Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Default Re: Permit to Carry denied by Susquehanna County Sheriff

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post

if he goes through the process that would be pretty indicative of what the PD "has on him" (IE: probably nothing)
    Exactly right.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lancaster County)

Another thought occurred to me. If DC truly had questionable character, would he have bothered to try and become licensed and thus follow the law in the first place? If he were the crazy shoot-up-the-mall type, would he care if he had a license? I kinda find that ironic.

(Lebanon County)

A copy of the Clifford Police report should be obtained by the attorney so there is record of exactly what was said. Furthermore, if there was a criminal act, the police would have pursued it, don't ya think? Especially involving a firearm. The sheriff says someone "Came in" to report their issue. Sounds a little hinky, as Joe Friday used to say. This is the age of telephones you know. The phone call would have been recorded also. Wouldn't be good for the Sheriff. As far as the neighbor is concerned, if it was me, and I knew for sure who went to the Sheriff, from then on there would be no more good neighbor policy. No threats or anything like that, if I saw wrongdoing, heard loud music at off hours, etc, the police would be called.
    Last edited by nijwnfi; January 18th, 2008 at 12:48 PM.

(Pike County)

Let's remember what Franklin said: "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by nijwnfi View Post
    As far as the neighbor is concerned, if it was me, and I knew for sure who went to the Sheriff, from then on there would be no more good neighbor policy. No threats or anything like that, if I saw wrongdoing, heard loud music at off hours, etc, the police would be called.

Don't mean to hijack, but I agree with your good neighbor policy. A few weeks ago my girlfriends dog got out and ran into the next door neighbors yard. I called her, squeeked a squeeky toy and she ran back inside. the whole incident lasted about 15 seconds. Where I come from if you see a neighbors dog in your yard you tell it to go home, or bring it back. Instead of coming to me and saying "keep your dog out of my yard." or "I don't like it when your dog runs in my yard." he called the police. 3 cops, and 45 minutes later we have a $300 fine for "roaming at large" and I now hate the neighbors. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE JUST LISTEN TO MR. RODGERS?

hijack off

There are a lot of factoids and questions flying around, I still have not read all 14 pages yet, but the last couple of pages cause me to state this:

Getting information from a PA agency would not be under a FOIA request, which is a Federal statute. PA has it's own statute, which (from memory) I believe is called the "Right To Know Law." There are exceptions under that law for open criminal investigations and other things, the sheriff would likely find one that would apply.

The issue of "abode or fixed place of work" is an exception to unlicensed concealed carry, and has no application to open carry. He could openly carry in his house, in his backyard, on the sidewalk, or an hour's walk into town. Open carry is not concealed carry, and the fact that his neighbor observed him doing it sort of settles the "open or concealed" question.

Hearsay actually IS admissible in court when the issue is "character or reputation". In fact, reputation is almost defined by hearsay. There's case law on this.

I'm sure that there are things that I missed, there's a whole lot going on in this thread.

OK, chat amongst yourselves...
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; January 18th, 2008 at 01:05 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I brought the neighbor's dog back the other day, had to herd her through the front yard on the motorcycle to get her back. It's the right thing to do.

Wait, permit issues? Oh right, right. Continue

Gunlawyer, I still am curious how the "abode" wording pertains to CC on your own property without a LTCF. I understand that it does not pertain to this case exactly, however, let's say that he gets ruled as carrying concealed (despite the fact that someone saw it) is that covered under the letter/spirit of the law?
    Last edited by Atomic Dog; January 18th, 2008 at 01:06 PM.

(Monroe County)

I asked some of my non gun owning friends what they would think if they were out shopping and saw someone OCing in the supermarket and these are a couple of the responses that I received. Keep in mind that these people know absolutely nothing about guns or gun laws, and that I corrected them and informed them of the law.

"I would find someone who works at the the store and have them call the police."

And

"I would call the police and report the person on my cell."

Based on the judgement of the Sheriff in question, the person who was carrying the gun should be subject to denial of a LTCF or perhaps revocation if he/she already had one. I guess that in Susquehanna County, if one person feels uncomfortable about you owning a gun, then you are ineligible to carry. It is a crying shame that DC has to go through something like this because of an ignorant sheriff on a power trip.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The issue of "abode or fixed place of work" is an exception to unlicensed concealed carry, and has no application to open carry. He could openly carry in his house, in his backyard, on the sidewalk, or an hour's walk into town. Open carry is not concealed carry, and the fact that his neighbor observed him doing it sort of settles the "open or concealed" question.
    I laughed at the bolded line. I had been thinking the same thing...

Anyhow, I'll be waiting here ready to send a cheque if legal assistance is required.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Susquehanna County)

I agree I'll help Damage any way I can. I'll even be at the courthouse in Montrose if he goes farther. With this case and PA are you telling me to stop asking questions ??? If that the case you'll have to ban me.

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast