Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Re: What did you buy yourself today (Photo thread)...

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Nice, clean and beautiful it is but compact it's not. That picture doesn't reflect how huge it is. It feel like a Desert Eagle and the slide release is a stretch to reach with my thumb. At my age there isn't much stuff that I leave unused as I'm going to kick one of these days so I may as well enjoy my loot. Range reports are that they are pretty accurate but that has yet to be tested...and if it doesn't stop raining someday it might be quite a while.
    Kick eh? I understand that feeling, with my diabetes and other major health issues the MD's say on avg. I can expect to lop off at least ten years normal life expectancy (normal for a nonsmoking US born male is 76.5 years). I'll be there in one year when I turn 66. Man it still sounds strange to say or type that number! Hey, at least you have loot to spend and I can't blame you at all for having some fun! With age I have noticed how the weight of a long gun makes a difference! When I was issued toy gun* in 72' (the improved M-16 M-16A1) it was so light and weird looking I did not like it at all! Fast forward to the current era I bought a Bushmaster Dissipator NIB for nostalgic reasons. When I got it home and loaded with an 30 rd mag of HP it was very heavy! I thought I was getting weak, but soon realized the bull barrell etc added that extra weight.....but I am getting off topic! You mentioned accuracy? I was surprised at the good accuracy of the clunky Springfield, because I couldn't hit anything with the Army .45, or a friends Kimber (!) .45. I too like outdoor ranges especially non-supervised like pond mountain range here in TN. If not too personal a question why don't you try your .45 out at an indoor range?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ProSee4 View Post
    Kick eh? I understand that feeling, with my diabetes and other major health issues the MD's say on avg. I can expect to lop off at least ten years normal life expectancy (normal for a nonsmoking US born male is 76.5 years). I'll be there in one year when I turn 66. Man it still sounds strange to say or type that number! Hey, at least you have loot to spend and I can't blame you at all for having some fun! With age I have noticed how the weight of a long gun makes a difference! When I was issued toy gun* in 72' (the improved M-16 M-16A1) it was so light and weird looking I did not like it at all! Fast forward to the current era I bought a Bushmaster Dissipator NIB for nostalgic reasons. When I got it home and loaded with an 30 rd mag of HP it was very heavy! I thought I was getting weak, but soon realized the bull barrell etc added that extra weight.....but I am getting off topic! You mentioned accuracy? I was surprised at the good accuracy of the clunky Springfield, because I couldn't hit anything with the Army .45, or a friends Kimber (!) .45. I too like outdoor ranges especially non-supervised like pond mountain range here in TN. If not too personal a question why don't you try your .45 out at an indoor range?
    Because I'm a cheap bastard, just ask my friends (and enemies). And my range is about 6 miles while the indoor ranges are probably 10 or more.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    i have one of those... stupid quiet with a can on it.
    Yeah,with standard velocity stuff its not much louder than dry firing. Funny though that it makes almost no difference with high velocity bulk pack crap.

Because I'm a cheap bastard, just ask my friends (and enemies). And my range is about 6 miles while the indoor ranges are probably 10 or more.
    Got it! I only go to an indoor range when its free or reduced cost. And the one I go to only allows pistols and use their ammo at that. I had never been to an indoor range until the shop that I bought a charter arms bulldog which came with free range passes. I think he threw in five visits for the .44 (its income related). Hey you may have received lifetime free range use with a purchase of a Mk23!
    “I don't believe in empirical science. I only believe in a priori truth.” ~ Kurt Gödel

(Dauphin County)

I travel more than 6 miles to my club, Harrisburg Hunters, but the 25-yd indoor range is available all the time, except for league shoots, and allows any pistol caliber at least up to .45, which is the biggest one I own.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Dauphin County)

Tomorrow I’m picking up an unfired wz.88 “Tantal”, a Y-serial Century build. Seller claims it’s been sitting in the box since it was built 7/1/11.

It’s my third attempt to get a good one. The first shot well but had other issues and I sold it on. The second looked great but keyholed every shot through it of 60gr ammo at 25 and 50 yds. I had spoken extensively about my keyholing concern; the seller claimed it did not keyhole for him using 7n6 at 100 yds, but was a gentleman about it and took it back. So now, I found this one. Build date and serial number suggest it should have a NoDak Spud receiver and a ‘good’ barrel. As soon as I inspect and lubricate it I’ll go punch some paper and hope for nice .214” round holes.

Here’s hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    Tomorrow I’m picking up an unfired wz.88 “Tantal”, a Y-serial Century build. Seller claims it’s been sitting in the box since it was built 7/1/11.

It’s my third attempt to get a good one. The first shot well but had other issues and I sold it on. The second looked great but keyholed every shot through it of 60gr ammo at 25 and 50 yds. I had spoken extensively about my keyholing concern; the seller claimed it did not keyhole for him using 7n6 at 100 yds, but was a gentleman about it and took it back. So now, I found this one. Build date and serial number suggest it should have a NoDak Spud receiver and a ‘good’ barrel. As soon as I inspect and lubricate it I’ll go punch some paper and hope for nice .214” round holes.

Here’s hoping.

When did Century stop using 223 barrels and start using the correct 5.45 barrels? I got into guns in 2008 and by 2011 people were still reporting real issues with these rifles.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    When did Century stop using 223 barrels and start using the correct 5.45 barrels? I got into guns in 2008 and by 2011 people were still reporting real issues with these rifles.
    My research suggests post-June 2011 and either TTL-C or Y prefix serials seem to have the 5.45mm 1:8 twist barrels. That’s why I’m hoping, but not certain, it’s a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    My research suggests post-June 2011 and either TTL-C or Y prefix serials seem to have the 5.45mm 1:8 twist barrels. That’s why I’m hoping, but not certain, it’s a good one.
    Good info thank's for sharing. Good luck and keep us posted with the results.

It was an AR15 birthday for me yesterday.

My wife got me a set of Brownells reproduction M16A1 furniture, repro 3 prong flash hider, and two Brownells 20 round mags. The UPS man dropped off a PSA mid length dissipator upper and things got assembled today.

My son gave me the BCM camp hat.
    Last edited by Hodgie; May 15th, 2019 at 06:51 PM.

Page 1413 of 1684 FirstFirst ... 413913131313631403140914101411141214131414141514161417142314631513 ... LastLast