Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Accurizing an m1 garand?

I seem to have a lot of luck with getting some very helpful information from some very nice people to il post another thread. I just received my service grade HRA M1 garland from the CMP about 2 weeks ago. Today was my first trip to the range with it. The accuracy is not that impressive and I am guessing it is due to 2 factors. My muzzle crown is pretty nicked up, and the stock is of new production.

The stock is boyds stock and is birch stained orange. I know that the USGI stocks are walnut but I don't have the cash for one now. Does anyone have any experience or advice for fitting an m1 garand stock? I have read that the garands legendary accuracy comes from its stock. And lastly, any advice on re-crowning? I have seen it done with a file, sand paper, and lapping material. Is this a good idea or should I pay a gun smith to do it on a lathe?

I uploaded a picture of the muzzle crown. Its pretty bad. Any advice on accurizing my baby would be greatly appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Accurizing an m1 garand?

What does the actual crown look like? The inside diameter of the barrel, right at the end. If it is clean, then the crown is fine. It is the last part of the barrel that touches the projectile. If it is buggered up, you can easily clean it up your self. Larry Potterfield from midwayusa has a short video on recrowning a barrel on youtube. I think more importantly, what did your barrel and chamber gauge at on erosion? It may be shooting the best it is ever going to shoot unless you rebarrel it.
    Jules

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    What does the actual crown look like? The inside diameter of the barrel, right at the end. If it is clean, then the crown is fine. It is the last part of the barrel that touches the projectile. If it is buggered up, you can easily clean it up your self. Larry Potterfield from midwayusa has a short video on recrowning a barrel on youtube. I think more importantly, what did your barrel and chamber gauge at on erosion? It may be shooting the best it is ever going to shoot unless you rebarrel it.
    Jules
    The muzzle and throat erosion are both a 2. I know its not a new match grade barrel and I do intend to have it re-barreled when this one is shot (no pun intended). How much is a re-barrel? I can get a new barrel from the CMP for 200, but how much is a good gunsmith going to charge?

2s are not that bad! I have never had one done, so I couldn't tell you what it would cost. How "inaccurate" is it. The tearm is relative. We can get into all kinds of monkey business about what kind of rest you were using, surplus ammo, match grade ammo, blah blah blah. I say shoot the shit out of it, and just try to wipe the grin off of your face every time you here your rifle "clang" out that clip. I bet even, if you are at the range down the line from some old timers, you may even see them breaking a smile when they hear it. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI

Jules

(Lycoming County)

I sent you a PM. but i would definatly do a cut and recrown the muzzle. the midway usa method is ok, but it would be more accurate if done on a lathe or using the manson reamers recrowning tool. good luck

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    How "inaccurate" is it.
    Jules
    ^ this. +1
    Toujours prêt

(Washington County)

A 2, according to my GCA chart, shows about 1000 rounds through. IIRC (its morning) it takes about 7-8K to really wear out the barrel.

(Centre County)

Join GCA (Garand Collectors Assoc) if you haven't already. $25 a year, the best info around. You can pose a question to them also.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    ^ this. +1
    +1 more.

What ammo were you using also?

Military guns are generally considered "accurate" with Minute Of Man.. Where as us sportsman use the Minute Of Angle measurements. If you're applying MOA to a MOM gun - you will be disappointed.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    +1 more.

What ammo were you using also?

Military guns are generally considered "accurate" with Minute Of Man.. Where as us sportsman use the Minute Of Angle measurements. If you're applying MOA to a MOM gun - you will be disappointed.
    I was using mil surp. Mostly Remmington and WRA. I wasn't expecting MOA, like I said, they were all hitting the target, just not in a tightly define group. It was kind of peppered. I was just curious if it was normal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast