Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question Want to pose a question on training?

Is it good to stress yourself up for training , or would it be better to try to be calm and smooth. It seems most LE and military training and some civilian training tries to get you into hightened stress to simulate the stress of combat or defensive situtions , could that be counter productive? Your body automaticaly raises it's own stress and fight or flight adrenaline , wouldn't you want to train as clam as possible to reduce the natural effects? I feel if you were calmer during training , then under duress you would be able to preform better and make better choices during stressful situtions. Not saying I am the end all be all guru on anything , just looking for feedack and a discussion on this.

Default Re: Want to pose a question on training?

Excellent point and thats why many schools require you to have completed Step 1 before going to 2 and 2 before 3 etc...

When you arrive to do the stress training, all the other stuff should have arleady been done.

But yes, you are correct, slow, calm, non-stress first and build from there.

I call it the Crawl, Walk, then Run ideology.

CL

(Allegheny County)

thats a pretty vauge question.

First, we have to define the "wehn" and "what kind" of stress.

If your a brand new shooter, or someone taking their first course then there should be a clam stress free enviroment where one can learn fundamentals properly and with focus IMO.

Later, once one can handle the marksmanship and gun handling to a fair level light stressors like a timer, peer pressure, and competition can come inot play.

Even later still we can start to talk about ineractive shoot houses, paper targets that talk back, no walk throughs, ect. Even just that will spin your head.

Even later there is force on force training, live action role players with marking guns, and then further down the rabbit hole there are all kinds of "training modifiers" that can come into play. Pain, physical exertion, darkness, and so on.

so, the answer seems to be a strong "maybe, some times, at some point, at varried levels depending on the student and the goal of the training."

I agree with Shawn L, however you also have to look at the individual as well. Some people I have crossed paths with are cool, calculated and smoothe no matter what situation they are in. Others have brought their own stress and chaos (for lack of a better term) on themselves no matter if it is their first or 1000th time doing something. Both types bring their own strong and weak points to the table, and you can learn from both. Different strokes for different folks, everybody has a way of learning.

(Pike County)

Agree with the posters above. Basic, that should be embedded to the level of reflexes should be learned in stress free environment, so the student will be able to focus on proper technique.
    Je suis déplorable

(Berks County)

I'm sorry let me clairify , even with the outside stressors do you think you should try to be in an almost zen like state when even doing high level training rather then jacking yourself up on adreniline? You fight how you train.

(Armstrong County)

"Slow is Smoothe, Smoothe is Fast".......Notice, the "Slow" part comes first...There's a reason for that.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huskyoverlord View Post
    I'm sorry let me clairify , even with the outside stressors do you think you should try to be in an almost zen like state when even doing high level training rather then jacking yourself up on adreniline? You fight how you train.
    Have you taken any training courses yet ?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Have you taken any training courses yet ?
    Why train when you just can compete and have fun , never took any formal training in shooting besides some NRA firearms courses but no high speed shit.

This is SORT of on topic. I will have to find the author's name, but I was at a seminar given by the author. He wrote a book on "mind set" if you will. The book was full of mental exercises that helped you perform better under stress. You know all of those ladies who use the stepper, treadmill, etc...and read Cosmo at the same time? They are exercising their brains to perform well while their bodies are physically stressed. I have been known to work on reloads while walking on the treadmill at home. Just some food for thought.

That said, I KNOW there is a difference between physical exertion and real mental stress. Like Shawn L said, that can be accomplished in many ways. Can we REALLY train under the same stress that we may encounter in a life or death situation? No, the training "risk" would outweigh any benefit gained from it, but situations like Shawn mentioned ARE safe and ARE befeficial in my opinion.

Jules

Jules

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast