Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Let's get a governor's proclamation...it's like Congress naming post offices.

A government is limited by universal constraints. It can act only so far as it has the currency of the universe: time. For us, it comes down to human time and money. So when we put someone into office, they have a finite amount of time and money with which to get things done. Each decision and act is one that consumes time and money, at the opportunity cost of another.

One of the most worthwhile expenses I have found that Congress participates in is the naming of post offices. It isn't as if there are millions of pages of unconstitutional acts that require repeal that would be a better use of that time and money. Next to naming post offices, they make good use of time and money by congratulating teams and honoring dead people in resolutions. God bless you, Congress. The Pennsylvania General Assembly does not get to name post offices but it engages in its fair share of resolves this or that for no good governmental reason whatsoever.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that the Pennsylvania Governor participates in the same useful types of things! While researching proclamations to try to understand how they are made and disseminated, and to find a particular proclamation Corbett recently issued regarding Irene, I found anecdotes about the REST of the proclamations that come from our Governors.

Corbett proclaims March 2001 as Irish Heritage Month.
    "Governor Tom Corbett today proclaimed Jan. 24-29 as “Pennsylvania School Choice Week”"
    "Despite the allergic annoyances that pollen causes, it's an important part of the natural world. So much so that PA Governor Tom Corbett, along with 49 other state governors have declared June 20-26, 2011 “Pollinator Week.”"
    Rendell proclaims May 9th-15th, 2010 as Food Allergy Awareness Week.
    "Governor Tom Corbett has proclaimed March 13-19 Wildfire Prevention Week in Pennsylvania"
    "With Governor Tom Corbett's proclamation of May as Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month"

I'm still waiting on total numbers of proclamations Corbett and Rendell have issued.

I don't see why a proclamation for gun rights or gun owners or whatever wouldn't be a valid waste of time. Here is apparently one roadmap to proclamation-mongering (I don't know if they ever successfully received a proclamation from PA). What would make the proclamation worth any time whatsoever, of course, is actual declarations of something related to law (which was grinding in the wheels of my mind during the Irene proclamation. Let's get a proclamation that 18 Pa.C.S. 6107 is unconstitutional in the face of declaring an emergency over the whole state, which is still in effect!)

I mean, it's either this, or the governor could be spending time furthering the protection of individual rights through his office as best he can.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Let's get a governor's proclamation...it's like Congress naming post offices.

Preliminary digging indicates hundreds of proclamations are issued per year. The Correspondence Office handles them in entirety, and they are either signed by the governor or proxy signed. Apparently many of the proclamations are of a minor, self-serving, single event recognition nature, rather than to declare any specific thing to the public such as making a day, week, or month, one of some significance or another. That means if we want a series of proclamations for this and that, softball ones are apparently sure things.

If I wasn't against government waste, PAFOA would be receiving a proclamation in the next few months... because I think it is the premiere Pennsylvania website on firearms, as far as I am aware, and the community has exponentially disseminated and amassed knowledge, and action has probably come about as a result. But wouldn't you like the money-time spent by some artificially constituted office, with the creation of more people to be paid, to spend time doing things that have a more directed and acute relevance to state law and the preservation of the constitution?

I think I'm going to have to look up what a Governor actually does.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Let's get a governor's proclamation...it's like Congress naming post offices.

Preliminary digging indicates hundreds of proclamations are issued per year.
    I may have misunderstood. I think that is supposed to be that hundreds of applications for proclamations must be made over a governor's term.

It's been reported to me that Corbett issued 35 ceremonial proclamations to-date this year, plus emergency proclamations. I couldn't get a number for Rendell but the state has his in a box somewhere with an index so I imagine a number is not hard to come by.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    but the state has his in a box somewhere with an index so I imagine a number is not hard to come by.
    'In The Box' are listed 178 folders = presumably, 1-folder = 1-proclamation...