Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: rifle transport

(Luzerne County)

Default rifle transport

my friend who is a PA resident tells me he goes to long island NY to shoot his ar with a bunch of his old time buddies from NY who dont have guns. I said to him he cant transport the rifle across state lines to a state where he cant have a gun. he says he can cause of the federal law which says you can transport a gun from point A to point B as long as they are locked up , separate ammo etc. is he right or wrong?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: rifle transport

Let him try.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Lancaster County)

Yeah, your friend might want to read up on FOPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm...Protection_Act

In particular the part about Safe Passage, if he gets caught in NY with that, he'll probably be there for an extended stay.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Your friend is sort of right. It is legal to transport a firearm from point A to point B through a state where it is not legal so long as it is legal both at point A and point B and you do not stop for an extended period of time (I wouldn't stop at all) in the state where it is not legal (at least, such is my understanding). But, since your friend is going to NY, his rifle better be NY compliant or else he's breaking the law.

ETA: Here is the relevant citation.
    Last edited by y0rlik; September 12th, 2011 at 10:35 PM.

(Luzerne County)

even if the rifle is NY compliant , i still think he cant because there is no reciprocity between PA and NY , so it would still be illegal for him to transport the rifle. right???? he is just not allowed to have the rifle under NY law, i would think.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hale View Post
    even if the rifle is NY compliant , i still think he cant because there is no reciprocity between PA and NY , so it would still be illegal for him to transport the rifle. right???? he is just not allowed to have the rifle under NY law, i would think.
    With exception of NYC, rifles aren't regulated in New York State. However any rifle brought into NYS has to meet their Assault Weapons provisions.

Reciprocity doesn't matter since this isn't a carrying or licensing issue. Its a possession issue. And, PA's LTCF really doesn't cover rifles - except in Philly and during emergencies.

For your friend to legal take his AR to NYS - it should be in a configuration that would be legal in NYS. ...like probably no flashhiders, no mags more than 10rds, no bayonet lug, etc, etc, etc. He would also have to transport it under NYS's guidelines.

If he is intending to go to NYC - he plain and simple cannot do it legally. It requires a permit to possess a rifle in NYC.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Does the 10 round mag rule apply? It sure does. I'd be careful. Trunk, unloaded, locked. If it was a handgun, that would be a different story.

EDIT: make sure your friend visits the ATF website, and bring some paper work just in case. OR it'll be a long night in the dungeon.
    Last edited by NinjaofTashy; September 13th, 2011 at 06:26 AM.