Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explosions

Default Explosions

If you don't know about Star targets, I would recommend them as they are legal to own and shoot. Basically its a mixture of two stable chemicals but once hit by a high speed bullet things get explosive. Enjoy the video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP5kSpnZ9zY

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Explosions

Just another ripoff of Tannerite....the original maker of the binary powder explosive targets made by Dan Tanner
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    Just another ripoff of Tannerite....the original maker of the binary powder explosive targets made by Dan Tanner
    Which is just stabilized flash powder...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    Which is just stabilized flash powder...
    actually, not at all. its an ammonium nitrate based compound that uses a catalyst to sensitize it for impact detonation.

Dan set the mix up for about a 500ftlb impact kaboom.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    actually, not at all. its an ammonium nitrate based compound that uses a catalyst to sensitize it for impact detonation.

Dan set the mix up for about a 500ftlb impact kaboom.
    Calling Tannerite "ammonium nitrate based" is like calling a kitchen match "wood based". Wood may be the primary ingredient and fuel, but it's not what makes it a match.
    Ammonium Nitrate is an explosive filler in Tannerite. The active components (and what makes it senstive to bullets) are aluminum and ammonium perchlorate, aluminum and almost any perchlorate (potassium is common for stability) in powdered form is flash powder.

(Washington County)

Calling Tannerite "ammonium nitrate based" is like calling a kitchen match "wood based". Wood may be the primary ingredient and fuel, but it's not what makes it a match.
    Ammonium Nitrate is an explosive filler in Tannerite. The active components (and what makes it senstive to bullets) are aluminum and ammonium perchlorate, aluminum and almost any perchlorate (potassium is common for stability) in powdered form is flash powder.
    Well put, are you EOD by chance?
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

I did not know it was so technical. I just wanted to blow stuff up.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Waverip11 View Post
    I did not know it was so technical. I just wanted to blow stuff up.
    +1

Since you have only 60 posts here I will let you in on a little secret; almost everything on these forums gets technical, even the smallest of things. Not always a bad thing. You learn quite a bit even if some are pedantic (yes I do believe I correctly used the term pedantic as well lol).
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Montgomery County)

so since 99.5% of the mix is ammonium nitrate based powder(the actual explosive), and .5% is the "flash powder"(detonation initiator) then Tannerite is "just stabilized flash powder"?

thats like saying a 1lb block of C4 with a detonator on it is "just a blasting cap"

the one doesn't do a helluva lot without the other

(Franklin County)

This is actually legal? I heard about it but never got around to checking how to get the stuff. Anyone know where to get this stuff?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast