Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Rules regarding the carry/transportation of long guns in philadelphia without LTCF?

??

is it legal to carry around and unloaded and cased .22 rifle in philadelphia without having an " exemption "?

thanks

Default Re: Rules regarding the carry/transportation of long guns in philadelphia without LTC

Quote Originally Posted by Fetus View Post
    is it legal to carry around and unloaded and cased .22 rifle in philadelphia without having an " exemption "?
    No. 10 characters.

18 PA C.S. §6108: Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:
    (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or

(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

(Chester County)

Default Re: Rules regarding the carry/transportation of long guns in philadelphia without LTC

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd bump this one. I've been reading a lot about PA gun laws, but frankly, feel more confused than informed.

Here's the deal. I plan on moving back to Philly and want to shoot at SPAG with my AR. Due to my past, I can't get a LTCF (though I'm not prohibited from buying/owning). It's my understanding, from the the above quoted text, a LTCF is required in Philly to carry any pistol/rifle. However, it seems if I'm going directly to and from a range I would be legal to do so under the exemptions. If I'm wrong, someone please point that out. I have no desire to get hit with a felony and lose my gun rights because I didn't do my due diligence.

So here's my question. How should my rifle be transported, legally?

I don't plan on traveling with ammo, so that's moot.

Will I need a trigger lock - say, through the mag well and loop out the ejection port?

My RRA AR-15 came with a case (albeit a bit flimsy) - would that or a rifle bag be fine to transport in?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DDeTora View Post
    Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd bump this one. I've been reading a lot about PA gun laws, but frankly, feel more confused than informed.

Here's the deal. I plan on moving back to Philly and want to shoot at SPAG with my AR. Due to my past, I can't get a LTCF (though I'm not prohibited from buying/owning). It's my understanding, from the the above quoted text, a LTCF is required in Philly to carry any pistol/rifle. However, it seems if I'm going directly to and from a range I would be legal to do so under the exemptions. If I'm wrong, someone please point that out. I have no desire to get hit with a felony and lose my gun rights because I didn't do my due diligence.

So here's my question. How should my rifle be transported, legally?

I don't plan on traveling with ammo, so that's moot.

Will I need a trigger lock - say, through the mag well and loop out the ejection port?

My RRA AR-15 came with a case (albeit a bit flimsy) - would that or a rifle bag be fine to transport in?
    The only requirement is that the firearm is 'not loaded' pursuant to your exception 18 Pa CSA 6106(b)(4) which then qualifies you under 6108(2):
    18 Pa CSA 6106(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    (4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.
    Loaded is further defined as:
    18 Pa CSA 6102 "Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Don't forget the definition of "firearm":

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BenGlock View Post
    Don't forget the definition of "firearm":

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    Your point?

For purposes of the OP and my reply in Post #4
    the term "firearm" shall include any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of the weapon.
    ref 18 Pa CSA 6106(e)(1)
    Last edited by tl_3237; October 7th, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Thanks for the help on clearing that up for me.

Cheers.