Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default State Game Lands

Does anyone hunt the SGL's in washington county? If so I would like to ask some more questions about it.
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

(Washington County)

Default Re: State Game Lands

I hunt and work SGL 232 Taylorstown.Claysville, SGL 245 E Finley , SGL 302 Wash /Greene and SGL 297 Scenery hill
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Washington County)

This is going to be my first time hunting on the SGL's here is Washington Co. How populated are they? Are there any issues with finding a place to hunt? I have a relative who has land in Greene Co. would I be better off hunting there or is there good hunting available in the SGL's? I guess I'm just not sure what to expect. Also, should I be concerned with scouting out a place and then arriving on opening day and having other people in those spots. Any advice on how to handle that.

Sorry for the rookie questions, but this is my first time hunting here and no one else in my family hunts, so I'm learning this on my own.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
    This is going to be my first time hunting on the SGL's here is Washington Co. How populated are they? Are there any issues with finding a place to hunt? I have a relative who has land in Greene Co. would I be better off hunting there or is there good hunting available in the SGL's? I guess I'm just not sure what to expect. Also, should I be concerned with scouting out a place and then arriving on opening day and having other people in those spots. Any advice on how to handle that.

Sorry for the rookie questions, but this is my first time hunting here and no one else in my family hunts, so I'm learning this on my own.
    Tell ya what PM me your number and I will call you tomorrow and can put you onto some places.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Washington County)

Will do, thank you.

(Washington County)

Well I waited a week figuring you might be busy or something and still no call. Not really a big deal, but you were the one that said you would call me and then blew me off.

I didn't give you negative rep, never have before, but I did think about it.

So I guess I would like to re-ask these questions to everyone else. I will be deer hunting on private property, but want to hunt small game on the SGL's.

(Washington County)

I deer hunt 232 but this year I will be hunting small game there. Any suggestions would be helpful. Game in which areas and such?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by madoskey View Post
    I deer hunt 232 but this year I will be hunting small game there. Any suggestions would be helpful. Game in which areas and such?

I was going to try SGL 117 for small game but I was told that it isn't the best for squirrel. And that I should try Hillman state park which is just up the road. Got some tips on some nice places to try there, and with it being 3,600 acres, it shouldn't be too hard to find a spot by myself for squirrel.

I will be going tomorrow to scout out some areas. Not too sure about rabbit/grouse etc. I can let you know what I see. Sorry I can't be of help with 232. But at least you will know about an area that's close by.

(Washington County)

Ill let you know how how it plays out. Ive kicked out a few birds and have seem plenty of tree rats there while deer hunting so ill give it a try.

(Washington County)

Went out first thing Saturday morning and stayed for about three hours. Didn't see a single squirrel. The wind was just whipping thru the trees making it had to hear anything. Lot's of hunters in the woods at Hillman State Park. Did see 3 nice doe and heard a decent amount of shooting.

Will try again on Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast