Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Conversation about carry with Oley Fair

My wife and I are planning to attend the Oley fair tonight. We have never been, so I decided to give them a call to ask if they were on public or private property and if they had a firearms policy. I found their phone number and gave them a call and below is roughly what I can remember from the call.

Me: Hi, I was planning on visiting the fair tonight and was wondering if you have a firearm's policy?
    Lady: A what?
    Me: A firearm's policy.
    Lady: A fire alarm policy?
    Me: No. I have a License to Carry a Firearm and I am not sure if you are on private or public property and would like to know if there is a firearm's policy.
    Lady: A gun! (to other people in the office) This guy wants to bring a gun to the fair. (Back to me): Why would you want to bring a gun to the fair? It isn't that kind of fair it is an agriculture fair. I don't think bringing a gun is a good idea.
    Me:I would like to know if there is a firearm's policy.
    Lady: I really just don't think that is a good idea
    Me: I did not ask if you thought it was a good idea I asked if there was a policy
    Lady: I don't know. No one has ever asked. It just isn't a good idea.
    Me: I want to talk to someone who does know

At this point she connects me to security. I should have gotten his name but I did not.

I basically explain to the guy that I plan on attending the fair and I want to carry a firearm and ask if their is a policy

Guy: Well we really don't like to have unnecessary firearms on the property if we don't have to.
    Me: Is there a policy? Is it private or public property I don't want to get all the way out there and then be turned away for having a holstered gun.
    Guy: Well we don't have a policy but it is on private property at the Oley Fire (either station or association) but do you have a license and will it be concealed?
    Me: I have a license and it will be holstered on my hip.
    Guy: That is fine, you wont be bothered, especially since I won't know you have it if I can't see it.

So that went okay. I agreed to conceal because once he confirmed that it was on private property I knew that he could have easily said no, but he said if it is concealed then I can carry.

I was a bit shocked that the folks in Oley would respond in that manner because it is fairly rural and the fair is full of farmer's etc. If any of you plan to attend the Oley Fair, cover it up and be safe.
    Me:
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Conversation about carry with Oley Fair

I don't understand why you called to ask permission to do something completely legal.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    I don't understand why you called to ask permission to do something completely legal.
    Because the fair grounds are private property and not public property. I live 30 mins away, so had I gone and not been allowed to enter because I was carrying then I would have had to drive the 30 mins back home.

Had the fair grounds been on public property I would not have asked about a policy.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    Because the fair grounds are private property and not public property. I live 30 mins away, so had I gone and not been allowed to enter because I was carrying then I would have had to drive the 30 mins back home.

Had the fair grounds been on public property I would not have asked about a policy.
    Good idea, when you got there was there any signage regaurding guns?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pamedic View Post
    Good idea, when you got there was there any signage regaurding guns?
    Nope, no signage at all. There really wasn't even a set entrance as it is free to attend. The only time you actually "enter" anything is to park, and it is run by the boy scouts.

I know this for next year so I will not bother calling.

Do they have a "Fire Alarm" policy?

Quote Originally Posted by SA@YPS View Post
    Do they have a "Fire Alarm" policy?
    Great post. You're gonna like it here!
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    I'm with uni on this. If you were that concerned about being turned away just CC as 99% of the privately owned places I've ever been to don't have any signs prohibiting firearms. Without any signs and without anyone seeing it there's no possibility of any problems.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I'm with uni on this. If you were that concerned about being turned away just CC as 99% of the privately owned places I've ever been to don't have any signs prohibiting firearms. Without any signs and without anyone seeing it there's no possibility of any problems.
    Unless he intended to OC the whole time. Then he gets there and is turned away. He also could have brought a secondary conceled holster but that seems a little annoying.

(Chester County)

Just like I posted on the other fair question...

I want to give you negative rep for this. Did you ask permission for other lawful activities while you were on the phone? Unless the location is a legal no carry area or is posted then CARRY. of course the police said no, they would say no to you owning a gun if they could.

When you shine light on a subject best left un-examined you will get a bad answer and now they will have a policy.

If it is posted then do not trespass, if it is against the law, don't break the law, otherwise go about you own business.
    Hoplophobia is funny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast