Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: youth lessons

(Bucks County)

Default youth lessons

Hi. Complete newbie in regards to guns and shooting. Recently, my ten year old son was introduced to target shooting with a rifle at a poconos resort. He was hooked. Now he watches "Top Shot" regularly. Very athletic and responsible. What are my options if I want to encourage what seems to be a very natural talent? We live in the Newtown area. Any local places that offer junior classes or even private lessons?
    Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: youth lessons

Quote Originally Posted by marcos1 View Post
    Hi. Complete newbie in regards to guns and shooting. Recently, my ten year old son was introduced to target shooting with a rifle at a poconos resort. He was hooked. Now he watches "Top Shot" regularly. Very athletic and responsible. What are my options if I want to encourage what seems to be a very natural talent? We live in the Newtown area. Any local places that offer junior classes or even private lessons?
    Thanks
    He's what - a Webelos II now? Doesn't your District's Cub Scout Day Camp offer a BB gun range? My oldest is also a Webelos II - he's been shooting since he was a Tiger Cub, 4 years ago.

When he crosses over to the Boy Scouts in the spring, he'll be shooting .22LR at Resident Camp, and can shoot skeet for his Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge, to compliment his Rifle Shooting Merit Badge as well.

I realize Cradle of Liberty Council gets a lot of black eyes from Philthy press, but I'd be very surprised if their Cub Day Camps didn't offer BB guns. Check your council newsletter as well, for other shooting camps/weekends throughout the year (especially in the fall, as it's new recruitment time).

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: youth lessons

Ditto on the Scouts, but it would be Bucks County Council instead of Cradle of Liberty for the OP. My son was a counselor at Camp Kirby (the Bucks County Council summer camp for Cubs/Webelos) and I can confirm they do indeed offer BB shooting and archery. Once your boy crosses over into Boy Scouts, if you camp at Ockanickon, they have a nice range, and offer Rifle Shooting and Shotgun Shooting merit badges during summer camp (plus recreational shooting for those boys not taking the badges). The other summer camps that most Bucks County troops go to (Resica Falls, Goose Pond, Rodney, etc.) also have shooting ranges and good shooting programs. Our troop also does a trip every spring to Wicen's Range for recreational shooting. OP, Wicen's is a nice outdoor range near Furlong. You might want to call them (215-598-3534, ww.wicenshootingrange.com) to see what they offer regarding training; I know they have the usual range of NRA classes but not sure about individual instruction. Mike Wolfe or Joe Wicen would be the guys to ask for. A little further afield, Clayton's on Route 611 in Horsham has a nice indoor 20-yard range and have been starting classes. Call 215-672-6060, the range manager is Ed (sorry, cant recall the last name), the owner is Tom Clayton.

(Bucks County)

thnks for the replies, I will look into those options....

(Bucks County)

Classic Pistol in Southampton. Call and arrange a private lesson with John Ricco. He is one of the best.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Bucks County)

Get that boy [and yourself] to an appleseed shoot!

http://appleseedinfo.org/

loads of fun.