and click the link in your subscription and it will guide you there and if a topic was deleted it can't be looked up anyway so there would be no need for an email or PM.
    I understand the reason for the OP's post but I fail to see the necessity for such an option to be put into place in the forums software. Every plugin added to the forums software will slow down the forum, which will require a software update and that might result in an increase of server cost.

(Delaware County)

Depends totally on what kind of software Dan is running and whether it would benefit the site. I don't need emails or PM's telling me a thread was (re)moved/deleted or closed myself. If a topic is closed, it most likely will stay in the section it was posted in to begin with so an email or PM would not be needed.
    If the topic is moved you go to your user CP and click the link in your subscription and it will guide you there and if a topic was deleted it can't be looked up anyway so there would be no need for an email or PM.
    I understand the reason for the OP's post but I fail to see the necessity for such an option to be put into place in the forums software. Every plugin added to the forums software will slow down the forum, which will require a software update and that might result in an increase of server cost.
    the forum runs on vbulletin. I don't think sending a PM when a thread is closed is all that useful, but when it's moved, I do think it's a neat thing to have...especially when there's not a redirection left where the thread was moved from.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    the forum runs on vbulletin. I don't think sending a PM when a thread is closed is all that useful, but when it's moved, I do think it's a neat thing to have...especially when there's not a redirection left where the thread was moved from.
    Like I mentioned Andrew........if a thread is moved and you go to your user CP.....the only thing you will have to do is click the link and regardless of where the thread is the forum software will guide you to the spot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast