Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: wouldn't take my application

Quote Originally Posted by Retired One View Post
    If I remember right when a child is born overseas to American parents on base, when he turns 21 he has the option of taking on the citizenship of either the country he was born in or the United States. I have two brothers born in Germany and two sisters born in Greenland when they turned 21 they had the option of either citizenship one or the other but not both. Apparently it was not hard for them to take on U.S. citizenship since they were all still in the armed forces at the time.
    It doesn't really work that way. I researched it a while ago when I was trying to get an EU passport so I could work in Europe easily. Since I was born *on* base, I was always a US citizen and wouldn't ever have the opportunity to be a German citizen.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    OK, so they require proof of citizenship.....
    voter registration card.

(Montgomery County)

It doesn't make any sense. You don't have to be a citizen to qualify for a LTCW, as long as you are a legal permanent resident, then you qualify.

Obviousely your passport should be proof enough since it is issued by the USA goverment and it vouches that you are in fact a citizen. The whole world accept the passport as proof of citizenship but not the Philadelphia gun unit?

Are they really so ignorant or are they just plain stupid?
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    ...Are they really so ignorant or are they just plain stupid?
    ...Both...?

(Philadelphia County)

I'm sorry BUT<>>...... you know where this is going,

While I do not agree with the way Philly does things (in re to Gun Permits), but following simple directions should be a simple process:

If it states on the Application that they don't accept certain forms of ID, then guess what, they won't accept it, however stupid the reasoning is!!

I also can't believe that someone old enough and mature enough to carry a gun does not have their Birth Certificate. I know it's east to blame everything on others, but how about taking a little responsibility ourselves.

Remember, it's not the people who work at the GPU that make Phila's ridiculous rules. They do, however, like any other employee at any other job, have to follow the rules and guidelines set forth by the completely anal retentive Superiors!!

No, I do not work there, but just like us, The employees at Philly's GPU, get bum raps simply for doing what they have no control over.

Thanx for reading and please don't drag me thru the coals for posting this, I just feel sometimes people want to blame everyone else for their avoidable bad experiences.

Dan
    Body Piercing by Glock!!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by DanB1722 View Post
    I'm sorry BUT<>>...... you know where this is going,

While I do not agree with the way Philly does things (in re to Gun Permits), but following simple directions should be a simple process:

If it states on the Application that they don't accept certain forms of ID, then guess what, they won't accept it, however stupid the reasoning is!!

I also can't believe that someone old enough and mature enough to carry a gun does not have their Birth Certificate. I know it's east to blame everything on others, but how about taking a little responsibility ourselves.

Remember, it's not the people who work at the GPU that make Phila's ridiculous rules. They do, however, like any other employee at any other job, have to follow the rules and guidelines set forth by the completely anal retentive Superiors!!

No, I do not work there, but just like us, The employees at Philly's GPU, get bum raps simply for doing what they have no control over.

Thanx for reading and please don't drag me thru the coals for posting this, I just feel sometimes people want to blame everyone else for their avoidable bad experiences.

Dan
    Ah yes, teriaki just acquiesce to their every demand, because as the U.S. Citizen that actually understands the law you should just quietly submit to those who don't.

Dan, I agree with you about the birth certificate, just not the rest.

Those who work at the GPU do have a role in the rule-making process, especially when the rule is a technical one like this, and not a political one (how they define a dangerous character, for example). Lt. Lisa King, whom I disagree with on many things, has changed things at the GPU.

Take this case, for example: http://articles.philly.com/2011-04-2...-permits-boyer

While I was checking out Boyer's complaint, unknown to me, so was the Police Department. Last week, the Marine received an apology from Lt. Lisa King, who heads the Gun Permits Unit.

The unit, she said, is working to "prevent similar problems" in the future.

Let's hope so. You know, you can fix a lot of the physical problems with a mop and paint brush. The harder issue is teaching people who sit behind desks that they are public servants.
    OP, file an official complaint, and e-mail Stu, he's gotten some information I've sent him before published online as well, and chances are he'll call the PPD GPU about their policy.

I myself was laughed out of my Sheriff's Office when I questioned the policies at hand; a huge part of that policy I was questioning has since been corrected and it didn't happen just by following their simple, but incorrect, directions.

(Philadelphia County)

I sincerely doubt that the OP had any dealings with anyone "of Rank" such as Lt. King, while at the GPU. The people I'm referring to that just follow the guidelines given to them are certainly not the rank of Lt. The people I refer to, I assure you, do not have any say in the rule making process of the GPU. If you think differently you, obviously, have never worked for the CITY!!!

I'm not trying to be difficult, only trying to help. We all know there will be difficulties in trying to get things done, and while that does suck and need to change, if you want your Permit, follow their rules, then after getting what you need, go after the changes. To me, it is more important to legally carry first, then go about the BS! I know not everyone agrees, but getting my Legal permit is paramount.
    Body Piercing by Glock!!

(Philadelphia County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by DanB1722 View Post
    What a fucking jackass. Where did I say I didn't *have* my birth certificate? I didn't have it on me. I keep mine in a safety deposit box at a bank near my parent's house. Where do you keep yours? I hope when your house burns down you have fun trying to figure out how to get a new birth certificate. It might be easy for you, but it would be harder for me because I have to go through the State Department.

But I'm not responsible. Seriously... assumptive moron.

IronSight - thanks for all the information. I'll definitely contact them and file an official complaint. I did have my voter registration card on me and they wouldn't take that either. Hopefully some good can come out of this and I can force them to enact some change that would help the next person.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by teriaki View Post
    IronSight - thanks for all the information. I'll definitely contact them and file an official complaint. I did have my voter registration card on me and they wouldn't take that either. Hopefully some good can come out of this and I can force them to enact some change that would help the next person.
    Perhaps you can write Lt King explaining the problem with their current instructions. Their mistake is the assumption that "foreign born" applicants who are US citizen were naturalized. This is not the case, you can refer them to the State Department page on the matter.

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...ship_5199.html
    Last edited by Philbert; October 2nd, 2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Didn't need to quote the personal attacks

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by teriaki View Post
    What a fucking jackass. Where did I say I didn't *have* my birth certificate? I didn't have it on me. I keep mine in a safety deposit box at a bank near my parent's house. Where do you keep yours? I hope when your house burns down you have fun trying to figure out how to get a new birth certificate. It might be easy for you, but it would be harder for me because I have to go through the State Department.

But I'm not responsible. Seriously... assumptive moron.

I think he meant well with the comment about the birth certificate; I know I've gotten angry at posts that weren't intended to offend in the past, but it's not something to get worked up about.

I have an idea, I'll send you a pm tonight though since I have to head off to work now.
    Last edited by IronSight; October 2nd, 2011 at 03:58 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast