Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Blank gun for self defense in RUSSIA???

Soon I will be traveling to Russia for couple of months of stay. So I started to researching best defense weapon I can get my hands on. No surprise to anybody, but I found out that it’s nearly impossible to own real firearms and I will have to resort to “less lethal” means of protection. Russians suggested starter pistol with tear gas rounds or starter pistol with “9mm PA” rounds. I liked sound of second one and asked more questions. Russians explained that 9mm PA is rubber bullet (more like 6mm ball covered in rubber) They did not know what PA stand for. They said that I need to buy starter pistol and some of those PA rounds.
    I can’t buy it in Russia when I hit the ground, it will take month to get permit to carry that rubber gun or they call it “traumatic pistol” AND it cost at least $500 for starter pistol in Russia!!! Plus buck something per round!!! If I buy it here, I could apply now and pick up permit when I get there.

I recall seeing starter pistols/ blank pistols and they had open barrel but had little “divider”. I thought it was to prevent from shooting projectiles and I was told it helps gas to spread if you decide to use pepper spray rounds.

I asked my buddy about this and he recalled shooting 9mm training rounds or 9mm PRACTICE AMMO. That rubber ball could kill a phone book he said : ) Maybe that’s what PA stands for I thought: PRACTICE AMMO.

Anyways: here’s couple questions and gentlemen please keep it on the subject.

1. Where in USA I can get starter pistol without “divider” in the barrel (if possible without drilling myself or involving gunsmith because I was told I might have problem if weapon was modified)
    2. Where in USA I can buy 9mm PA rounds (I think it’s PRACTICE AMMO)
    3. Is there any legal issues in Pennsylvania with this weapon?

Shooting rubber bullets from "starter pistol" :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKfKeTvcAlQ
    Last edited by Egres; September 21st, 2011 at 01:39 PM.

Default Re: Blank gun for self defense in RUSSIA???

I'm unfamiliar with Russian gun laws, and I can only think that any advice that I would give you would make me an accessory before the fact to only God knows what.

Read up:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle4359522.ece

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/wo...05village.html

Pine cones might be a better call.

(Lackawanna County)

id think russia is like taking a gun to new jersey. you do it you get caught you arent coming back

You can't use pepper spray or a good pocket light with a skull crusher in Russia?

Taser? Stun gun? ASP?

I have absolutely no knowledge wrt firing rubber pellets from a starter or tear gas gun.

I also would not trust it, and would rather use one of the devices i named in lieu of it.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: Blank gun for self defense in RUSSIA???

This sounds like an extraordinarily BAD idea waiting to happen.

If you're worried about being caught by Russian mobsters (who - most assuredly - do NOT use blanks), then hire some of your OWN.

If THAT'S not feasible - don't go. Hire someone IN Russia to do your business FOR you. Unless you know PRECISELY where there's buried gold or some such, you are BEGGING for a world of hurt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    This sounds like an extraordinarily BAD idea waiting to happen.

If you're worried about being caught by Russian mobsters (who - most assuredly - do NOT use blanks), then hire some of your OWN.

If THAT'S not feasible - don't go. Hire someone IN Russia to do your business FOR you. Unless you know PRECISELY where there's buried gold or some such, you are BEGGING for a world of hurt!!!
    Not to be any too Paul Harvey, but "Egres" is going home for a visit and is looking for an advantage so that he doesn't become a statistic while visiting.

The idea of hiring a low level local gangster to protect him isn't the worst idea ever.

(Delaware County)

I spoke with Russians about different options and was told this is best way to go. Because in worst case i can shoot into the head and it's lethal in close range. A lot of European country have this "rubber weapon" because of the anti gun laws so those starter pistols been market tested for many years and they work.
    Last edited by Egres; September 21st, 2011 at 01:50 PM.

This doesn't sound like a great idea. Are you sure there aren't any other options?

Quote Originally Posted by Egres View Post
    I spoke with Russians about different options and was told this is best way to go. Because in worst case i can shoot into the head and it's lethal in close range. A lot of European country have this "rubber weapon" because of the anti gun laws so those starter pistols been market tested for many years and they work.
    I suggest backing the starter gun up with one of these very compact Nebo lights.

You can get these for about $10, they're pretty bright, and if your rubber bullets fail, the "compliance bezel" WILL get the job done.

Kate and Mikes gun shop in Philly (i think it's on oxford avenue) sells them locally.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast