Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF?

(Tioga County)

Default SHTF?

Yes, I know what the acronym means. I see it bandied about in several locations on PAFOA routinely. What I'm curious about is what people are thinking when they describe it.

Many posters say they will be ready when the SHTF, or what to do when it happens, or how to prepare, or.... What, exactly, are these folks thinking? Is this some kind of macho posturing or do some members of this forum believe there will be some sort of armed conflict in their future? I can understand concealed or open carry and being prepared for street crime, especially in urban areas. I can also understand keeping firearms close in the home. Home invasions and burglaries can happen anywhere. What puzzles me is, beyond these scenarios, what is there? The sense I get from some of the posts leads me to believe that some are genuinely afraid of the prospect of either civil insurrection or invasion by an enemy force, be it organized military or terrorist.

Perhaps I'm naive or belong to the wrong political group, but this strikes me as more than a bit of paranoia.

I can see the possibility of this thread taking off like wildfire and suffering massive thread drift, and I'm not trolling. I'd be happy discuss this in a series of PM's to keep the thread from getting out of hand.

--Phil

Default Re: SHTF?

To me it could mean literally anything from an all out alien invasion to an escaped circus elephant rampaging down my street squashing people...or anything in between.

Here are some examples in this well written post from a friend...

A little food for thought...
    PEOPLE ASK WHY?
    Why Carry a Gun?
    There comes a time in every man's life when he stops busting knuckles and starts busting caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whooping.

I carry a gun and here's why...

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves.

Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess. Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whooping.

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. >From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens' Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WW II the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti gun-control message to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Switzerland issues every household a firearm!
    Switzerland's government trains every adult issued with a rifle in how to use it. Switzerland has the LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

IT'S A NO BRAINER! Don't let our government waste millions of our tax dollars in an effort to make all law abiding citizens an easy target!
    I'm a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment!
    SECONDS matter when the Police are MINUTES away!

Natrual disasters, some other country droppin a bomb on us, terrorist attacks, anarchy, and so on

(Northampton County)

To me, it'll be the regulations that eventually take so much from so many. As it all comes apart, those that haven't a clue will be pissed at those that did, and prepared accordingly. Those left without will lose it. Those who prepared, while not wanting to do so, will be forced to defend themselves and their families when class warfare breaks out between he who has, and he who has not. There won't be a way to explain to those that don't see "it", and thus the battle shall begin. Complete social breakdown.

As Calente said: "when you've lost everything, and have nothing left to lose, you lose it".

All the while, the man behind the curtain gets off scot-free while we kill each other in the streets.

Frickin sad.

Aliens???? Dunno about that one. Maybe the illegal type...

ps.. I hate to think this way...but I'm also not going to sit on my butt and wait for confirmation.
    Feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...ayathomed.html

...infinite distraction...

(Allegheny County)

Ever since the day my wife and I witnessed about 20 otherwise "civilized" people nearly coming to blows over who was going to get one of the 10 frozen turkeys being dumped into the display at the supermarket I realized that if people will fight you for a friggin' turkey, they will undeniably kill you over something more desirable.

Water comes to mind... there are a lot of scenarios that are not unthinkable that could cause a short-term disruption in the water supply. I'll be armed when it happens, thank you very much.

One man's SHTF is another man's rough week. I guess it depends on your outlook.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Venango County)

To me, the whole idea of SHTF could be anything. Same thing as how some people I know, and myself use the term "zombie".

The SHTF could be economic turmoil like in Grece. It could be the .gov taking to many liberties. Gas prices going through the roof. Riots, looting, turoil. A million scenarios that could realistically occur.

As for my use of the word zombies, and why I think it relates. I don't know if it was here, or another board I frequent. But someone had mentioned medication. How many people out there are on anti-psychotics, uppers, downers, nerve pills. If the S where to HTF, and these people couldn't just run to the pharmacy to pick up a bottle of fun. What do you think might happen?

Many people look at terms like those, and think those that prep are crazy. To be honest, we are. We try to do whatever we can so in the event something unexpected happened, we might have a fighting chance. We look at the economy, the society, and what is happening. We care about what tomorrow might bring, and hope that little stash we have somewhere just sits and gathers dust.

Am I expecting an EMP? No. Am I expecting brain hungry undead? Of course not. I am just expecting the unexpected.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    To me, the whole idea of SHTF could be anything. Same thing as how some people I know, and myself use the term "zombie".

As for my use of the word zombies, and why I think it relates. I don't know if it was here, or another board I frequent. But someone had mentioned medication. How many people out there are on anti-psychotics, uppers, downers, nerve pills. If the S where to HTF, and these people couldn't just run to the pharmacy to pick up a bottle of fun. What do you think might happen?
    hadn't thought about that portion of it, in that way. Very good point.

Also, if I may add, is the younger generation that have zero...and therefore, nothing to lose...

While some are waking up, the mass populace of younger folks aren't and won't... I see this in my neighborhood. It's gone from quaint and peaceful, to just on the fringe of inner city lack of morals. They have zero ethic, nada. While I don't fear them, I feel sorry for them.

I look around each day and see people going to and fro, business as usual so to speak. I can't imagine some scenario of the old west playing out. Then again...I sit sometimes and watch the punks in the neighborhood and the lack of respect and can only wonder how things will play out. Because they will indeed, play out, at some point.

Hedge accordingly.
    Feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...ayathomed.html

...infinite distraction...

Quote Originally Posted by stayathomed View Post
    hadn't thought about that portion of it, in that way. Very good point.

Also, if I may add, is the younger generation that have zero...and therefore, nothing to lose...

While some are waking up, the mass populace of younger folks aren't and won't... I see this in my neighborhood. It's gone from quaint and peaceful, to just on the fringe of inner city lack of morals. They have zero ethic, nada. While I don't fear them, I feel sorry for them.

I look around each day and see people going to and fro, business as usual so to speak. I can't imagine some scenario of the old west playing out. Then again...I sit sometimes and watch the punks in the neighborhood and the lack of respect and can only wonder how things will play out. Because they will indeed, play out, at some point.

Hedge accordingly.
    My quaint neighborhood in Jersey has gone downhill the same way...houses are being burglarized more frequently, fights in the street, lack of respect for my more elderly neighbors and their property as well as mine. Just getting tired of it. I am known as the "big crazy biker guy on the corner" and plan on keeping it that way for as long as I can. Those who know me, know I am never looking for confrontation but don't shy away from it either. I stand 6'1" 285 lbs (I wear a 60 chest size suit jacket, so it's not all fat, LOL), I wear my leather vest everywhere, and I have 48 hours of tattoos on me. Scary looking yes, scary when you know me, not in the least. But eventually it will play out and I want to be ready. Better to be armed and never need it then to be unarmed and need it.
    SECONDS matter when the Police are MINUTES away!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

Many posters say they will be ready when the SHTF, or what to do when it happens, or how to prepare, or.... What, exactly, are these folks thinking?

History likes to repeat itself. So redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast