Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Pike County)

Angry Terrible: Wallenpaupack Sport Shop and Northeast Firearms

I just got back from a trip from Wallenpaupack Sport's Shop and Northeast Firearms, I just don't know where to begin with how terrible my experiences were with these places. For the past week I have been searching for an M&P 9 Full Sized so I checked out these places since they are near by. I called them both up and they told me I can have the pistol for $480 cash out the door so I said great. This week I came by and neither had one in stock.

First I go to Wallenpaupack Sport's Shop, I walk in and the guy at the front desk totally ignores us. He talks with one guy that had a rifle on the desk while on the phone. We wait around for a good 5 minutes just waiting and finally some guy sitting on a stack of cans comes by and ask what we need. He generally came off unfriendly acting like we were disturbing them. I tell him I wanted an M&P 9 Full Sized and when I called last week the guy quoted me a price of $480, he goes to show me a M&P 9C and M&P9L that are well over the $500 mark telling me pretty much yeah right we're going to sell you this pistol for anything less than $530. He continues to stare at me with disdain and I said ok and walked out.

I drive down to Northeast Firearms right after this to see what they got. The desk in the back is packed with some geriatrics that are looking around blocking my path to the pistol display. I finally get to the desk looking at the prices waiting on the guy behind the counter. These guys are two young guys that look even younger than me talking about these BS taticool experiences, one including wearing glow sticks around their necks. He's also pointing a pistol around in an uncomfortable manor. I ask the guy behind the desk about the M&P 9 Full Sized and he is unsure about the price, guessing at the price of around $499. Again he says we don't have them, it would have to be ordered and like the guy back at the last place seemed uninterested in my business. So totally aggravated and confused by the generally uncaring attitude of this guy and the last I turn to my father to see what he thought about the price he just tells me it's up to me. So I say I will check online and left.

After this on the way back to my car my father tells me this is typical of the businesses up here, he was pissed at this point at the way they treated me. Both of the places had people looking around and talking to the people behind the desk with no intention of purchasing. I had the actual intent of purchasing something from them but they ignored me and finally when they felt like talking to me they talk to me with disdain and disgust on their face. Even going as far as this young guys buddy at Northeast Firearm telling me I should be an SD40 they had on the shelf acting like I know nothing about firearms.

Honestly I know what it came down to in both stores, they knew I was out of state (I was born in Brooklyn and came up here when I was 20) and they want nothing to do with me or my business as they are prejudice. They have that good old boy mentality and they only want to deal with their kind even if it cost them business, it's obvious they didn't care about making a sale. So now I want nothing to do with the local businesses up here, I am disgusted by the way I was treated. However I am seriously getting into firearms so where should I do my firearm shopping? I am looking for a firearm shop that is friendly, respectful, knowledgeable and professional. I am looking for a larger place where they don't just deal with the good old boys but anyone that interested in firearms.

So please help me out here, right now I am looking online for a place to buy my pistol and have it FFL'ed to the Pickerel Inn as they're half-way decent folk but I would prefer buying from an actual store where I can ask questions without getting these unwelcoming/dirty looks. I gave up on finding a place nearby to do business and I am willing to drive a bit to find a decent place to do my shopping.

So please give me some help if you can, suggestions on where to shop would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; September 24th, 2011 at 02:28 PM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Terrible: Wallenpaupack Sport Shop and Northeast Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    I just got back from a trip from Wallenpaupack Sport's Shop and Northeast Firearms, I just don't know where to begin with how terrible my experiences were with these places. For the past week I have been searching for an M&P 9 Full Sized so I checked out these places since they are near by. I called them both up and they told me I can have the pistol for $480 cash out the door so I said great. This week I came by and neither had one in stock.

First I go to Wallenpaupack Sport's Shop, I walk in and the guy at the front desk totally ignores us. He talks with one guy that had a rifle on the desk while on the phone. We wait around for a good 5 minutes just waiting and finally some guy sitting on a stack of cans comes by and ask what we need. He generally came off unfriendly acting like we were disturbing them. I tell him I wanted an M&P 9 Full Sized and when I called last week the guy quoted me a price of $480, he goes to show me a M&P 9C and M&P9L that are well over the $500 mark. He continues to stare at me with disdain and I said ok and walked out.
    I drive down to Northeast Firearms right after this to see what they got. The desk in the back is packed with some geriatrics that are looking around blocking my path to the pistol display. I finally get to the desk looking at the prices waiting on the guy behind the counter. These guys are two young guys that look even younger than me talking about these BS taticool experiences, one including wearing glow sticks around their necks. He's also pointing a pistol around in an uncomfortable manor. I ask the guy behind the desk about the M&P 9 Full Sized and he is unsure about the price, guessing at the price of around $499. Again he says we don't have them, it would have to be ordered and like the guy back at the last place seemed uninterested in my business. So totally aggravated and confused by the generally uncaring attitude of this guy and the last I turn to my father to see what he thought about the price he just tells me it's up to me. So I say I will check online and left.

After this on the way back to my car my father tells me this is typical of the businesses up here, he was pissed at this point at the way they treated me. Both of the places had people looking around and talking to the people behind the desk with no intention of purchasing. I had the actual intent of purchasing something from them but they ignored me and finally when they felt like talking to me they talk to me with disdain and disgust on their face. Even going as far as this young guys buddy at Northeast Firearm telling me I should be an SD40 they had on the shelf acting like I know nothing about firearms.

Honestly I know what it came down to in both stores, they knew I was out of state (I was born in Brooklyn and came up here when I was 20) and they want nothing to do with me or my business as they are prejudice. They have that good old boy mentality and they only want to deal with their kind even if it cost them business, it's obvious they didn't care about making a sale. So now I want nothing to do with the local businesses up here, I am disgusted by the way I was treated. However I am seriously getting into this firearms so where should I do my firearm shopping? I am looking for a firearm shop that is friendly, respectful, knowledgeable and professional. I am looking for a larger place where they don't just deal with the good old boys but anyone that interested in firearms.

So please help me out here, right now I am looking online for a place to buy my pistol and have it FFL'ed to the Pickerel Inn as they're half-way decent folk but I would prefer buying from an actual store where I can ask questions without getting these unwelcoming/dirty looks. I gave up on finding a place nearby to do business and I am willing to drive a bit to find a decent place to do my shopping.

So please give me some help if you can, suggestions on where to shop would be great. Thanks.
    I have never had a problem in the sport shop, they have always been very helpful.
    It looks to me like one person was assisting a customer, while someone else showed you what you asked for.
    do you really consider 5 minutes a long wait time?
    He may have not been the one you talked to last week about the price.
    Did you get the name of the person you talked to?
    did you ask for them when you got there?
    (thats what i do no matter what business i use)

I've never used the other shop.
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by tim81688 View Post
    I have never had a problem in the sport shop, they have always been very helpful.
    It looks to me like one person was assisting a customer, while someone else showed you what you asked for.
    do you really consider 5 minutes a long wait time?
    He may have not been the one you talked to last week about the price.
    Did you get the name of the person you talked to?
    did you ask for them when you got there?
    (thats what i do no matter what business i use)

I've never used the other shop.
    The wait was understandable however the attitude displayed by this individual was unacceptable so I left. I should have got the persons name who gave me the price (My father told me this too). I just got so irritated with the treatment I didn't want to give them my business afterwards. I am thinking they gave you better treatment since they know you and know you're from the area.

Thumbs up Re: Terrible: Wallenpaupack Sport Shop and Northeast Firearms

The 3 people I have ever dealt with at Wallenpaupack Sports Shop, Mark, the lady and I believe it may be his son have always treated me great over the years.

They also had no way of knowing where I was from or who I was the first time I ever went there and was treated great even the first time.

I will only go to 2 shops, ASS and Wallenpaupack. Those in my opinion are the 2 best I have been in.

I recommend this shop if anyone is in the area.

(Northampton County)

I was thinking about my post, i was going to just let it be... but i decided to give you some more feedback.

First of all, you seem to have an attitude with a chip on your shoulder
    (brooklyn?)
    you get angry because you had to wait behind other people who you thought were just window shopping when you had money to burn.
    well, first off it's first come first serve wait your turn.
    those geriatrics as you called them ( who were in front of you) could have been longtime customers of the shop.
    outside of the chip on your shoulder, did you have a sign that said you were from ny? (so they could treat you bad)
    Most of the customers in the shops in that area are not original from PA. Most are vacationers up for the weekend or transplants who were stupid enough to believe the trains would be going from ny to the area in the next few years.
    I think you need to evaluate the way you present yourself.
    you act as though everything should stop when you walk in the store and you should be treated first.
    That's not the way we do it here, sorry.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    The wait was understandable however the attitude displayed by this individual was unacceptable so I left. I should have got the persons name who gave me the price (My father told me this too). I just got so irritated with the treatment I didn't want to give them my business afterwards. I am thinking they gave you better treatment since they know you and know you're from the area.
    I'm not from the area at all. I'm almost an hour away, i go in there because i have family and friends in pike co. and i feel it's a good shop.

(Pike County)

I was thinking about my post, i was going to just let it be... but i decided to give you some more feedback.

First of all, you seem to have an attitude with a chip on your shoulder
    (brooklyn?)
    you get angry because you had to wait behind other people who you thought were just window shopping when you had money to burn.
    well, first off it's first come first serve wait your turn.
    those geriatrics as you called them ( who were in front of you) could have been longtime customers of the shop.
    outside of the chip on your shoulder, did you have a sign that said you were from ny? (so they could treat you bad)
    Most of the customers in the shops in that area are not original from PA. Most are vacationers up for the weekend or transplants who were stupid enough to believe the trains would be going from ny to the area in the next few years.
    I think you need to evaluate the way you present yourself.
    you act as though everything should stop when you walk in the store and you should be treated first.
    That's not the way we do it here, sorry.
    I'm not from the area at all. I'm almost an hour away, i go in there because i have family and friends in pike co. and i feel it's a good shop.
    Precisely what attitude are you alluding too? It's seems like you approve of the owners of these shops profiling me before I even open my mouth. As for my behavior I was just standing around waiting silently, I didn't put on any attitude at any time. In fact I didn't get upset about the whole situation until I was driving home and letting today's events set in. Right now you're just shooting in the dark assuming I am another asshole from New York just like the guys in that shop did, maybe I made an error of coming here asking for advice.

I figured some ex-New Yorkers or folks from New Jersey that live up here dwelled on these forums and found a place that wouldn't put on an attitude because I am not a local. I am curious where do you live? An hour away in Pennsylvania or out of state? Having family up here makes a world a difference in many situations I noticed. Now how would he tell I am not from the area? Simple, he doesn't recognize me. I am even told by people up here they can tell I am not from the area by my accent, in fact many guessed correctly I am from Brooklyn.

As for the geriatrics my issue wasn't with them being in front of me but they they're not paying attention to their surroundings, I just wanted to walk over to the display case to their left but they were blocking my path unnecessarily. I waited around for a good few minutes waiting on them to let me through, when in a small place like that I am always checking to make sure I am not blocking someones path as that's the right thing to do. What they did IMO was inconsiderate. Maybe it was a mistake even responding to your post as it seems you don't really understand where I am coming from and I couldn't really explain to you the issue since you are from the area.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; September 24th, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I can't speak to Northeast Firearms, but as for Wallenpaupack sports shop, I more or less do business exclusively with them when I am in the area, even when I am out of the area, Mark has always done well for me. You are jumping to the prejudice thing just because you were "treated" poorly, I know plenty of people from New York, I actually grew up in NY as well, who have off putting attitudes, but don't know it. It's just the way they are, no offense. Mark does not care about selling to locals only, I know for a fact he ships a ton to out of state FFL's for customers. Mark cares about good Customer Service, and having your repeat business. I normally leave these kinds of posts alone, but Mark has always done me right, so I am returning the favor, and obviously I am not the only one with this view, perhaps it is time to evaluate that it may be your attitude. You should have asked for the owner (Mark) and relayed your concern to him to resolve the issue, rather than running online and trashing a place you stopped in once.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by echo5echo View Post
    I can't speak to Northeast Firearms, but as for Wallenpaupack sports shop, I more or less do business exclusively with them when I am in the area, even when I am out of the area, Mark has always done well for me. You are jumping to the prejudice thing just because you were "treated" poorly, I know plenty of people from New York, I actually grew up in NY as well, who have off putting attitudes, but don't know it. It's just the way they are, no offense. Mark does not care about selling to locals only, I know for a fact he ships a ton to out of state FFL's for customers. Mark cares about good Customer Service, and having your repeat business. I normally leave these kinds of posts alone, but Mark has always done me right, so I am returning the favor, and obviously I am not the only one with this view, perhaps it is time to evaluate that it may be your attitude. You should have asked for the owner (Mark) and relayed your concern to him to resolve the issue, rather than running online and trashing a place you stopped in once.
    I don't even know who I talked to, I doubt it was this Mark person. However I didn't even speak enough words to put off an attitude, here is a summary of what I said:

Guy: Can I help you?
    Me: Yes, I am interested in an M&P 9 Full Sized. I called last week and got a price of $480.
    Guy: (Takes me over to the case) We only have these two, the compact and Long which cost over $500 so if the compact cost this much your not getting this Full Sized for $480.
    Me: Oh, ok well I must have called someplace else and got the price from them. (I turn around and walk out after saying this).

My conversation with this man ended up being a total of 1 minute in length and before I even opened my mouth the guy was looking at me with this look that said to me "Why are you even here?". Honestly you cannot tell when someone is looking at you with anger or aggravation? I mean you're telling me about this supposed attitude I am putting out but what about the attitude the people I dealt with put out? Why is their attitude acceptable? I work in a job where I have to deal with people and if I dealt with my companies customers in this manor I would have been disciplined or even lost my job, even if I was right and the customer was being a jerk.

I don't remember this guys face too well, all I remember is that he was balding and had a short hair cut. Probably not this Mark fellow. I think I regret making this thread as everyone is assuming how I behaved and give the people in this business a great deal of slack. I guess I will have to figure out on my own who I can take my business to. As for trashing his business it was rightfully deserved and I plan on bringing it up if anyone ask about them. You and no one else here was in the shop at the time so you can only assume about the situation at hand, I even admitted that I probably wasn't talking to Mark (Is he the guy behind the firearm counter?). If I was wrong I wouldn't be here complaining about it and my father who is much older than me also picked up on his poor demeanor which he mentioned to me after we left. Now to see if I should have this thread closed or see where it goes....
    Last edited by LifeInPa; September 24th, 2011 at 04:13 PM.

If you seem to think they are prejudice why not go to a shop in NY? Port Jervis is only up the road.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast