Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S&W Performance Center 627, 8 shot, 5" barrel. Experiences? Opinions?

I recently posted a 'want to buy' ad for either a .357 Sig pistol or a double action revolver. I'd like to know more about this specific model. The S&W Performance Center 627, 8 shot, 5" model.

After consideration, I think I would rather have this (or a similar, think Colt Python or Anaconda) revolver than a .357 Sig pistol. I intend to carry this pistol at the range when I am working as an instructor and an RSO. So it will spend most of it's time in a good leather OWB holster. It will get drawn and shot quite a bit. I am under no illusions that this gun is going to get worn and messed up at least a little bit.

I know a few of you have one of these models and I would like to hear your take on them. Do you have a brand of ammo that shoots better than any other? How well does the stainless finish resist holster wear? Do you love or hate the brass bead front sight? What is a good price for used and new? Is there a break-in period like there is with a semi-auto? Where do you get good gunleather for this gun?

I am not normally that into revolvers and I have some, but not that much experience using them. From the pictures he has posted in other threads I know Steve has a few of the S&W 8 shot .357 pistols and I would like to hear from him. What, if anything, has been changed or upgraded since buying?

Being an instructor and RSO puts me in a good place to shoot a lot of different guns. (To see them shit the bed too, the reason I'm not interested in a Taurus wheelgun.) So, I'll see if I can shoot one the next time I'm at the range. I have shot two Pythons and loved them both. A 4" and a 6" model. I preferred the balance of the 6" model though. I lean towards revolvers with the hogue stippled rubber fingergroove grips, so before actually having shot one, I think I may well end up with the Perf. Center 627 before too much longer. Not that they can't be added to a Python...
    Last edited by SCBaldr; September 11th, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: S&W Performance Center 627, 8 shot, 5" barrel. Experiences? Opinions?

Nothing but great things with my 5" 627 PC. One of the best aspects is the 5" barrel - balances perfectly in my hands - far better than the 4" or 6" barrels on other S&W revolvers.

I've put several loads of 38 Special and 357 Magnum, including both new commercial stuff & reloads from Joe @ Catalano Ammo. It hasn't blinked at any of them from an accuracy standpoint - the cheapest 38 Special I had was *really really* dirty and would start to be hard to extract after 200+ rounds at the range. But it kept running, just a little bit more time/effort to unload.

I haven't changed anything yet - I like the gold-bead in a sunny day, but on very cloudy / towards twilight it's not the easiest thing to quickly pick up visually.

I went with the Desantis leather holster from S&W's website that had the thumb-retention strap. No complaints with it - took a bit of time to break it in and the leather to stop "squeaking" but it's fine now. I haven't had it long enough to even think about holster-related wear....check back in another year...

Bottom line - good looking, balances easily & naturally, accurate, reliable, accurate, and FUN!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: S&W Performance Center 627, 8 shot, 5" barrel. Experiences? Opinions?

I picked up a used 627-5 last year to upgrade my ICORE kit. 7 pound 4 ounce factory DA pull and smooth as glass. Reliable with Winchester and Federal primers, I haven't tried anything else. No idea what factory ammo would be like as I've never put any through it. I use a Safariland 002 holster, but that probably isn't what you're looking for. No upgrades were made. Moon clips are brass sensitive. If you want to run Federal or Remington brass, then the Hearthco clips are the way to go, but they are very expensive. I found it cheaper to buy 100 moons from Ranch Products for $75 delivered and swap over to Winchester brass. Here's picture of mine fresh from last year's ICORE East Coast Regional:

Default Re: S&W Performance Center 627, 8 shot, 5" barrel. Experiences? Opinions?

Thats an assload of moon clips. The trouble I see is gunleather. I prefer a thumbreak belt holster similar in design to a desantis thumbbreak scabbard or a galco cop 3 slot. Going to be hard to find one, or expensive to get one made.

(Delaware County)

you could get a used 686, spend almost half and find more holsters. that would be my choice for a range gun that will see alot of use. 627 cool either way.
    THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

(Allegheny County)

I have one and it's an awesome shooting revolver. Great trigger both SA/DA, smooth as glass. Balance is perfect and is very accurate as well. You will not be dissapointed.
    Today was a good day!

(Montgomery County)

I shoot my Smith and Wesson Performance Center 327 (model number, not to be confused with the cartridge) M&P R8 just about every time I go to the range. The 327 and 627 are very similar mechanically. There is a pedantic difference in materials and barrel construction (my 327 has a three piece barrel, which is superb I must say). I have had this revolver for a couple of years now and have put about 8-10 thousand rounds through it. Here is a picture of the the first four shot group I shot with it:

4 shots at 10 meters. I was shooting the 130 grain FMJ .38 special standard pressure loads, which shoot just a tad low. 158 grainers shoot dead on for me and I refuse to adjust the sights between cases of ammo.

As far as modifications go, there was nothing to do except change the grips. The performance center guns and even the Pro Series for that matter require almost nothing as shooters. I switched the rubber grips (I cannot stand finger grooves) for wood Jerry Miculek grips. I would add a tritium front sight if I carried this beauty for defense, but I do not.

There was no break in period for any of my Smith revolvers, just clean and shoot... and shoot some more. I do not spend much time cleaning and my R8 is absolutely filthy right now. As for holsters, I have a handful of these:

http://www.simplyrugged.com/

The sourdough pancake by Simply Rugged. They are very reasonable (about 65 bucks) and made to order for your gun. This holster is very very secure, the revolver will not fall out even if you are a longshoreman working upside down 23 hours a day while practicing yoga.

One of the advantages of the 627 Pro is the interchangeable front sight set up. My R8 and 327 JM have the same set up, no tools are needed to change the front sight. A great system to suit the role you need it for.

I would stay away from the Python as a working/shooting revolver. They have not been made for an extended period of time and parts come at a premium. Furthermore, they are very costly on the market due to their collectors. A good Smith and Wesson would most likely serve you better, cost less and with that lifetime warranty (they will fix just about anything) how could you go wrong.

If you want SC, you can shoot my 327 R8 at Classic Pistol next weekend or the weekend after. Coordinate with my via PM and we can do some shooting at Bob's place.

Did I answer all of your questions???
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    Thats an assload of moon clips. The trouble I see is gunleather. I prefer a thumbreak belt holster similar in design to a desantis thumbbreak scabbard or a galco cop 3 slot. Going to be hard to find one, or expensive to get one made.
    I like to load the match at home and chamber check them before I go. 100 seems like a lot, but they bend easily in use (dropping to the ground, getting stepped on, etc.) and you'll soon find yourself ordering 100 more if you use the gun in competition. At a bench where you baby everything, 10 moons would last a long time.

The barrel contour is such that any full lug N frame holster should fit.

That just about answers everything. The dimensions of the DeSantis thumb break scabbard for a 629 seem to be close enough for a good fit. So I think I'll go that route first.

How does $990 brand new sound plus a $35 transfer? Sound like a good price or would I be overpaying?

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: S&W Performance Center 627, 8 shot, 5" barrel. Experiences? Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    How does $990 brand new sound plus a $35 transfer? Sound like a good price or would I be overpaying?
    Don't know if that includes your shipping - you could shave a few bucks off the price....and possibly more importantly, they have flat shipping of 5.99 (plus no CC fees):

http://grabagun.com/handguns/revolve...ag-5-8sht.html

But either way, thumbs up - good deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast