Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Angry Carry at the York Fair? UPDATE NO CC/OC

I've been trying to figure out if the York Fair accepts CC/OC this year. Im having a really difficult time finding a number to call and ask before i head down. I generally OC but with large crowds there i will CC. I really want to get an answer before i waste my time going down there only to be turned away. I WILL NOT leave my gun in my car, carry there without permission, or give my hard earned money to somebody that doesn't respect my life enough to allow me to protect it and my girlfriends life.

Any help or being pointed in the right direction will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Shisno; September 17th, 2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: update.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(York County)

Default Re: Carry at the York Fair?

I would definately CC instead of OC because of the reason you stated with the large crowds there. I personally haven't been to the fair for several years so I could not say for sure if they have signs posted or not but I would guess that they don't. On the other hand I would definately say that they don't do searches so I would say CC away. Just my opinion though.

(York County)

Default Re: Carry at the York Fair?

I CC'd there last night with my GF and one of our friends. No problems to report from doing it and there were definitely no searches that I had to go through.

My pistol actually became visible at least once because my shirt pulled up and at least one person saw it. He and his wife didn't freak out or nothing, instead the man just asked me if it was a 9mm and I told him "no, .40 S&W". We both nodded to each other and went about our separate ways.

There were cops there roaming but they don't seem to be that bad.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

Angry Re: Carry at the York Fair UPDATE NO CC/OC

Ok so i did finally get into contact with somebody at the York Fair. I spoke with Chief Rice. We had a rather pleasant conversation but he did inform me that they DO NOT allow carry on the fairgrounds. I told him that i view myself and my firearm as the same entity and if my firearm is not allowed i will not go (i did this politely) and he was respectful the entire time.

They hold a meeting after the fair is done to review any policy changes for next year. He told that firearms will be a part of the discussion.

The address to write to the fairgrounds about this is 334 Carlisle Ave York PA 17404 and addressed to The York Fair.

I will be writing a letter explaining my displeasure about them not allowing carry at all and i ask for your help too. Next year we may see signs at the entrance stating NO WEAPONS if we don't do anything.

The reason chief rice gave for no weapons being allowed is the increased violence in the area (yea i know it seems counter productive). Please help me bring our voice to their attention and maybe, just maybe, next year we will be able to carry without tresspassing on their property.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Carry at the York Fair? UPDATE NO CC/OC

Find out who owns the property where the fair is held, and who actually puts on the fair. If it is city/county owned property, and put on by the city/county, then it should be a preemption violation to ban the legal carry of firearms in any manner (CC/OC).
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Find out who owns the property where the fair is held, and who actually puts on the fair. If it is city/county owned property, and put on by the city/county, then it should be a preemption violation to ban the legal carry of firearms in any manner (CC/OC).
    How would i go about doing that? This is my first time getting this involved in something like this and i am in uncertain territory. Like i said i need your (plural) help. I would love to take full charge of this but since its my first time, if somebody with more experience would like to take the bull by the horns then by all means do so. Or if you (again plural) would like to guide me that will help a lot too.

(York County)

If you need help, just let us know. People will help you.

Otherwise, keep your cool and know your facts when you talk to anyone about this. (ask here, know there) The more informed you are, the more respect they will give you because they will give you since they won't be able to pull the wool over your eyes at all.

You've got my support and help available if you'd like / need it.

(about the updated information)
    I'm a bad, bad, bad boy.....

(York County)

Also, there is an OC meet and greet in Shrewsberry today at 7pm. You may be able to find more support with some of the attendees (myself and GF included) by meeting with them and explaining in person.

I can't remember how to link the thread but you should be able to find it quite easily on here.

(Delaware County)

It doesn't matter what the opinion of the Chief is - unless he owns the place, he doesn't have any say.

If the fair takes place on public property and is open to the public, it is more likely than not perfectly legal for you to carry your firearm openly or concealed. The reason the Chief gave you of "increased violence in the area" is more of a reason to carry than not, anyway.

Edited to add: Just got off the phone with York Fair Customer Service. The property is owned/controlled by the York County Agricultural Society.

It is unclear whether or not the YCAS is a private company or a part of the county.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; September 17th, 2011 at 02:20 PM.
    Junior

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    How would i go about doing that? This is my first time getting this involved in something like this and i am in uncertain territory. Like i said i need your (plural) help. I would love to take full charge of this but since its my first time, if somebody with more experience would like to take the bull by the horns then by all means do so. Or if you (again plural) would like to guide me that will help a lot too.
    The fair appears to be owned and run by the York County Agricultural Society - a private entity unencumbered by preemption.
    http://www.yorkfair.com/history.htm

You can verify this by checking the records at the county recorder of deeds or look at the tax assessment records at city hall.
    IANAL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast