Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default PA Gunlaws - Help Clarify Please

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to my thread, and my name is Jamil. I have a couple questions concerning PA Gunlaws and other gun advice especially when it comes to navigating, understanding, and practicing my rights.

I am a intelligent (Central Grad 269), mature, and responsible black male, 19-years of age (20 yo in January 2012). I am of course a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and have no plans on having one ever. I come from a very well-educated black middle class family, and live in the Andorra section of Philadelphia. I have never been in a bad situation where I've needed or had to defend myself and I'm quite proud of that. I try my very best to avoid being at the wrong place, at the wrong time or bringing trouble around. In other words I don't associate with trouble. But in case of trouble I would like to be able to have a deterrent/plan to defend myself.

So, I've been having issues with understanding up to date and current gunlaws, not just in PA but including Philadelphia as well and much has been contradictory confusing. So my questions are listed here pertaining to Handguns.

1.) I am 19 years old. Am I legally within my rights to purchase a handgun for self-defense purposes, or is the law in fact 21?

2.) I live in Philadelphia, am I able to apply for a PA LTCF at 19, or is the law in fact 21yo?

3.) I live at home with my parents, I am considered a dependent. Is it legal for me to possess and own a firearm/handgun by law in their house? Is that considered a residence/abode?

4.) Recommendations for places where a beginner new to firearms could train and learn more about safety, operation , firearm retention, and etc.

5.) Also what is the legality of collapsible batons, as an alternate to a firearm?

Any advice, help, and etc. is very much appreciated and heeded. Thank You.

As a CCW choice, I was looking at a Kahr P380 with some type of holster to completely conceal.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: PA Gunlaws - Help Clarify Please

Quote Originally Posted by jamilmoore View Post
    1.) I am 19 years old. Am I legally within my rights to purchase a handgun for self-defense purposes, or is the law in fact 21?

To purchase a firearm in PA from an FFL, you need to be 21. To purchase a long gun (shotgun, rifle, etc.) in PA from an FFL you need to be 18. You could purchase a firearm (Handgun, etc.) privately (non-FFL) at age 18+, but you would have to have a Sheriff perform the transfer (GL!). You can purchase a long gun (non-FFL) privately from someone like you would purchase a stick of gum from them. Easy peezy, no paperwork.

2.) I live in Philadelphia, am I able to apply for a PA LTCF at 19, or is the law in fact 21yo?
    ---You live in Phila (city of the first class), in order to carry a firearm or longgun nearly in any manner....you need a LTCF/CCW. In PA, you need to be 21 in order to apply for you LTCF. You could apply for a non-resident MAINE CCW, and then afterwards apply for a NH permit which PA recognizes through reciprocity. Then you can carry concealed or in a car in PA and not be 21+ You still would not be allowed to go within 1000' of a K-12 school (Federal Law)

3.) I live at home with my parents, I am considered a dependent. Is it legal for me to possess and own a firearm/handgun by law in their house? Is that considered a residence/abode?
    Irrelevant by law, now your parents might have something to say about it...

4.) Recommendations for places where a beginner new to firearms could train and learn more about safety, operation , firearm retention, and etc.
    Search the forum... tons of info

5.) Also what is the legality of collapsible batons, as an alternate to a firearm?
    Search the forum on this. Since you are in Philly, I would not recommend it.

Any advice, help, and etc. is very much appreciated and heeded. Thank You.

As a CCW choice, I was looking at a Kahr P380 with some type of holster to completely conceal.
    Welcome!

(Lehigh County)

I'm not too sure on some of these so I will leave the more informed to reply, but for these questions:

1) you need to be 21

3) If you have a driver's license and your address is the same as your parents (I'd assume) you're fine. Actually, it doesn't matter who else lives there as long as YOU aren't prohibted from purchasing.

4) Take an NRA safety course with an NRA certified instructor. Some of them are free or very cheap.

(Philadelphia County)

BimmerJon!

Thanks for clearing PA laws up. Did you notice the website doesn't give ages that as for qualifications that well or is it me?

Thanks again,

-J

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks Storm! Def will do that, I've got some more researching to do. :-D

(Delaware County)

BimmerJon!

Thanks for clearing PA laws up. Did you notice the website doesn't give ages that as for qualifications that well or is it me?

Thanks again,

-J
    What website?

Also.... one more thing.... In PA, Firearms (handguns) can be transferred privately between parents, grandparents and spouses. So if your mom/dad, grandmom/pop or wife wanted to buy a gun with the intention of gifting it to you, they could absolutely do that.
    They would buy the gun from the FFL, and then give it to you (no FFL or paperwork needed).

Fed. 4473 (12a) states: "Are you the actual buyer listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person."

For purposes of this form, you are the actual buyer if you are purchasing the
    firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (for example,
    redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment). You are also the
    actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm as a legitimate gift for a third party.

ACTUAL BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for
    Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT
    the actual buyer of the firearm and must answer “no “ to question 12a. The
    licensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to
    buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is
    the actual buyer of the firearm and should answer “yes” to question 12a.
    This is not a straw purchase as his intention is to GIVE/GIFT the firearm to you when he is purchasing it.
    Last edited by BimmerJon; September 20th, 2011 at 11:17 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Bimmer,

I meant the PAFOA in reference to just laws and descriptions with age, maybe its me. My dad however may be the owner of a firearm but I don't know for certain. In my house, my family isn't as open about discussing weapons as I am, or my as much as my dads friends are. Me and him don't ever discuss firearms. My dad is a Juvenile Probation Officer too. A couple years ago though I do remember hearing the my mother and father discussing him having applied to get his LTCF. My family is odd, I'm an only child. lol So my chances are better off on my own, but not being sneaky because that's not my intention. Bimmer thanks for your wisdom and I'm seriously considering your LTCF route.

(Bucks County)

Bimmer,

I meant the PAFOA in reference to just laws and descriptions with age, maybe its me. My dad however may be the owner of a firearm but I don't know for certain. In my house, my family isn't as open about discussing weapons as I am, or my as much as my dads friends are. Me and him don't ever discuss firearms. My dad is a Juvenile Probation Officer too. A couple years ago though I do remember hearing the my mother and father discussing him having applied to get his LTCF. My family is odd, I'm an only child. lol So my chances are better off on my own, but not being sneaky because that's not my intention. Bimmer thanks for your wisdom and I'm seriously considering your LTCF route.
    Please also do respect your parents wishes, you are still living under their roof.
    -NS
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]