Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Default Re: FN Five SeveN pistol

(Lackawanna County)

Okay, I'll bite: what's so special about this gun and the 5.7x28mm round? I've never seen it, or heard of that caliber.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    Okay, I'll bite: what's so special about this gun and the 5.7x28mm round? I've never seen it, or heard of that caliber.
    It is a bottle neck cartridge. It also shoots very flat. It is also an expensive round to plink with.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

It's like a scaled down mini rifle round. It has a bottleneck shaped case so that you can fit a lot of powder behind a small projectile. The result is a very flat-shooting, fast, accurate projectile that penetrates much more than other handgun rounds, and allows for higher capacity because of it's size/shape.

It's known to be a "cop killer" cartridge because it can penetrate soft body armor with the right ammo, which is voluntarily restricted by the manufacturer (FN Herstal) to law enforcement and military only.

It's the same round used in the P90 PDW and PS90 Carbine:

Last edited by bac0nfat; September 21st, 2011 at 02:35 PM.

It's a rifle round fired from a pistol.

It easily defeats any soft body armor up to level IIIA with the right ammunition. (which is legal to buy, possess, and carry)

It basically renders soft body armor obsolete and useless.

It has a range 3-5x what a typical legacy caliber pistol has (depending on skill level)

It hits velocities up to 2600fps from a PISTOL with some ammunition, which creates a rifle like hydro-static shock bubble upon impact with soft tissue.

It holds 20rds of ammunition, or 30rds of ammunition with an extended clip that only protrudes about 1 1/2" from the pistol grip.

It has virtually no recoil whatsoever. Follow up shots are extremely fast, and very accurate.

It's only competitor at this time is the HK 4.6x30mm, used by the US Navy SEALs in the HK MP7 platform.

The 5.7x28mm and 4.6x30mm are the state of the art in Personal Defense Weapon calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    It's known to be a "cop killer" cartridge because it can penetrate soft body armor with the right ammo, which is voluntarily restricted by the manufacturer (FN Herstal) to law enforcement and military only.
    The pistol has an infamous reputation because it was used by the Fort Hood mass murderer/terrorist, and because many commonly available rounds will easily defeat body armor. Not just the FN SS190 round that you're referring to. It is also very popular with Mexican drug cartels because, again, it renders soft body armor obsolete.

Elite makes several rounds that actually outperform the SS190, and which are available for "civilian" sale and use.

The US Secret Service presidential detail uses the P90 to protect the President. The Queen of England's protection detail use Five SeveN pistols.
    Last edited by Valorius; August 21st, 2012 at 08:41 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

[QUOTE=Valorius;1737535]It's a rifle round fired from a pistol.

It easily defeats any soft body armor up to level IIIA with the right ammunition.
    (which is legal to buy, possess, and carry)

It has a range 3-5x what a typical legacy caliber pistol has (depending on skill level)

It hits velocities up to 2600fps from a PISTOL, which create a rifle like hydro-static shock bubble upon impact with soft tissue.

It holds 20rds of ammunition, or 30rds of ammunition with an extended clip that only protrudes about 1 1/2" from the pistol grip.

It have virtually no recoil whatsoever. Follow up shots are extremely fast, and very accurate.

It's only competitor at this time is the HK 4.6x30mm, used by the US Navy SEALs in the HK MP7 platform.

The 5.7x28mm and 4.6x30mm are the state of the art in Personal Defense Weapon calibers.

you know I have been thinking about acquiring one of these in the future adn you go and post all this information I didnt need to see all in one spot. Thanks! my time table might have just got bumped up.
    Last edited by NathanB; September 21st, 2011 at 03:09 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    The pistol has an infamous reputation because it was used by the Fort Hood mass murderer/terrorist, and because MANY commonly available rounds will easily defeat body armor. Not just the FN SS190 round that you're referring to. It is also very popular with Mexican drug cartels because, again, it renders soft body armor obsolete.

Elite makes several rounds that actually outperform the SS190, and which are available for "civilian" sale and use.
    Not to nitpick but the Five Seven was known as a "cop killer" gun long before the Fort Hood shooting.

Didn't Elite ammunition just get raided because of some of their 5.7x28 offerings?

Also, wasn't there a law passed in 1986 that technically makes it illegal for an FFL to sell armor piercing pistol ammo?

Every time this subject gets brought up I get a headache. I still don't understand the legality of armor piecing pistol ammo.

(Bucks County)

It's time to SBR that PS90 dude!

(here's mine)

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast