Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default new ruger blackhawk has to go for repairs already, how to send??

Bought a new model super blackhawk on gunbroker. 44 mag. it keep shooting to the left of the target even after I adjusted the rear sight as far as it would go. WEll brought it home and it looks as though the front sight is tilted or mounted to the right too much. I put 18 rounds through it and it has to go back. Well, my question is 1. What do I have to do when I ship it. It came to the dealer USPS. So it needs insured. and should I get a return receipt so I know that they received it. And do I need to contact ruger so I can verify it got there and track the progress. I don't want it to get lost in some warehouse and the paperwork misplaced. Any direction would appriciated.
    Last edited by ironhorse; October 10th, 2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: update
    In God We Trust............................

(Franklin County)

Default Re: new ruger blackhawk has to go for repairs already, how to send??

Only FFL licensees can use USPS for handguns, so you'll either need to pay one to do that for you, or send it yourself via UPS/FedEx, etc. UPS/FedEx policy requires that you send it overnight. It's not "illegal" to do otherwise, but you would likely lose any insurance coverage in the event you needed to make a claim on this item.

Also, you will need to send it directly through a 'hub', not from a Staples, UPS Store, etc. There is a UPS hub in Chambersburg, and a FedEx hub in Hagerstown. Personally, I wouldn't travel into MD to ship it. I don't know where the closest FedEx facility in PA is located.

Make sure the package is adequately insured. Last I knew, UPS only provides $100 automatically. If you want coverage above that, you need to request (and pay for) it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

If you haven't already, call Ruger first and explain everything to them. that way they will know it's coming. Then you will have to ship it UPS or FedEx OR get a FFL to ship it USPS for you (much cheaper even with paying the FFL his fee). If sending it througha FFL, the FFL should give you a receipt or give you the paperwork from the PO. If you ship it you will get a receipt from UPS or FedEx along with the tracking number. Insure it for what it will cost to replace the gun (in the unlikely event that something happens). I have never done the return receipt (haven't had any issues so far) but you can if you want. Ruger will do their thing and send it back to the person who sent it to them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Last I knew, UPS only provides $100 automatically. If you want coverage above that, you need to request (and pay for) it.
    The first $100 is still automatic and last time I shipped through UPS it was $2.50 per additional $100. However......I would ship through an FFL and let them use USPS. I have never had any problems.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

I think we're making this harder than it really is. When I returned my M&P to S&W, they emailed me a Fedex shipping label, which I printed and put on the package. I packed it in a standard FedEx box from our office mailroom. Don't put anything on the outside of the box that indicates what's inside. I took it to the FedEx office, they scanned it (they knew what was inside since it since the airbill was already in the system) and tossed on the pile. As I recall it was second-day air, and I think it was addressed to "SAW" to avoid revealing what was inside. I got it back by FedEx a couple of weeks later, and they even gave me another magazine. Total cost to me: a trip to the FedEx office. No FFL, no "how do I ship it, no insurance questions. You probably have to take it to a "real" Fedex (or they may use UPS) office, not a FedEx Office (Kinkos) or one of the "mailbox" places. I've never returned a Ruger, but they have a good customer service reputation and their process is probably similar.

(Bucks County)

call ruger first and then follow their instructions for shipping the gun back to them.

(York County)

I sent my lower back to Stag. After emailing and telling them what was wrong they emailed my a UPS label. I packed it up and dropped it off at the main ups facility. When it came back, it was sat on my door step.

(Butler County)

had to send a beretta neos 22 pistol back for recall work. call/email them, get the label, send it out. it was way easier than i expected. UPS actually came to my house to pick it up so i didnt have to deal with making a special trip anywhere. make sure you keep whatever reference number they give you so you can track the progress....i forgot to keep mine, so i had to just wait till i finally got it back.

(Franklin County)

Just an update. thanks for the help with this by the way. I called Ruger, they are sending ups to my house to pick it up. They have a week to look it over and a week to fix it. They give their people definite in and out times. I was alittle disappointed that I have a problem with such a popular name brand gun, but I am very impressed so far with their service dept. They are coming to get it thurs this week. I'll post an update when i get it home. Thx again
    In God We Trust............................

(Butler County)

glad to see its going to be an easy transaction...sucks to have to send a gun away, but its a good thing a brand name like that has a decent warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast