Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clearfield County)

Default Range Testing the 460 S&W Magnum

I had much of this posted on another thread and, because it was something different, I thought it made more sense to move the content to a thread that described the contents better. I got a chance to shoot a number of rounds on Sunday. My goal was to get some baseline information about the revolver's performance with both 460 loads and reduced 45 Colt rounds. Everything shot was loaded by me so I knew exactly what was in each round.

Phase 1 was shooting some 460s. I mounted a 4X scope and shot a few rounds at 25 yards to get on paper and them moved the target to 100 yards because the 460 was showing every indication that it was capable at that distance. The 100 yard target is the small dot just to the left of the telephone pole.

The 460 will test your concentration. To shoot about 30 shots and basically controlling it with one hand from a rest and hit things requires you to concentrate and control the recoil. The average service pistol in 40 S&W or 45 with a good defense round will generate about 6 ft/lbs of recoil. The 240 XTP-Mag traveling around 1960 fps is developing approximately a ton of kinetic energy and about 30 ft/lbs or 5 times the recoil of a service pistol. The first round hit at 5 O-clock right on the edge of the paper. I was concerned that trying for a group there was just too close the edge. I cranked about 5-6 minutes left windage and shot 3 shots. The 3 shots grouped at 6 in the 8-ring. I then made an elevation adjustment and shot a couple more groups of 5 rounds.

I was still convinced the revolver could do better, I tried to be as firm and consistent as I could with my grip while not tensing my trigger finger. I didn't look between shots and I am convinced that the limit is how consistent you are on the grip. I am still working on it but I am very pleased so far. I will follow up with the 45 Colts as that had surprises as well.

(Clearfield County)

Default Shooting 45 Colts in a 460 S&W Magnum

I did shoot some lead 45 Long Colt rounds but only from 25 yards. I shot two types: a swaged 255 that is tumble lubed and 225 cast round nose wadcutter. I shot a 5-group with each at 25 yards. The performance with the two was night and day. The swaged 255 only hit the target 3 of the 5 rounds and one keyholed at 3 in the 7 ring. There are two additional holes in the target (circled) but they were 460 rounds I was using to get on target with the scope before I shot at 100 yards. The velocity was low at 712 fps so I am certain that they were not going too fast.

I then shot the 225 cast rounds and it put all 5 in a tight, about 1” group low-right on the target. I pulled the staples and inverted the target and shot 5 more. 4 of the 5 were in 1 hole and the group was in the in 1.5” range. These rounds were faster at 834 fps.

The 255s shoot very well out of my Ruger single action. I am guessing that the progressive rifling in the 460 does not agree with the non-grease grooved softer rounds. The cast bullets were made by me but they are not gas check rounds. I just got a gas check 300 mold I hope to try soon. I will post the results.

Default Re: Range Testing the 460 S&W Magnum

Not that it matters too much, but I said in another thread, if you want to explore long distance shooting with a pistol, get an FN 5.7 or a S&W revolver. At the time, I was being a little sarcastic since there are a number of pistols that will do this, but the S&W revolver was, like, quick to the mind, because so many hunters use these beasts to take down game a distances some rifle shooters have trouble with.

Great photos.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Default Re: Range Testing the 460 S&W Magnum

1961 FPS out of a .45 cal bullet will ruin anything's day.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Clearfield County)

Default Midway 200 Grain Blem Bullets

I bought some bullets from Midway that were sold as blems for $12 and change per hundred. No brand is listed but they appear to be Hornady 200 grain FTX bullets. I wanted to load some and I shot them at 50 yards and they put 5 rounds into approximately a 1" center-to-center group.

The velocity was averaging just under 2200 fps.

They looked so promising that I had to try some at 100 yards. When 5 shots went into a group under 2", I got on the computer and tried to buy more.....sold out!