Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Target World (Chalfont) - bad info (IMO) and interesting insurance situation

I like the fact that it's safety conscious. The guys can be a little cold at first but I think it's the best range in the area.

Default Re: Target World (Chalfont) - bad info (IMO) and interesting insurance situation

These thoughts are merely my own:

If it were my business, and I had a written policy of "new shooters must qualify on a .22 under supervision of a RSO", and someone had just spent money to buy a new hand gun from me, I'd gift the .22 rental fee, but not the box of ammo. I'd probably also unofficially tell the clock keepers to not really count the time they're using the .22.

I'm not a range/store owner though, so I'm probably considered woefully wrong in my opinions. Interestingly I don't really visit gun shops with ranges, kind of for that reason.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Montgomery County)

I’ve shot at a number of local or semi-local indoor public ranges over the years. Was a member of Target World back in the late 80’s and early 90’s and shot there once a week. Been to Clayton’s (never again), Classic Pistol, and Targetmaster, and probably a couple others whose names I can’t recall. I’ve experienced employees with bad attitudes, either personally or interacting with other customers, at every one of them at one time or another.

Don’t get me wrong. Most range employees are great, but there’s always that one guy. I understand safety is everyone’s first priority (I’m an NRA instructor and CRSO and have been shooting since most of them were just a twinkle in their daddy’s eye) but there’s a way to teach safety without being a dick!

Public ranges get a lot of new shooters, and we all need to be friendly and encouraging. Among other reasons, more shooters equals more 2A proponents to vote anti-gun politicians out of office. Going to a range can be extremely intimidating for a beginner. They need to feel welcome....and hard ass Tactical Timmy with a shitty attitude behind the counter isn’t welcoming. Ranges need more female employees. (Except my wife. She’s mean.)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FBG001 View Post
    Don’t get me wrong. Most range employees are great, but there’s always that one guy. I understand safety is everyone’s first priority (I’m an NRA instructor and CRSO and have been shooting since most of them were just a twinkle in their daddy’s eye) but there’s a way to teach safety without being a dick!

Public ranges get a lot of new shooters, and we all need to be friendly and encouraging. Among other reasons, more shooters equals more 2A proponents to vote anti-gun politicians out of office. Going to a range can be extremely intimidating for a beginner. They need to feel welcome....and hard ass Tactical Timmy with a shitty attitude behind the counter isn’t welcoming. Ranges need more female employees. (Except my wife. She’s mean.)
    That's a great way to put it

(Montgomery County)

I’ve been going to TW for several years now. The RSOs were tough and kept an eye on me when I first started. None were ever mean or condescending. If I did something “unsafe” the politely told me what I was doing wrong and how to avoid doing it. Once they know you and see you’re shooting in a safe and responsible manner (it doesn’t take long) they warm up. But after all the time I’ve been going there, I’ve never seen any RSO be a “dick”.

(Montgomery County)

I have no problem at all with how they run their range it's their business. Went through the sight thing and the "lecture' now I've been there a bunch of times I find they're great guys and I greatly enjoy shooting there. I don't know any better way to sort the people out and yes it sucks going through the beginning at my age (70). But now that it's in the past I really enjoy shooting there and would recommend it to anyone, thanks Bill

(Bucks County)

No issues at all with Classic Pistol, decent employees, clean range and not to pricey for the occasional shooter. It's also 5 minutes from the abode, so excuse my bias.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Montgomery County)

I think what it many times comes down to is your personal preference. TW is about 13 miles from me' I wanted to shoot my handguns this winter and it was my choice to go there on my own I knew no one there and read some poor reviews here but it's the internet so I went. I don't really care for indoor ranges as I'd rather shoot bottles or rats at a dump all things now over. But I went and yes most of the reviews were close to reality. Draw the sights, shine a pistol with light on the wall I almost left after the lecture since I didn't take the gun flashlight test serious. But I stayed and went back twice a week for a while I don't know what I would do if I was in their shoes guns are safe, people not so much. The guys that run the range are good guys it turns out they just try to keep people safe in a world full of a lot of people that haven't a clue. There's no way to look at someone (well other then the sandals) and tell if they know what their doing. My thoughts on TW is go keep an open mind and if it's not your cup of tea don't go back. Me I'll be there twice a week as time permits until it gets warm enough to shoot outside and not sink in the mud. Thanks Bill

(Montgomery County)

It's their range, they can do what they want.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    I think with the bad rap they have most good, knowledgeable shooters don't go there. Or at least more than once. That would mean the bulk of their shooters are newbe's. Or at least questionable shooters.

I think that would feed them feeling none of us know what we are doing. And it would make them even more restrictive. Sort of a self destructive circle.
    I took my wife (1st time shooter) to Clayton's in Horsham. Instructor spent over an hour covering basics then some range time with my glock. I continue to go back there for range practice. Glad I didn't choose Target World. Also, King Shooter's Supply in King of Prussia is proceeding with an indoor range. I was told it could be as soon as late this fall.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast