Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Actually moving.. well kind of..

here is my situation...

My NJ apartment lease just ran out.. so I am moving my residence to my families NJ house.. and "living there" till I can get established in PA...

after I move my stuff into the NJ house.. I am packing and going to PA to stay for 5-6 months to get established.. get a job.. and all that.. so I need to fully understand PA laws..

* are there ANY "prohibited weapons" (dagers? black jacks? brass knuckles? etc..) now I am not talking about walking around with this stuff.. but just in the home.. like in a case...

* are there any ammo regulations I should know about?

* any restrictions on civilian owned body armor.. I currently have 2 safariland vests..

* I currently have a FL ccw permit.. and I know that will allow me to ccw and PA law already allows for open carry...

I know that I can not get a PA LTCF until I am an official PA resident.. but since I can carry on the FL permit I am not too concerned with that.. is there anything I am missing?

thanks in advance for any feedback!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Actually moving.. well kind of..

Quote Originally Posted by vladtepes View Post
    here is my situation...

* are there ANY "prohibited weapons" (dagers? black jacks? brass knuckles? etc..) now I am not talking about walking around with this stuff.. but just in the home.. like in a case...

* are there any ammo regulations I should know about?

* any restrictions on civilian owned body armor.. I currently have 2 safariland vests..

* I currently have a FL ccw permit.. and I know that will allow me to ccw and PA law already allows for open carry...

I know that I can not get a PA LTCF until I am an official PA resident.. but since I can carry on the FL permit I am not too concerned with that.. is there anything I am missing?

thanks in advance for any feedback!
    No restrictions on ammo or body armor to my knowledge as long as you aren't committing a crime with it

FL will allow you to CC, vehicle travel and OC is legal without any license outside of Phila.
    Your FL license will allow CC, OC and vehicle travel in Phila. Be aware though, Phila has passed an illegal and unenforceable law that doesn't recognize your FL license.

You can certainly apply for a non-resident PA LTCF if you have a license/permit from your home state. Being from NJ though...

You can't go within 1000 feet of school zones while armed unless you possess a PA LTCF in PA. If there is a state of emergency issued, I believe you can't carry in PA on the FL permit.

lol Welcome!
    Last edited by BimmerJon; September 3rd, 2011 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    No restrictions on ammo or body armor to my knowledge as long as you aren't committing a crime with it

FL will allow you to CC, vehicle travel and OC is legal without any license outside of Phila.
    Your FL license will allow CC, OC and vehicle travel in Phila. Be aware though, Phila has passed an illegal and unenforceable law that doesn't recognize your FL license.

You can certainly apply for a non-resident PA LTCF if you have a license/permit from your home state. Being from NJ though...

You can't go within 1000 feet of school zones while armed unless you possess a PA LTCF in PA. If there is a state of emergency issued, I believe you can't carry in PA on the FL permit.

lol Welcome!

with you in every regard but one.. the 1000 feet of a school zone.. I most certainly wont be walking into any schools armed.. but if I am merely driving down the street I have to avoid school zones completely?

(Northampton County)

with you in every regard but one.. the 1000 feet of a school zone.. I most certainly wont be walking into any schools armed.. but if I am merely driving down the street I have to avoid school zones completely?
    Under Federal law, technically, YES. For you, in every state except Florida. You must have a license issued by the state the school is in.

(Delaware County)

You can't bring a firearm INTO a school zone (property) no matter what permit/license you have. There are some exceptions listed in the statute, but most people don't meet any of them. There is a clause also "for other lawful purposes", but no one has tested it to see WTF it means... lol

The 1000' law is Federal and means 1000' from the perimeter of a school property. There has been some debate if that would also apply to driving on a public street that passes through the zone. I forget the outcome, but there are a bunch of threads on it.

Get your PA LTCF ASAP so you don't have to worry about driving around these imaginary 1000' foot bubbles of "safety"

OK I will be mindful of the imaginary boundary until I get an actual PA LTCF...

I guess it is as simple as looking for "school zone" and driving around it...

thanks to all.. hopefully I can start over in PA.. and within 5 or 6 months actually call it home!

(Delaware County)

thanks to all.. hopefully I can start over in PA.. and within 5 or 6 months actually call it home!
    Try not to get pulled over and if you do, remember there is no duty to inform in PA.

(Northampton County)

It applies to you in NJ as well.

There are generally no signs. You probably drive within 1000 feet of school properties for schools you don't even know exist every day. Break out a map and try to plan a route, you'll get screwed at several points in any urban or suburban area.

(Montgomery County)

Federal School zone reg applies in all states. Anyway... instead of giving the guy summaries of the Pa Laws, why not just give him a link to the Pa Uniform Firearms Act?

Please. Read, Know and Love the Pa UFA. If you have any questions about anything in the Pa UFA, ask. The Pa UFA is the final word on firearms law in Pa.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...-firearms-act/

You may own items such as brass knuckles, auto knives, blackjacks etc. but only as collector items. They are illegal to carry. I know of no ammo restrictions, nor magazine limitations. Hell, you can carry full auto if you can afford it...just don't leave home without the paperwork. You can also carry longguns as you would any other more concealable weapon, just not "at the ready". You may not, under any circumstances transport a longgun loaded. Watch out for Philly cops, in many cases they either don't know or don't care about the laws. You may legally record officers if stopped for any reason. Key words to remember if dealing with police...."Am I being detained or am I free to go?" They sometimes go on fishing expeditions and as long as your talking, their looking for a reason to cite you for something. It's a pity, not all cops are jerks but the minority who are have given many of us reason to not want to deal with any of them.

You can also own bb guns and slingshots without facing 3 years in prison.

Your going to enjoy the sense of greater freedom PA affords it's citizens. It's not perfect but we're continually working on that and making headway.

Go to your local state representative or Sheriff's Office and pick up the book about PA firearm laws. If it's a gun law in PA, it's in that book.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast