Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Looking for some help to improve my shooting

What is your distance to that Target ?

Do you own a shot timer ?

I'll toss two bits out there :
    Watch that finger that seems to be sometimes in front of the trigger guard . First you want sine consistentcy in your grip , secondly if you decide you want it there watch for pulling the gun left and right as your support hand grip tenses and relaxes .

Second . A exaggerated reset like that is good for learning the trigger and high concentration shots but you need to learn to reset DURING recoil , not after , and uf your not careful unlearning that exaggerated reset will be tough . I know .

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    What is your distance to that Target ?

Do you own a shot timer ?

I'll toss two bits out there :
    Watch that finger that seems to be sometimes in front of the trigger guard . First you want sine consistentcy in your grip , secondly if you decide you want it there watch for pulling the gun left and right as your support hand grip tenses and relaxes .

Second . A exaggerated reset like that is good for learning the trigger and high concentration shots but you need to learn to reset DURING recoil , not after , and uf your not careful unlearning that exaggerated reset will be tough . I know .
    Distance is about 10 yards (next time it will be closer, between 5-7).

I don't own a shot timer but have been looking into purchasing one. I was looking at the CED7000 but am open to suggestions if you recommend something else?

I didn't realize my finger was winding up infront of the trigger guard while shooting. I noticed it while reviewing the video later. I don't especially want it there, it just has a way of winding up there. It is something I want to address.

I exaggerated the reset because I'm still learning where it is. There were a couple times when I tried to guess and wound up not letting the trigger out far enough. I don't know if it makes sense, but the reset on my M&P doesn't feel hard and defined. It sort of eases into reset and if I move to fast, at this point, I sometimes miss it (which is why my finger was leaving the face of the trigger before).

Thanks for the feedback

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by wwhite72082 View Post
    Distance is about 10 yards (next time it will be closer, between 5-7).

I don't own a shot timer but have been looking into purchasing one. I was looking at the CED7000 but am open to suggestions if you recommend something else?
    I prefer the Pact Club timer, but the CED is solid and will work fine for you.

I didn't realize my finger was winding up infront of the trigger guard while shooting. I noticed it while reviewing the video later. I don't especially want it there, it just has a way of winding up there. It is something I want to address.
    Your grip also breaks apart with each shot, and you regrip between shots. That needs fixing, too.

I exaggerated the reset because I'm still learning where it is. There were a couple times when I tried to guess and wound up not letting the trigger out far enough. I don't know if it makes sense, but the reset on my M&P doesn't feel hard and defined. It sort of eases into reset and if I move to fast, at this point, I sometimes miss it (which is why my finger was leaving the face of the trigger before).

Thanks for the feedback
    That's why Apex is making a killing, and why others just dump their M&P's and go back to Glocks... I did.

Time for an update dude, what aspects of your technique have you improved upon since your last video was posted? Post up another!

Good on 'ya for taking the interest in getting better, and being receptive to feedback! [clapping] More people would be better shooters if they had the same attitude and drive.

(Lancaster County)

Can you recommend any classes in the Harrisburg Area (or even better, farther east)?
    We are right in your back yard and have some upcoming classes that would be in line with your goals. Here is an upcoming event: https://events.membersolutions.com/e...ntent_id=28221

PSA is less than an hour down 422 from you, we would love to train with you.

Phill
    "When Knowledge Counts and Experience Matters"

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I prefer the Pact Club timer, but the CED is solid and will work fine for you.

Your grip also breaks apart with each shot, and you regrip between shots. That needs fixing, too.

That's why Apex is making a killing, and why others just dump their M&P's and go back to Glocks... I did.

Time for an update dude, what aspects of your technique have you improved upon since your last video was posted? Post up another!

Good on 'ya for taking the interest in getting better, and being receptive to feedback! [clapping] More people would be better shooters if they had the same attitude and drive.

I didn't make it to the range last weekend (I got some threads mixed up and thought a local informal match was cancelled). I've since been in touch with an instructor and will be doing some shooting on Sunday with him. I'm really looking forward to it and can't wait to get some one on one instruction.

I've been working on the reset more than anything. I'll spend a few minutes here and there racking the slide, with the trigger depressed, and practicing resetting the trigger. I'm starting to get the hang of it but I am a long way from completely resetting the trigger during recoil.

I've also done a little dry fire practice, drawing from a holster. I wasn't working on speed but instead trying to develop a muscle memory to add an extra step to my draw (Step 3 in this article).

I think I might take my camera along on Sunday and try to record the shooting portion of the instruction. I like having a visual of my shooting to look back on.

In addition, I've been talking to a friend of mine with a lot of training experience. He suggested taking a class by Thomas Kelly. Sounds like it would be very beneficial but I'm having trouble finding 3 other people to take the class (4 student minimum). I've got 2 people with a "maybe". If I can't get a couple of friends to commit to the class, maybe I'll try to get some details together and post something to see if anyone here would be interested.
    Last edited by wwhite72082; September 23rd, 2011 at 06:32 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Direct Action Tactical View Post
    We are right in your back yard and have some upcoming classes that would be in line with your goals. Here is an upcoming event: https://events.membersolutions.com/e...ntent_id=28221

PSA is less than an hour down 422 from you, we would love to train with you.

Phill
    I'll keep you in mind for training. Thanks for the information.

(Berks County)

I went down to Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club today to shoot the October USPSA Match. I had a great time and met some very nice people and hope to shoot at the club again.

Stage 3:
    Our squad started on Stage 3, which is why this is out of order. I did very well on this stage in terms of accuracy and cleared it (All shots were in the A Zones). I was moving a bit too slow and a couple of people told me that based on my accuracy on this stage, I should have been able to shoot it much faster than I did.

wwhite72082, on Flickr

Stage 4 and 5:
    Stage 4 and 5 were in the same pit. I didn't do terrible on stage 4 but I did have a little trouble with one piece of steel and I scored a few C's in an attempt to speed things up. Stage 5 was the classifier and while my time was pretty good (or so I thought) my accuracy suffered.

wwhite72082, on Flickr

Stage 6:
    This stage was pretty fun even though I struggled with the Texas Star. The shooting lane was pretty muddy and I was worried about slipping so I treaded gingerly. The later portion of the stage I started firing my second shot too fast and wound up with a miss and a D.

wwhite72082, on Flickr

Stage 1:
    I tanked this stage. I think I underestimated it and didn't concentrate enough on my game plan. I wound up failing to engage two targets, everything else was pretty good.

wwhite72082, on Flickr

Stage 2:
    In an effort to recover from my botched 1st Stage, I went over the game plan for this stage over and over again. It paid off and I wound up shooting it very well. My shots were decent but I was mostly happy with how well I executed my plan.

wwhite72082, on Flickr

Video from Today

I need to work on dry-fire practice some more to train myself to reload in the box. Watching the video I cringe evertime I go to slide-lock and lower the gun to perform a reload. I also need to slow down on my second shot to make sure it is placed better. Far too often the first shot was good but the second was poor.

Again, I had a great time and look forward to shooting my next match. This was the second one I shot and think I did pretty well overall. I'm not sure when the scores will be posted, but when they are I'll include them here. Next time I also want to snap a photo of the stage description to include with the video.

(Chester County)

Your hands are still coming apart in recoil... you can see your gun hand move with the pistol, and your left hand stay in place. This separation will kill your accuracy and splits, as you'll have different pressure on the gun and won't have the consistency in control that you need to have consistency in your performance.

(Berks County)

This is the best thread I've read on this forum. The OP is sincerely asking for help and the responses are genuine attempts to help. No chest pounding, no profanity needed to make a point. Just a sincere desire to improve and an as sincere effort to assist.

I sure hope this is a preview of future threads! It is a real joy to read and the anti gunners would have difficulty finding anything to aid their cause!

Cudos to all involved in this thread!!!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Your hands are still coming apart in recoil... you can see your gun hand move with the pistol, and your left hand stay in place. This separation will kill your accuracy and splits, as you'll have different pressure on the gun and won't have the consistency in control that you need to have consistency in your performance.
    When I saw your comment I thought back to the match and I didn't remember my support hand coming off of the gun, or needing to re-grip. I just went back and watched the video again, sure enough, my support hand is too high and there is space between my palm and the grip. It seems like the further I get into the stage, the higher it creeps up. I don't know if it is actually happening in recoil or I just keep sliding it up high and higher every time I raise the gun to engage a target.

I came across a dry-fire routine on Pistol-Training.com a few weeks ago. It is a month long routine and I think I'm going to start it tomorrow. I've got to practice that poor grip out of my routine and start gripping the gun lower to make more contact.

Thanks for catching that, I overlooked it when I was putting that video together.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast