Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SensGard

(Bucks County)

Default SensGard

Hearing Protection

Daughter #1 wears corrective lenses...and then Safety glasses when shooting...and really hates when the muffs mash the arms of both pair of eyes behind her ears.

Has anybody used the ears linked above?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: SensGard

Here's what I use:

http://www.macksearplugs.com/details...Seals-Earplugs

Also keep these in the range bag for friends:

http://www.macksearplugs.com/details...-foam-earplugs

I don't like ear muffs. It's just more stuff touching my skin. Both those solutions dampen more DBs then muffs.

Just my opinion. I'm guessing my solutions won't work for a young child.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Northampton County)

I haven't used that brand.

You'll find that most ear plugs are designed for adults, not kids. Since the ear canals are smaller, it's often really difficult to get a good seal with the larger plugs.

Because I've been working live sound for years, I was already familiar with an audiologist. When my son started to learn how to shoot and was beginning to spend time at the range with me as well as attending concerts that I was working, I brought him to the audiologist to have custom made ear plugs(He couldn't stand the muffs smashing his ears and the safety glasses frames either). Yes, it will run you close to $100 for an appointment and the custom plugs, but IMHO it's worth it. The plugs ill need to be replaced every 1-2 years as the child grows, but again - worth it. Also, the plugs I get are available in any color or mix of colors you can imagine, which makes it a little more fun for the kids.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Delaware County)

I haven't used them at a range yet but i do own a pair, They aren't plugs in the traditiional sense ( more like hollow tubes)and there is very little in the way of canal penetration. The build quality seems kind of shoddy i'm not sure if i'll ever use them.

LOL, three replies and no one has answered your question. OK, here goes. Yes, I have them (the 31 NRR model) and I love them. I wear them, and only them, indoors or out. I love the fact that they don't "seal" against your head, exacerbating the temperature on a hot day or in non-A/C ranges, or pressing against your eyeglass temples

I also like the fact that you get no interference with cheek weld, when shooting long guns. They are light weight and comfortable to wear. They seem to reduce the intensity of the sound, rather than the volume. On initial wearing, you may think it is still pretty loud, but, as I said, the intensity is reduced. With a rating of 31 NRR (you won't find many muffs that have that kind of rating), and the ability to still hear start buzzers or carry on a conversation, I much prefer these to any muffs I've tried. Never dealt with earplugs, so can't offer a comparative opinion.

I am seeing more people wearing these at matches (IDPA & USPSA) where you have to wear ear protection for extended periods of time.

So, one vote for and three non-responsive replies.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member