Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default CC Motorcycle Trip from PA to Deal's Gap

I'm taking a motorcycle trip down to Deal's Gap and will be passing through the following States:

Maryland (unarmed)
    West VA (armed)
    Virginia (armed)
    Tennessee (armed)
    North Carolina (armed)

I'll only carry conceal and I have reciprocity with each state above except Maryland. I'll keep the firearm and mags separate through Maryland. Going over the laws I'm unable to find anything related to carry on a bike and the only thing is the normal restrictions I'm use to in PA with the addition of limitations in places that serve alcohol. So I'll carry with the exception of bars, but is there anything else to keep in mind during this ride?
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Chester County)

Default Re: CC Motorcycle Trip from PA to Deal's Gap

Check out this- http://www.handgunlaw.us/ (click on the state you are looking for info on)

Keep in mind, some states have a duty to inform, others may have laws about State Park carry. The above link will give you a general idea, but I guess you shouldn't rely on it 100%.

The tail of the dragon is one crazy ride. We did it last year. Be safe, have a blast, and watch for Johnny Law. THP is all over the dragon.
    Last edited by smithwessn; September 8th, 2011 at 07:38 AM.

(Pike County)

You could ride west and go though WV and avoid the anti gun state of Maryland completely.

Thanks, forgot about the Duty to Inform laws. I'll look that up.

Unfortunately I need to take the most direct route to keep the trip length down.

NC has Duty to Inform as well as lots of restrictions on carry. No-go in any place that serves alcohol or any place that charges for admission.

Can't drink while carrying in TN, and you'll probably see quite a few no-guns signs.

(Franklin County)

I recommend, if possible, you head down I-81 through Maryland...and obey the speed laws. It's the shortest distance through Maryland (on a major route). Try to spend as little time there as possible. In fact, don't even stop there...there's plenty of food and fuel in Martinsburg WV. And plenty before in Chambersburg PA. Just my $.02.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you.

(Columbia County)

I just made the trip down to Deals Gap and back last month on my bike. How much time have you allotted yourself? I tried to do it with too tight of a time schedule and spent the whole time on the highway it seemed. I also had to stop and help my buddy move, but I did 1700 miles in under 48 hours. It was quite miserable by the end. I definitely wish I would have planned to stay the night at the Deals Gap resort and had a full day to ride the dragon.

Anyhow, I carried on the trip. I just stopped at the last exit before MD, unloaded my gun and put it in my locked tail section and separated the ammo into my backpack. From what I've read, as long as the ammo is separated and the gun is locked, you're okay just passing through MD. I kept the mags with the gun, unloaded. I did this just in case the laws might actually consider a loaded magazine to be a loaded weapon. I printed out the laws from handgunlaws.us for each state I was going to be traveling in. Make sure to know where you can and can't carry. NC and TN, I believe, both have restictions on carrying into establishments that serve alcohol to be consumed on premises. That even means family restaurants like Applebees. NC actually has a TON of restrictions on where you can carry.

Good luck and have fun. I definitely plan on making that trip again. Oh, and if you haven't done many long bike trips before, don't wear a backpack. It wears on you over time. If you take one, strap it to the bike. You'll have a much better ride that way.

We're taking 81 down. I'll have a day and a half to play at and around Deal's Gap. I'm leaving one evening for VA to crash for the night, then into Deal's Gap for a half day of riding. The following day we'll explore other roads around that area. The trip back might be rough, a one way shot home (700 miles).

I guess the best thing would be to print out the law sheets from each state to have for reference while on the trip. That and the reciprocity agreements. The alcohol restrictions have me concerned though, considering the group I'm going with I might have to leave it at our motel and go unarmed (not sure if I'm comfortable with leaving a firearm in a motel).

(Chester County)

Riding he dragon is a no-brainer, but don't give it all of your ride time. Make the ride out to Fontana Dam, and explore the entire area. There isn't a bad road down there that we came across. Beautiful area to ride. Don't forget your camera.

Instead of leaving your gun in the room, could you lock it in your tail section? Look into the law and see if guns are prohibited just inside the establishment, or if the property is off limits all together. Just something to consider. At least you may be able to keep an eye on your bike from inside.

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    NC and TN, I believe, both have restictions on carrying into establishments that serve alcohol to be consumed on premises. That even means family restaurants like Applebees. NC actually has a TON of restrictions on where you can carry.
    I agree on NC -- horrible carry restrictions. In TN you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as it's not posted and you don't drink. They passed a law to legalize it a couple of years ago, a judge overturned it, and than they passed another version (over the governor's veto) last year.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast