Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Pondering Beretta PX4 for first gun

After much debate and a great deal of test firing of semi-auto pistols of all sorts I believe I am settling on the Beretta PX4 Type F in 9mm as my first pistol purchase. My reasons are quality of the firearm, mostly favorable reviews, reasonable price, cost of ammo and feel of the gun.

I really like it a great deal and I'm not made of money, in fact my gun purchase has been vetoed by my significant other in favor of an engagement ring, wedding and most recently her unpaid maternity leave.

HOWEVER..... my true love is in the .45 1911-A1. While I realize I can get a decent1911 for close to the same price, it won't have all the same features and will cost more to shoot; which I like to do often at the range. In particular I have grown very fond of the Springfield PX9152L which is approx. 75% more expensive than the PX4 but has all the bells and whistles I've ever wanted. Meaning I will have to wait a few more months to save.

My question is two parts; one - Can anyone please share their own observations of the PX4? And two - I'd love to hear your independent opinions regarding my dilemma in choosing which of these two firearms for my first.
    Last edited by danp; January 3rd, 2010 at 07:30 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Pondering Beretta PX4 for first gun

One of our moderators doug owns a PX4, hopefully he can chime in with his comments shortly. My understanding however is that he loves it.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Chester County)

Thanks Daniel, I hope to hear from him. BTW - I just found this site yesterday and it is very well done.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTauss2000 View Post
    Thanks Daniel, I hope to hear from him. BTW - I just found this site yesterday and it is very well done.
    Glad you like it! Welcome to the forum.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Erie County)

hello guys, and welcome to the forums, MTauss2000!

I have a Beretta Px4 and a 1911. There are pros and cons with each.

The beretta is a very fine gun. The rotating barrel makes it very accurate, it comes from the factory with night-glow sights, and a 17+1 capacity. (mine is 20+1) It's very reliable. I've put over 1000 rounds through mine without a single failure.

Though, with that said, a 9mm is not going to drop a charging bear in his tracks, even if you manage to get several rounds off. The 9mm will offer you some protection, but it isn't powerful enough for all situations.

The 1911 is a very well engineered pistol, and is a lot of fun to shoot. As you know, they generally only hold 7+1, and are .45 ACP. They pack significantly more of a punch, and will make any attacker non-threatening in a single shot. They do cost more to shoot, obviously, so if you're going to the range a lot, it might not be ideal.

This is why I have several guns. Cheap 9mm's for the ranges and for pinches, and the 1911 .45 and a .410 derringer for everyday carry.

If I could only have 1 gun, it would probably be a HK USP .45

I hope this helps,
    Last edited by doug; November 21st, 2006 at 12:52 PM.

(Chester County)

Thank you for your input Doug; I appreciate the info.

(Bucks County)

Doug, for his 1st pistol and if he is considering a Beretta 9 mm - would you not recommend a 92 instead? Seems to be the meat & potato pistol that should be part on any arsenal. Its a proven platform with mags and parts widely available.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Doug, for his 1st pistol and if he is considering a Beretta 9 mm - would you not recommend a 92 instead? Seems to be the meat & potato pistol that should be part on any arsenal. Its a proven platform with mags and parts widely available.
    92 is a big gun, I wouldn't ever want to carry one of those.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    If I could only have 1 gun, it would probably be a HK USP .45
    Wow, now you've planted an expensive little seed in my head. I did just contact Beretta USA and they couldn't provide an exact date but expect the .45 PX4 to be released sometime around SHOT 2007 which is from Jan. 11-14. He didn't know any specs though so I don't know what the capacity is.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Though, with that said, a 9mm is not going to drop a charging bear in his tracks, even if you manage to get several rounds off. The 9mm will offer you some protection, but it isn't powerful enough for all situations.

The 1911 is a very well engineered pistol, and is a lot of fun to shoot. As you know, they generally only hold 7+1, and are .45 ACP. They pack significantly more of a punch, and will make any attacker non-threatening in a single shot. They do cost more to shoot, obviously, so if you're going to the range a lot, it might not be ideal.
    I have to disagree with this logic. First off neither .45 ACP or 9mm will stop a bear in its tracks. There are plenty of documented cases of people soaking up an entire magazine of .45 without being taken out of the fight. It all comes down to shot placement. It doesn't matter if the bullet is .355” in diameter or .45” in diameter the only way to instantly make an attacker nonthreatening is with a central nervous system hit. Even somebody that is shot in the heart (even with a .45 ACP “death ray”) still has enough time to return fire or stab you before their brain runs out of blood. Your best bet is to get a quality pistol that you shoot well in a standard service caliber that you can afford to shoot thousands of rounds of, and practice shooting your target 'to the ground' It doesn't matter if it is .45, .40, 9mm or even .380/9x18mak. the drill is 2 in the chest one in the head repeat if necessary. Or shoot them once with your death ray and when they keep coming explain to them that they should have been “knocked down” by your “stopping power”.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast