Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fal Help

(Westmoreland County)

Default Fal Help

I have a century g1 fal, it is not the unibrow receiver, so i know that's not the issue. i have one mag that feeds perfectly fine every time and then one mag that has a ftf every 3 or 4 rounds and one mag that might feed the whole mag once, but then it will ftf every 3-4 rounds just like the other. is this a mag problem or a problem with the gun? any ideas of how to fix it

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Fal Help

seems to me if you have 1 mag that works all the time and the others do not it is probably a mag issue. keep in mind most of the mags on the market are surplus, anything from slightly used to well abused. not to mention also could be from different manufacturers. keep in mind this weapon system was used and made all over so quality will vary on mags. try dsa for several new usa made mags, see what kind of results you get with those.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Deuce View Post
    I have a century g1 fal, it is not the unibrow receiver, so i know that's not the issue. i have one mag that feeds perfectly fine every time and then one mag that has a ftf every 3 or 4 rounds and one mag that might feed the whole mag once, but then it will ftf every 3-4 rounds just like the other. is this a mag problem or a problem with the gun? any ideas of how to fix it
    You could have a couple of different issues going on.

1. Take a look at the "lips" of the mag that feeds good, and compare it to the ones that don't. If they are bent, have a dent, a burr or are rough, that could be causing your issue.

2. Disassemble and clean the magazines. Slide off the floorplate, and the spring and follower will come out. If these are surplus, you might be suprised at how much dirt there is in there. Even if they are "new" they may have dried up grease. I like to clean them out and give them a good wipedown with something like CLP. I have noted vast improvements with magazine function with a good cleaning.

3. There is a possibility you may not have enough gas. Close off the gas port one click or two, if your bolt carrier is not recoiling back far enough EVERY time it could be failing to strip a round. I also keep the slots the carrier rides in slick with lube.

Good luck.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Lehigh County)

i have attached a pdf from the fal file board. it is fal-failure to feed problems. maybe this will help you. also read the following website. very good info fo mods on your rail if it does not feed.

http://community-1.webtv.net/ggiilli...IILLIIEESRAIL/
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Westmoreland County)

thanks a lot for the help guys, i shot the gun today and 2 of my 3 mags cycle great but the one is still giving me problems. it seems like i might need to get a new spring or a whole new mag. another question, is there anywhere i could find info on gas adjustment? when i was shooting today i had it set on 1 and the extractor was ripping a chunk out of the rim of the brass, but it was ejecting reliably. is 1 wide open and 7 is closed?

(Lehigh County)

here's another pdf on how to tune your gas system. it is the steps i use on everyone of my FAL builds.
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Westmoreland County)

thank you very much, one last question, how is the charging handle held on? mine is on there pretty loose and im afraid it will fall off

(Lehigh County)

if you mean the knob (non folding) it is a button rivet that goes through the knob to attach it to the slide. the whole assembly is held on with a cocking handle t-nut with a roll pin. Apex has replacement handles for about $25. they also have the t-nut. you can get new rivets, but they are very hard to find. sometimes they show up on the fal files or gunbroker. if you want to try to tighten it up, remove the pin, pull out the t-nut, slide the assembly backwards out of the slot, turn it over, you will see the rivet. place a socket in the knob part for support and give it a little tap on the other end.

(Westmoreland County)

im referring to the actual knob, it comes off really easily and i don't want to lose it, the rest of the charging handle assembly is fine

(Lehigh County)

if the knob comes off, replace the whole assembly, like i stated before, they have replacements at Apex, below is the link to it. I did a quick search and could not find any of the rivets you would need to fix it. (If anyone finds any, I need a few)

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/1710

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast