Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Juniata County)

Default 22LR Fun Shoot, Lots of steel **UPDATE**

If you like to shoot a lot of rounds down range, I think you'll have a lot of fun!

Sign ups start at 10:00, Practice/Sight-in at 11:00, competition starts at noon. (If you can’t come until after noon, you can still shoot.)

All stages rotate at 10 minute intervals. Rifle section is $5/round (stages 1,2a,2b,3) Shoot it as many times as you wish.

Stage 1 Rifle: Zombie Groundhogs: From a bench, engage as many targets as possible (at least 20 3-1/2" swingers) from 50 to 200 yards. 10 minutes, unlimited rounds. A spotter will confirm hits before you can move on to the next distant target.

Stage 2a Rifle: Shoot for score paper punch. From a bench, shoot for score at 10 bulls, 1 shot each bull @100 yards. Unlimited sighters.

Stage 2b Rifle: Silhouettes. From the offhand position, try to knock down 20 1/5 scale NRA silhouettes at 20/50/75/100 yards. 20 shot limit.

Stage 3 Rifle: Dueling tree with a twist. Two shooters, two 4 spoon resetting targets, and a 6 spoon dueling tree at 40 yards. Standing position. You have to knock the 4 spoons up on your side, before engaging the dueling tree. First shooter to have all the spoons up on the resetting target, and the spoons on the tree on the competitors’ side wins. If a spoon on your resetting target happens to go down, you have to get them up before going back to the dueling tree. Bring lots of mags. (We’ll bracket the winners/losers and run a side game here at some point during the day)

Pistol stage (optional, 22LR only, $1/round): Dueling tree at 25 yards, 10 minutes time limit.

Wobble Trap - we'll have the trap range open also ($3.50/round 25 birds), so if you want to bring your shotgun, and shoot between rounds, it’s a short walk away from the rifle range. We run our wobble from the 16 yard trap pads.

Suggestions: Bring lots of Ammo, you'll need it. Also, bring lots of mags. I'm bringing 2 rifles - a scoped bolt 22 for stages 1&2, and a AR22 for the duel. Bring a 22 Pistol, and shotgun if you can. I'll gladly make my rest and bags available to use when I'm not shooting if you need them.

I'm not requiring Pre-registration deposit or anything, but I would like to know roughly how many to expect. Please PM me, or reply to the thread that you're coming.

We'll have Hot dogs, Hamburgers and drinks available.

The shoot will be at Juniata Sportsmen's Club. It’s located between Port Royal, and Mifflin, on route 333.

From State College, take 322 East, to the Route 35 Mifflintown\McAlisterville exit. Turn Right, go through Mifflintown. Cross the Juniata River, stay on 35 through Mifflin, past the custard stand on the left. About a 1/4 mile past the custard stand, turn Left on Route 333. Go a couple miles; look for our sign on the right- -but you need to turn LEFT into the driveway, which we share with Route 333 Supply. Follow the lane up the hill, past the clubhouse, past the trap range to the rifle range on the left.

From Harrisburg, take 322 west to the Route 75/Port Royal exit. Take 75 toward Port Royal. Cross the Juniata River, stay on 75 through Port Royal. A the end of town turn RIGHT on to Route 333, go about a mile, turn Right into the driveway for Route 333 Supply. Follow the lane up the hill, past the clubhouse, past the trap range to the rifle range on the left.

******UPDATE BELOW*******

Slight change in plan. I just found out at our club meeting, that the Standing Stone Traditional Archery and Muzzle Loaders club is having a 2 day shoot Sept 17-18 at our club grounds. Missed that on the calendar.

What this means for this shoot is that we might not have the use of the Trap Range. They typically use some areas of our trap range, and shot fall zone for their archery target walk. It all depends on their turnout- -if they get a good turnout, the shotgun range will be closed, however, if they get a low turnout, they will have bugged out and we can open the trap range up.

So….bring your shotgun, but you possibly might not have the opportunity to shoot it.

BUT, if you’re also into Traditional Archery (Recurve only, no compound bows), or Traditional Muzzle loading, bring them (black powder, patch and ball, open sights only). They have a wide variety of contests going. Traditional = the guys who dress up in Daniel Boone outfits.

22 Rifle and Pistol area is going on as advertised! Weather on Sunday should be good; they’re calling for Sunny skies, with a High of 70.

(Juniata County)

Default Re: 22LR Fun Shoot, Lots of steel

After a review of our range and available shooting positions, we've made a slight change in the course of fire.

We're changing the dueling stage - new game - WAR!

2 shooters, 5 minutes, 50 rounds, shot offhand. Each shooter has a pair of 4 spoon self resetting targets, one at 30 yard, the other at about 45.
    Object of the game - have as many spoons up on your 2 targets at the end of 5 minutes as possible.
    Strategy will be to conserve enough ammo to knock down your foes' targets, and put a few back up on your side, before he can put any of his back up, before time expires.

We're moving the dueling tree (2 tree's actually) to the 25 yard Pistol/Aux end - $1/each, gets you 3 minutes on the dueling tree's, and other assorted plates and targets. We'll have a basic set of rules in place (equal rounds both shooters), BUT if each participant is well equipped, we'll let them set the rules (I.E. if both shooters have 150 rounds loaded - go at it!) If they want to shoot pistol vs rifle, both kneeling, etc - the duelers set the rules.

I think this will be a good time - let me know if you're planning on attending, so I can have adequate supplies on hand. There is a roof over our rifle range, and another roof close, so if there are some scattered showers, it should not be an issue with running the shoot. Come on out!

Bump. I think this thing is going to be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PA452 View Post
    Bump. I think this thing is going to be a lot of fun.

I also think so.

Default Re: 22LR Fun Shoot, Lots of steel **UPDATE**

Thanks again for setting this up, Rob. Great meeting you and everyone else.

For those that didn't make it, if another one is put on I highly recommend it. You don't need expensive equipment (I did all the steel shooting out to 200 yards with my scope set at 4x), the ammo is cheap, and we had a great group of people and an awesome range setup. I've never had so many steel targets in front of me at one time. It was a blast.

I was hoping to get more pics, but I only got a few. Most of the time when there was action, I was either shooting or spotting.

––––––––––––––––––––––––
    This shows much of the setup, although many of the targets are hard to see.

A little closer with the silhouette targets highlighted. They were a challenge to hit standing. 20 targets with 25 rounds. The most I got was 16.

Some of the marksmen in action:

Still at it:

Taking out either the 75 or 100 yard silhouettes. And I thought holding up my rifle for an extended period of time was tiring :

(Juniata County)

Default Re: 22LR Fun Shoot, Lots of steel **UPDATE**

PA452 - Thanks for posting pics!

What did you like the best? Worst? Suggestions?

I'm working on making more of the swingers, and hope to have some 4-1/2"ers soon- -they would probably work better for the 100+ yard targets than the 3-1/2'ers, but you had no trouble hitting them all in 7-1/2 minutes with style - Suppressed CZ off a bi-pod!

My thoughts (everything at 10 minute switches)

Bench 1: paper - at 50 and 100 like before. Unlimited sighters.
    Bench 2: 20 swingers to 200, like before. (maybe more than 20 targets if I can get them built) Unlimited shots.
    Bench 3: Silhouettes (need to put something white behind the targets though, to make them stand out better) 25 shots seemed to work ok.
    Bench 4: Race - flip 16 plates up (using the four, 4 target reseting stands we were using for WAR) unlimited shots, timed.

Bench 5 & 6: Fun area - dueling trees, etc.

I found a target in the archives of the club - its 2 plates, one high, one low, on a strap thats threaded in the middle, on a piece of all thread - one shooter has the top target, and his hits move the targets to the left, bottom shooters' hits move the target to the right - shooters version of tug-of-war. We could throw it out there some where.

Date? My Sundays in October are full. Any Saturdays work? 8:00 start or 1:00 start? Hunting season is also coming, getting the range might be a problem.