Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default New RIA 1911 had to share

Finally broke down and bought one. It not easy coming up with extra cash in todays economic down turn.

Only shot a 1911 once until today. Was in a rush to get to the range. So stopped on the way at the Sportsman Liquidators (I think thats the name). Bought one box of the only 2 boxes they had. Independence 230 gr FMJ for $25.00.

At the range. Second round FTF. Rounds fault. Looked like the projectile was seated to far back. After that no problems. Although I only shot 24 rounds. Like I said was in a rush but needed to shoot my new 1911.

My grip was all wrong pulling to the left. And kept trying to grip it really high. But I will work on that. You can see the majority of shoots went left. Started to think it was the gun. But slowed myself down. Watched for flinching and was able to pull the rounds towards center. All shots were at 35 feet or greater. Seven of them at 25 yards. Here is the picture and I look forward to shooting this more often.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by algoesfast; September 25th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New RIA 1911 had to share

Congratulations! My RIA is a terrific gun, and I always recommend them. Enjoy it!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(York County)

At right around $400, the base RIA 1911 has got to be one of the greatest deals available today. I cannot remember ever hearing a bad word said about them, and there is much you can do in the way of upgrades and customizations while still staying well south of $1000.

It is like the Ruger 10/22 of pistols.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Monroe County)

I've had my RIA Tactical now for a year and I still love the gun. So much that I'm thinking about getting the smaller one for CC duty even tho I like my other guns more. It's that good and rock solid.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(York County)

One reason I waited so long. Is video's and others saying that it was tricky to field strip. I thought "don't want another MKII". So I put it off. Now after doing it. It is crazy easy. Don't understand what those people in the videos I have seen are having such a hard time with. Or maybe I just seen all the wrong videos.

And I always told friends. I would rather carry 17 rounds of 9mm over 8 of 45. But after seeing first hand the difference in size. I don't think I will ever carry anything else but 45's. Why not I'm a big guy and oc everywhere.

Can't wait to finish my new cobra inlay holster. It's going to be sweet!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by algoesfast View Post
    One reason I waited so long. Is video's and others saying that it was tricky to field strip. I thought "don't want another MKII". So I put it off. Now after doing it. It is crazy easy. Don't understand what those people in the videos I have seen are having such a hard time with. Or maybe I just seen all the wrong videos.

And I always told friends. I would rather carry 17 rounds of 9mm over 8 of 45. But after seeing first hand the difference in size. I don't think I will ever carry anything else but 45's. Why not I'm a big guy and oc everywhere.

Can't wait to finish my new cobra inlay holster. It's going to be sweet!
    No, the 1911s are not nearly as difficult or challenging to field strip as the MKII. There are many, like myself, who are not mechanical and realize it. The reassembly of the plunger under the pressure of the slide spring and keeping the spring straight on the downward motion, then having to reset the bushing without losing control of the plunger by having it spring back up is just too much drama for some people. Then there is the fear of resetting the take down pin too high and causing the dreaded idiot mark on the slide. Though if you do the field strip enough times, the fear of the boogie man goes away.

Congratulations on your puchase. I have two tactical Rock Islands and they are a great value. I suggest you visit a 1911 forum and you will find that Rock Island owners within the group have the enthusiasm of a pentecostal tent meeting.

(Montgomery County)

<snip>

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    I suggest you visit a 1911 forum and you will find that Rock Island owners within the group have the enthusiasm of a pentecostal tent meeting.
    That's one of the funnier things I've read in awhile.
    It's true though. Of the 1911's I've owned so far, my Tactical two-tone and the SA Range Officer (never should have gotten rid of that) have been the two best.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Northumberland County)

I have a RIA fs plane jane 1911 , i hated the smooth wooden grips that came with it so i changed to black carbon fiber grips. RIA has very good customer service.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by algoesfast View Post
    Finally broke down and bought one. It not easy coming up with extra cash in todays economic down turn.

Only shot a 1911 once until today. Was in a rush to get to the range. So stopped on the way at the Sportsman Liquidators (I think thats the name). Bought one box of the only 2 boxes they had. Independence 230 gr FMJ for $25.00.

At the range. Second round FTF. Rounds fault. Looked like the projectile was seated to far back. After that no problems. Although I only shot 24 rounds. Like I said was in a rush but needed to shoot my new 1911.

My grip was all wrong pulling to the left. And kept trying to grip it really high. But I will work on that. You can see the majority of shoots went left. Started to think it was the gun. But slowed myself down. Watched for flinching and was able to pull the rounds towards center. All shots were at 35 feet or greater. Seven of them at 25 yards. Here is the picture and I look forward to shooting this more often.
    First,congrats on your new RIA- excellent choice.
    Second, you're SUPPOSED to grip it high- the slide should be just above your hand.
    Third, for your second time with a 1911 that isn't bad at all. Look again and you'll realize pretty much all of your shots were "minute of man".
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(York County)

When I said I gripped high. I am saying high. For some reason I kept trying to get the webbing of my hand above the beaver tail. I was all over it. Luckily didn't pull the trigger with the grip that high. Never got bitten. But it was screwing with my concentration.

Thanks for the comment on my shooting. I know it will do the job. But the gun is better than that. Guess that is what I was saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast