Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Black Bear caliber?

This coming season will be my first black bear hunt and I am wondering if my calibers are gonna be good enough to protect me incase SHTF. I have a 7.62x54 and a .40 S&W. I know the .40 isn't the IDEAL caliber but its all I have. Also, personal bear hunting experiences?

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Black Bear caliber?

Your 7.62 will be fine. No FMJ ammo though. Assuming the 40 is in a semi auto, you're out of luck there as semi-autos aren't legal for hunting. You can still carry it, but can't shoot a game animal with it.

Dale

(Clarion County)

the 7.62 will work, use at least 180 gr soft points or poly tip expanding points. fmj or match hp are no good for hunting, they dont expand. The .40 will just give him a bad attitude. carry at least a .44 hand gun.

myself I carry a .300 wm with 200gr swift a frames or a .45-70 revolver with 325 hornady flex tips.
    Last edited by aggitator; September 15th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

The 762 X 54 would be fine for black bear provided you have the right ammo, read your hunting manual pertaining to ammo legal for big game. You can carry the 40S&W with the proper license, how ever it would not be legal to hunt with.

(Clarion County)

I believe the OP means the .40 as an emergency back up, but I wouldn't depend on it, it's not enough!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by aggitator View Post
    I believe the OP means the .40 as an emergency back up, but I wouldn't depend on it, it's not enough!
    I know you can conceal carry in archery but can you in rifle I don't think so, I may be wrong but my first reaction to the question is that it is illegal.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    I know you can conceal carry in archery but can you in rifle I don't think so, I may be wrong but my first reaction to the question is that it is illegal.
    Its Legal. With an LTCF.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Its Legal. With an LTCF.
    ^^^what he said^^^^ don't matter what the season is.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    yeah what everyone else said. you CAN NOT hunt with a semi-auto pistol during ANY season though. If you conceal carry a revolver that meets the hunting requirements you can hunt with it and use it for "safe" self defense... the chances of you getting away with pulling out a .40 S&W pistol and shooting a bear while you have a rifle for "self defense" is going to be a very hard sell

This goes for ALL seasons, rifle, archery, duck, turkey... etc.
    Last edited by Dredly; September 15th, 2011 at 09:20 PM.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    yeah what everyone else said. you CAN NOT hunt with a semi-auto pistol during ANY season though. If you conceal carry a revolver that meets the hunting requirements you can hunt with it and use it for "safe" self defense... the chances of you getting away with pulling out a .40 S&W pistol and shooting a bear while you have a rifle for "self defense" is going to be a very hard sell

This goes for ALL seasons, rifle, archery, duck, turkey... etc.
    OK sorry bad question you guys are right , Can you carry a concealed semi-auto while hunting. My fault, he mentioned .40 cal for back up and that most likely is a semi. I understand the revolver can be used in bear hunting and be concealed but I guess the real question is. In archery you can conceal carry a semi but you can't in bear season. The other question is can you conceal carry a .22 lr during bear or dear season?
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast